The Annual E3 Sony press conference thread, 2015 edition

Really liked this Sony conference. They kept the initial imagery of games to about 40 seconds (very restrained for Sony) and Shawn Layden's intro of marketing babble was just a minute or two. I caught: "experience", "creatively", "evolve", "community", "new reality", "drive innovation", "emotional narrative", "global collaboration and connection", "cultural zeitgeist", "expansive", "inclusive", "boundless", "socially connected" and "redefining" then my brain shut down. Wow, marketing people really do speak a different language! :yep2:

No financial stuff, just a bunch of games, some predictable, some interesting, and of course the obligatory Japanese dude speaking a few words (Shenmue III). Horizon Zero Dawn, No Man's Sky, FireWatch, whatever the heck that Media Molecule thing was, really left an impression amongst all the other stuff.

But seriously, what the f*** was Andrew House getting a round of applause for a f***ing TV announcement!?! Does nobody remember that Microsoft TV thing, the Xbox One? :runaway: Surreal times indeed.

Overall though, bravo Sony. That was a big improvement but I skipped all the predictable AAA stuff (BLOPS3, AC, Destiny etc) except for Uncharted 4 because Victor goddamn Sullivan! :yes:

Really liked this Sony conference. They kept the initial imagery of games to about 40 seconds (very restrained for Sony) and Shawn Layden's intro of marketing babble was just a minute or two. I caught: "experience", "creatively", "evolve", "community", "new reality", "drive innovation", "emotional narrative", "global collaboration and connection", "cultural zeitgeist", "expansive", "inclusive", "boundless", "socially connected" and "redefining" then my brain shut down. Wow, marketing people really do speak a different language! :yep2:

No financial stuff, just a bunch of games, some predictable, some interesting, and of course the obligatory Japanese dude speaking a few words (Shenmue III). Horizon Zero Dawn, No Man's Sky, FireWatch, whatever the heck that Media Molecule thing was, really left an impression amongst all the other stuff.

But seriously, what the f*** was Andrew House getting a round of applause for a f***ing TV announcement!?! Does nobody remember that Microsoft TV thing, the Xbox One? :runaway: Surreal times indeed.

Overall though, bravo Sony. That was a big improvement but I skipped all the predictable AAA stuff (BLOPS3, AC, Destiny etc) except for Uncharted 4 because Victor goddamn Sullivan! :yes:
The TV announcement IMO was very good, it was short and to the point. Launching in new cities and most importantly the first completely Al a carte option for channels. That's pretty huge and I don't think it has been covered properly yet.

The TV announcement IMO was very good, it was short and to the point. Launching in new cities and most importantly the first completely Al a carte option for channels. That's pretty huge and I don't think it has been covered properly yet.
I'm sure some people at Microsoft must just be shaking their heads. It's the Kobayashi Maru, Microsoft. You can't win this because the rules change all the time. If Microsoft announce the same TV deal tomorrow, they'll by ripped to shreds.

I'm sure some people at Microsoft must just be shaking their heads. It's the Kobayashi Maru, Microsoft. You can't win this because the rules change all the time. If Microsoft announce the same TV deal tomorrow, they'll by ripped to shreds.
Its not the same thing, people want a console that can support IPTV but they aren't willing to pay an extra hundred dollars for it just BC you can talk to it and especially so if it means you're getting weaker hardware.

A cloud based TV solution that is platform agnostic has DVR function in the cloud that is truly Al a carte is pretty innovative.

Gave it a day to think about Sony's conference because my emotions were all over the place yesterday. Sony did so well to stoke my feelings for some of the games! I mean Shenmue, TLG and FF7 remake? WOWZERS. The internets were on fire yesterday!

But after calming own and getting to grips with what was really shown and coming out in next 6 months was the downer for me that brought back the objectiveness. Nonetheless, they played a great show, hyped beyond belief and showed games after games (instead of their sales talk). Another reality check was Vita which is pretty much dead and little info on VR.

In anycase, UC4 and Horizon (my Sony game of the show) will make me get a PS4. Just not this year and that's OK. Overall a SOLID 8 showing for me based on the near-term tangibles.

True, I did not feel like applauding when he announced IPTV availability in places I don't live anyway... I felt like drinking more.

I guess Andrew House has Jedi powers, and my mind is too powerful to fall for it. Or the influence doesn't pass through the twitch stream.

True, I did not feel like applauding when he announced IPTV availability in places I don't live anyway... I felt like drinking more.

I guess Andrew House has Jedi powers, and my mind is too powerful to fall for it. Or the influence doesn't pass through the twitch stream.

Not to beat a dead horse but I think the applause was for the al a carte option for all channels, that is pretty huge and I'll be looking into it when they get to my market. Sling is decent but if I could truly get a cloud based DVR option for the 3 or 4 channels we'd want that would be something pretty revolutionary in. Granted we don't know the cost of individual channels yet but its a step in the right direction, something consumers have been asking for.

I wouldn't be so quick to discount Sony providing some type of funding for Shenmue 3. The series has been dormant for a long time and the interest to bring it back lies with several parties. I'd expect more details of its development to trickle out over the coming months. While not wholly unexpected, I'm extremely excited for the prospects of Shenmue 3. It's one of those game series I wish were able to be fully complete.. It was innovative for its day even if many gameplay aspects are dated by today's standards. The scope was epic, and unfortunately with the death of the Dreamcast the entire story was never to be experienced. Now it's a reality. This may be the best E3 in the longest time for that alone.

The game’s all-star development team consists of producer Yosuke Saito (DRAGON QUEST® X / NieR), director YOKO TARO (Drakengard® / NieR), character designer Akihiko Yoshida from CyDesignation, Inc. (FINAL FANTASY® XIV / BRAVELY DEFAULT®), game designer Takahisa Taura from PlatinumGames Inc. (Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance), and composer Keiichi Okabe from MONACA, Inc. (TEKKEN / Drakengard / NieR). PlatinumGames Inc. will be amplifying the action-oriented combat and building a beautifully diverse visual experience that will fully harness the graphical power of the PlayStation®4 system.

All very US centric of course. We still don't have Powers, the TV show Sony made, here in the UK. But we had this discussion already so no point going there again.

To be perfectly honest Sony has a very MS style conference.... very little first party, timed DLC exclusivity, focus on multiplats.... that said its ironic to see MS loyalist trash the conference and uneasy Sony fans try to defend a show that in previous years they would have been critical of had MS done the same things. Personally I think the consumer is the winner bc in spite of the lack of first party software I believe its coming and I was impressed with MS showed in that regard which is good for everybody. For me the show was a B+/A- bc of the fan service, take that out and its a solid B at best.

Last edited:
I dont see any real deliberate trashing going on here, outside of a very minor handful, but then again you had the exact same thing going on in the other E3 threads with the roles reversed. They both had better shows this year than last year.

Don't mistake honest opinions on pacing or lack of graphical stunning or wow factors as unwarranted fanboyism.

I know some XBOX One dudes in here will kill me but since I own a PS4 and since you know....pure PSX nostalgia.....I kinda wish FF7 is exclusive to PS4 FOREVER :p

*runs away and hides* :runaway:

I know some XBOX One dudes in here will kill me but since I own a PS4 and since you know....pure PSX nostalgia.....I kinda wish FF7 is exclusive to PS4 FOREVER :p

*runs away and hides* :runaway:

PC FF7 (original) snubs your snobbery already. :p

Back