The Backwards Compatibility Research Poll 2020 Edition

How important is BC in your console buying decision now?

• I don't care for BC much, but it's ok if the system is notably compromised for it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I want full BC, even if the next-gen experience is moderately compromised for it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It doesn't matter really as both MS and Sony have already heavily invested in BC as they have announced themselfs. Hardware in one case could have been 'compromised' but you can't go without BC this coming gen anymore.

I guess I'm boring. Only ps4 game I would like to play again is horizon zero dawn. But it would be nicer if sony made a remaster of it with ray tracing/... and made the price of remaster right. Similarly I would like to replay some ps3/ps2 games (mgs2/3/4) but I would rather buy a good quality remaster than play with BC.

That said, I don't object BC if it can be done without too much compromise. Having BC is clearly nice thing to have as not every game gets a good remaster in timely manner.

I had PS3 with ps2 BC: I used it once to test gran turismo and then never again. It's nice idea, but in practice I don't seem to care.

It doesn't matter really as both MS and Sony have already heavily invested in BC as they have announced themselfs. Hardware in one case could have been 'compromised' but you can't go without BC this coming gen anymore.
As it doesn't affect either of their policy making decisions, it never mattered. It'll be interesting to see if the views on B3D have changed much or whether people are still very much in favour of moving on and not looking back.

- We : How many poll choices can you put in that BC research poll thread ?
- Shifty: Yes.

I voted the first.

There needs to be multi-tiered polls.

Regardless, I want my purchases from prior generations to always be available to played on future hardware. I don't want to have to keep an old piece of hardware just to play something I purchased before. PC can do it, then consoles should do it too.

With that said, if future hardware has be to made in such a way in order for that to happen, then so be it. I don't care. Luckily I believe some smart decisions were made at least on the Microsoft side where I don't believe they comprised too much. My opinion might change when I get to try it out. Who knows maybe it's a train wreck? Will be nice to come back to this once it's released.

Tommy McClain

This kind of is similar to a post i made elsewhere but bc as we know it now takes a lot of burden off of devs and pubs to print entirely new skus. They can put out a patch for an upcoming ps4 game and because ps5 is bc they just can implement a linear increase res or fps in line with the hw power and advertise that upgrade for new and old users.

I expect that for all the sony exclusic

I don't partake in many old titles I have already played. But I love the ideal of picking up a console and playing first party or platform exclusive titles from a library that spans further back then the launch of that console. I still haven't picked up a PS4 but it would be very appealing to pick up a ps5 and still have access to all those titles that made the PS4 a must have for a lot of gamers.

Plus there are a lot of games in the xbox current library that I haven't played yet even though I have game pass. But, I don't want to be tied to the One X just to enjoy those titles in the future.

edit:

Who "wants" a compromised console? Willingness to accept a compromise is not the same as to desire it.

Last edited:
As it doesn't affect either of their policy making decisions, it never mattered. It'll be interesting to see if the views on B3D have changed much or whether people are still very much in favour of moving on and not looking back.
I haven't seen many people saying it's about moving on and not looking back, BC on a console is just convenience, keep your console and your account works on both on the same subscription if any. Even the DS4 was backported to work on PS3.

Unless sony goes with a stupid form factor, I'll end up with my fat ps3 on top of my ps5, and absolute 100% BC for almost every playstation discs ever made. I want real, perfect compatibility, or they shouldn't bother. They did give me what I want so far, I expect nothing less next gen.

I've always been on the don't care much for BC side and I can't say I have changed that stance, but I will admit to enjoying a few gold rewards 360 titles on my xbox one.

The potential for upgrades to the old titles adds to the usefulness, but I am not one that is going to sell my old hardware if there was really an old game I wanted to play.

A big reason for BC is about supporting On-going communities instead of wiping them out. Games are just significantly longer lasting commitments than before and many games have a much longer tail than before.
Being able to support that is critical for a lot of these titles.

