The Annual E3 Sony press conference thread, 2015 edition

They give reason to consider other platforms. Why buy PS4 for Shenmue if it's going to come out on PC? Could go PC instead. And if TLG can't hold a candle to its peers, plus it's been in development hell for years which invariably leads to poor games actually being released, is there all that much reason to get excited?

A powerful press conference ought to make a platform seem indispensable. By and large we don't get powerful press conferences any more. (Dreams may well be a PS4 system seller for me)

What peers is TLG supposed to hold a candle to exactly? There's really nothing else like it out there. Not now. Not for the forseeable future. Team Ico games were critical darlings that also attrackted a very avid, albeit rather small-ish fanbase. What they never did was attrackt the mass market. TLG is not gonna do that either. The odd low poly object here and there isn't gonna break its legs. Neither will 30 fps.
And the reason why people aren't gonna go with PC over PS4 in Shenmue's case is the same reason they never did in the past for any of the other countless multi-platform games.

What peers is TLG supposed to hold a candle to exactly?
Every game being made, when it comes to comparing visuals. And there are other games with an ICO like style artistry that are prettier than what's been shown here. The gameplay may be as special as ICO, but that doesn't make the game immune to comparisons.
And the reason why people aren't gonna go with PC over PS4 in Shenmue's case is the same reason they never did in the past for any of the other countless multi-platform games.
Things don't stay still. The reasons to avoid PC in the past aren't as strong as they were. Plus for people like eastmen who have a gaming capable PC, the announcement of a cross platform title on PS4 isn't going to make PS4 any more attractive. As a platform-agnostic announcement, it could be exciting, but it's not specific to Sony and in a Sony press conference, you'd expect more to exclusive to the platform. Otherwise you get the impression that there's not much special to the platform.

For me, reasons to get a PS4 instead of upgrading my PC are things like Wild, Dreams, and Uncharted. If it's multiplats I'm after, Shenmue, Assassin's Creed, No Man's Sky, SW: Battlefronts, and other titles shown by Sony, going the PC route is making more and more sense.

My only problem is it seems the bulk of sony's stuff is next year (if its not pushed back to 2017) and the last guardian looks rough like they haven't done anything with it in years.
There's already a bunch of game between now and holidays. Of those just on my radar, there is Arkham Knight, Until Dawn, Mad Max, MGS Phatom Pain, Tearaway, Fallout 4, Star Wars Battlefront plus all the annual predictables like COD and Assassin's Creed plus things like the Uncharted Collection and a bunch of indies.

For someone like me, Fallout 4 will easily keep me tied up until past Christmas. Four week after launch, I'm still wanding arond in the Witcher 3!

And it used to be that the 1st calendar quarter following Christmas was as desolute as the summer months but this year PS4 had Bloodborne, BF Hardlines, Dying Light and The Order 1886. I'm definitely looking for new things to play in this period so some slippage from what is generally a period with too many games into a period where there are too few works for me.

I think some people are really underestimating the importance of some these announcements at Sony's conference. IMO, this year's Sony conference will go down in E3's history as one of the most iconic moment of all time.

I'm not seeing it. It was better than last years conference, which I can't remember a single thing from (whcih says it all, really!) but I don't see this topping E3 2013 when new hardware launched. I found it interesting that with a couple of isolating sideways-smirk moemnts, neither Sony or Microsoft acknowledged each other. I can't remember what it was exactly but I did like Microsoft's subtle dig when talking about backwards compatibility.

It's like everybody has grown up and become civilized. Even the forums!

NEWSFLASH: the old PS3 trailer was not running on a real PS3!

Seriously guys just watch the HQ video of the TLG PS4 gameplay. It definitely does not look like a PS3 game, particularly in motion.

@London-boy If the PS3 game was running at ~15fps like Yosp has implied, 30fps on PS4 is already double the framerate and remember some remasters didn't even get their framerate doubled like GTA5.
The last paragraph is interesting

“The game is totally playable,” he said proudly, noting that Sony simply didn’t play it live during their E3 presentation because the artificial intelligence behind the big animal can’t be expected to behave in the most stage-demo-friendly way all the time. “We have a certain level of confidence about the launch window, which is why we showed it.”

I'm not sure of the last time I saw an E3 conference that was really exciting, but I can't say that this one from Sony is going into any kind of hall-of-fame. It was decent, but even relative to the past Sony E3 shows, there's no way this is bigger than showing PS2, PS3 or PS4, or even Morpheus last year. In terms of games, I don't even think this is the strongest group of announcements they've had. I know FF7 is a really popular title, but if a remake is a legendary announcement, then God help us all, because the only thing worse than Sequelitis is HD remasters and remakes. Hollywood can barely make a movie that isn't a sequel or a remake of an old movie or tv series. I guess the videogame industry is now the same thing. Let's not celebrate it. The strengths of the Sony show, to me, were not FF7 or Shenmue. I've said as much in the TLG thread, but I'm incredibly skeptical of that product. Media Molecule, Guerrilla and Naughty Dog were the real meat of the show.

And no, I didn't think the Microsoft conference was really exciting either. None of them are.

If you can't see how reviving three "assumed dead" fan-loved projects (and how they kept it a secret) and winning over marketing deals with several franchises is a big deal, nothing short of buying out the opponent will.