Considering Sony’s investment into Destiny, I can’t see them wanting to toss away BC while players are well into PS5 but sitting around waiting for Destiny 3 unable to play without their PS4

Last edited:
A big reason for BC is about supporting On-going communities instead of wiping them out. Games are just significantly longer lasting commitments than before and many games have a much longer tail than before.
Being able to support that is critical for a lot of these titles.
Those can be supported through next-gen ports though. I expect Fortnite, Apex, and SoT to be getting next-gen upgrades. Heck, even Minecraft is getting a next-gen update. And games like these that are ongoing don't need a three year investment to get onto next-gen. They can begin as basic ports just up and running (in better framerate and resolution - oh look, multiplatforms that already have scalable engines for PC...) and build on next-gen features as they progress.

Considering Sony’s investment into Destiny
Destiny has a PC version. Porting that to PS5 means no need for PS4 BC.

Those can be supported through next-gen ports though. I expect Fortnite, Apex, and SoT to be getting next-gen upgrades. Heck, even Minecraft is getting a next-gen update. And games like these that are ongoing don't need a three year investment to get onto next-gen. They can begin as basic ports just up and running (in better framerate and resolution - oh look, multiplatforms that already have scalable engines for PC...) and build on next-gen features as they progress.
That's fine, but unless every single community is going to have a next gen port released from launch window forward, this is still going to be disruptive. There are a lot of titles out there. A lot of Call of Duties, only 1 Halo 5, or Gears of War, the Forza Communities, the Dark Souls ones, the Dreams ones just started etc. Not every title will be given a next gen port. Some undoubtedly will and that may not be ready right away, and some definitely won't be.

You need dual license support for porting. Which I guess can be a solved problem. You also need to make bigger decisions on whether the game will look enhanced and how it will work with the other player base. Destiny on PC and Console is actually 2 separate games now. After much pain they have forced developers to balance the game differently. Trivial, sure, somewhat, but I don't believe Destiny 2 will be ready for XSX PS5 on launch day.

Wanting something and not wanting any sacrifice is a badly constructed poll choice. People also want an inexpensive console and also no sacrifices in performance, which makes absolutely no sense. People want everything. How is this helping you reach any reasonable conclusion?

People want BC without compromise if it is in any way possible. It isn't. It's either costing in additional hardware (seems minimal in the case of PS5, but it was massive for the PS3), or in forcing a high-level API or in testing 4000+ titles, recompiling (sorry deassembling/reassembling) with a ridiculously low rate and redownloading a disc game. It will always have compromises whether gamers are techincal enough to understand them or not.

If there's a way to make it without "compromises" everyone will choose that, and so far nobody is being honest about assessing where the compromises are. Same for the pipe dream of having cross gen without causing any limitations to next gen.

Any poll like this would need a threshold impacting the market, changing a purchase intent. Because "I want XYZ if.." and everyone will buy it anyway is not a useful poll result. Some gamers will figure out whatever shape BC takes, they will stay on that platform anyway, regardless of how they wish it was using unicorn blood as heatsink compound.

* I adjusted the unicorn joke to avoid being low-brow. I am proud of myself.

With microsoft they did the work back during the xbox one generation to get the xbox and xbox 360 running and they have a large selection of games from those generations not only running on the xbox one but also enhanced for the xbox one. Through direct x / virtual machine wizardry they got going on it should be trivial to have all that running on the xsx. It also seems like xbox one games will run just fine.

I buy digital when I do purchase on console (all my pc stuff is digital) so it is nice to not have to keep older boxes out to play with. If I get a xbox series x I can take my launch day xbox one and give it to a friend or put it into my collection of consoles away in storage.

It creates a more compelling story for gamers and customers

None of the poll options work for me, but as I've said before I think b/c has increasingly become more important the past generation where the leaps in technology has eased. As I've also said [many] before, games' technology - in terms of controls, mechanics, and graphics - advanced hugely between PlayStation and PS2 and again between PS2 and PS3. Even when I could, I rarely played PS1 games on PS2, or PS2 games on PS3 because they did not age well.

Having to hookup my PS3 to play Modern Warfare, Ratchet & Clank (incl. the PS2 remaster), Motorstorm, Assassin's Creed 2, Elder Scrolls Oblivion, inFamous 1 + 2 and a few other gems was a pain in the arse. I do not want to lose my PS4 library. I was saying this in 2017.

What would your vote be if you could chose your own poll option? Sounds like you want BC and would thus pick one of those options based on what you're willing to sacrifice in the next-gen experience to get it.

Back