I don't see anywhere on the kickstarter citing they're exploring any other platforms except PC and PS4 at this time.
And rightfully so. We all know the game probably can't be done with 3-4 million, probably takes a lot more, but we all know Sony is backing the funding once the kickstarter has passed (and it has).

So please back up your claim factually, because I don't see it.

On the emotional side. I'll respect your comments but It's clear that anything associated with Sony doesn't ring a bell with you.
But yet you're here again in Sony's E3 discussion.

But they haven't. Final Fantasy is a multiplatform game that is now being kept timed/full exclusive because sony is paying for it. Remember the big hoopla when MS did the same thing with the same company last year and everyone got pissed and said how bad of a discision it is. Now its Sony doing it but that's A okay...

Shenmue is also being made possible by us. They launched a kickstarter to hedge their bets

From the kickstarter (scroll down to questions )
"
Will there be an Xbox/Wii U/Linux/Mac version for Shenmue 3?

Currently we are planning development only for PC (Windows) and PS4. Other platforms have not been decided yet."

So there is no exclusivity on the deal.

Squareenix guy said being made for PS4 only, make of that what you will.

Last Guardian looked like a PS3 game because it was a PS3 game, but having said that it looked far better than the first showing, but I guess the art being almost exactly the same makes it easier to make such a comment about it.

Its a game that has been missing for 5 years or more at this point and the graphics haven't even kept up with Ps3 games. Now its coming to the ps4 and looks like its in very rough shape graphicly. This was a game that I was willing to buy a ps4 for but my interest has cooled greatly.

There's already a bunch of game between now and holidays. Of those just on my radar, there is Arkham Knight, Until Dawn, Mad Max, MGS Phatom Pain, Tearaway, Fallout 4, Star Wars Battlefront plus all the annual predictables like COD and Assassin's Creed plus things like the Uncharted Collection and a bunch of indies.

For someone like me, Fallout 4 will easily keep me tied up until past Christmas. Four week after launch, I'm still wanding arond in the Witcher 3!

And it used to be that the 1st calendar quarter following Christmas was as desolute as the summer months but this year PS4 had Bloodborne, BF Hardlines, Dying Light and The Order 1886. I'm definitely looking for new things to play in this period so some slippage from what is generally a period with too many games into a period where there are too few works for me.

I'm not seeing it. It was better than last years conference, which I can't remember a single thing from (whcih says it all, really!) but I don't see this topping E3 2013 when new hardware launched. I found it interesting that with a couple of isolating sideways-smirk moemnts, neither Sony or Microsoft acknowledged each other. I can't remember what it was exactly but I did like Microsoft's subtle dig when talking about backwards compatibility.

It's like everybody has grown up and become civilized. Even the forums!

The problem is you listed a majority of multiplatform titles. IF your a pc gamer your going to find the best experience for them there. But you can also get them on an xbox.

Sony is bringing few exclusives this year.

That is why this e3 for them was unimpressive to me. They lacked exclusive games to make their platform in 2015 more exciting than the pc or xbox . 2016 may be more impressive but we don't even know how much of what they showed off will land in 2016. FF and Shenmue most certainly will not

But they haven't. Final Fantasy is a multiplatform game that is now being kept timed/full exclusive because sony is paying for it.
final Fantasy is not being kept exclusive. A remark of an old game that appeared on PlayStation and PC and fans of the game basically are old PS owners. Future FF's are multiplatform. In contrast, though the TR franchise remained multiplat, the core game and the sequel to the recent big hit was made exclusive.

If Sony had announced that the next iteration of FF was exclusive, then you'd expect people to be up in arms. Although even then, it wouldn't be a sequel of an ongoing story and FF is not such an important franchise to XBox - PS3 FFXIII sold nearly double XB360's in US in the first month.

Most of those are quite Kinecty. Where are the 'proper' full games. Does make me worry about the tech a bit.

On the plus side - no more charts! Although the LBP charts were pretty clever way back when.

Edit: I do not know who WON E3, but I did really enjoy Bethesda. PC I would get bored and then come back later, get bored, repeat. Not a bad format, and I guess really they needed time to get through the 25 presenters.

Videos linked at the website don't look bad. Naysayers saying the games wouldn't even be PS3 quality seem disproven. Perfectly serviceable graphics for an immersive experience IMO.

This was a game that I was willing to buy a ps4 for but my interest has cooled greatly.
So you were willing to buy a ps4 for a game that until 2 days ago everyone thought was cancelled.

Sorry but I call bs on this, seems like a troll attempt.

Most of those are quite Kinecty. Where are the 'proper' full games. Does make me worry about the tech a bit.
Who's going to invest in AAA titles for an unproven peripheral? It's inevitable that the first steps will be non-committal, because you don't bet the farm on long-odds unless you're a maverick. Also AAA titles with AAA visuals won't port directly. You'll need games to be AAA and VR targeted to get Morpheus releases with 2D releases to suit. Cross-reality games might be few and far between actually, which means you'll need a substantial VR install base to justify specific targeting.

So you were willing to buy a ps4 for a game that until 2 days ago everyone thought was cancelled.
Interestingly, a search of eastmen's posts in the TLG thread show no contributions other than an expectation it'd be quietly announced as cancelled last year. For a game that could sell him a PS4, he hadn't shown any interest prior to this revelation here that it's no longer pretty enough to! ;)

Leave eastmen alone! He has 8 or so X360s/PS3 around the house and god knows how many other consoles. He eats PS4s for breakfast.

Back