The Annual E3 Sony press conference thread, 2015 edition

It is not necessarily bad that they didn't spend too much time on that during the conference, but they should have said something like 'this is not something for the show, this is something you have to try yourself'. Will be interesting to see what they have to show - right now the impression is that perhaps they don't have that much to show yet. They're still almost a year off launch though, so we'll see.

Hmmmm, not sure what to think. I'll get the negative out of the way first. Is this the first time Sony has shown more shooter's than Microsoft? It seems they really want to secure the console to have if you want to play a shooter crown.

Congrats Sony on spending more money to secure timed exclusives as well as exclusive DLC. That's a real congrats, BTW. As little as 2 years ago, they wouldn't have been able to justify the cost of this many paid timed exclusives, as the console division wasn't doing so great. Now that they are, they can actually spend some cash to boost the Playstation brand. And that was needed as...

It was almost all timed exclusives due to the lack of first or third party exclusives. I probably wouldn't have noticed it as much if I hadn't watched the other conference first.

And TV stuff... And too much talking...

Anyway, on to the good stuff. :)

WTF? The Last Guardian, might, actually be a thing? This is assuming that it isn't being shown and then thrown into the closet for the next 5 years. Looks dated, and lots of questions about the gameplay, but at least it's a thing still. I can't say I'm as excited about it as I was when it was shown the first 2 years, but I'm excited that it still exists.

Horizon looks good, but uh...what? Hunting indigenous wildlife robots that are grazing on plants? With giant T-Rex robots as herders/guardians? That's got to be one interesting backstory to explain why the wildlife are robots. :p But crazyness aside graphics look decent.

FF VII remake. Better have turned based or phased turned based combat or I'm going to riot. If it's some real time shit, I'm going to blow a fuse. If it's got a real FF7 combat system, this will be fantastic news. If it's got a real time combat system, they can go F. themselves.

Shenmue Kickstarter. Didn't see that coming in so many ways. Sony pandering a kickstarter for one. Shenmue might be a thing is another. Shenmue having a successful Kickstarter, no surprise. If there's a secret big name publisher that wasn't mentioned as part of the Kickstarter, be prepared for a mini-shizzle storm on the internet as people blow up over the fact that there is a major publisher behind it. It's happened with some Kickstarter projects in the past. Still, it always makes me happy to see a game receive successful funding from fans who have been dying to see more of it. I myself have backed sequels to games from my past or just to reward developer's of games from my past.

Uncharted 4 graphics look great, but Assassin's Creed Unity isn't far off. Multiplatform really showing their strength. Battlefront maybe the best looking game shown at E3 so far.

Agreed. I think this is the first time I'm truly impressed by Uncharted's graphics. It looks good with great view distances. Although the demo was still quite linear while giving the illusion of having freedom to go where you want. For example, everytime the APC crashed back into view there was a convenient "alternate" path to take. Only it wasn't really an "alternate" path as opposed to a path you have to take, because not taking it means following the APC which would kill you. But often the illusion is more important than the reality. Although who knows maybe you really do have a lot more freedom. And that little niggle aside it really does look good.

Also, agreed, that so far Star Wars Battlefront is the best looking game shown thus far for E3. Interesting that none of the exclusives is nearly as good looking.

MM's Dreams didn't even seemed to be a game.

This seemed more like an interactive movie creator than a game creator. Looked really nice though. And even if it is only an interactive movie maker, it'd be amazing to see what people's imaginations could come up with. Perhaps at Paris they'll show something that hints at how it can be used to actually create a game.

One last thing I noticed is how there wasn't as much attention paid to indie developers as there was in the past.

Overall I have to agree that this is probably one of Sony's best conferences (a lot of talking but not as much worthless boring talking as in previous years). Although I really expected to see more real exclusives. It probably hurts that some of them have been delayed. Also, definitely not going to win best E3 conference of 2015. Now to wait for the other conferences.

Regards,
SB

About TLG, yes, the game looks like the PS3 game up-resed + sharper textures at 1080p. But maybe the PS3 game was running capped at 20fps (or even 15fps at times) like Shadow of colossus on PS2? So there is that to put into consideration (maybe that's why they'd never released the game on PS3?).

Because the gameplay video I have watched is technically decent for a PS4 exclusive game (remember Little big planet 3 on PS4?) when you ignore the fact that it's just an up-resed PS3 game.

I got the feeling that Dreams is just a more general entertainment construction kit. LBP was sort of a platforming game construction kit that could be bendt and abused to do other type of games and movie'ish stuff.

This time it looks like MM, just said, to heck with it, lets just make an editor which you can use to create games, music and video if you want.

Today we’re showing you a glimpse into some of our dreams. In makingLittleBigPlanet and Tearaway, we’ve learnt a lot about digital creativity. The next step on this journey is Dreams.

Dreams is the space you go to where you go to play and experience the dreams of Media Molecule and our community. It’s also a space in which to create your own dreams, whether they’re games, art, films, music or anything in-between and beyond. Quite frankly, it’s a lovely place and we’d very much like you to visit as soon as we’re ready to accept guests.

If any of this sounds like your cup of tea, or you’re curious about what this all really means, watch out for Paris Games Week in October.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015...perience-from-media-molecule-announced-at-e3/

Out of the box the Sony Media Player works so much better than the Microsoft App, impressive job!
Very disappointed that there isn't any GT7 news.

And, as expected, the playback quality is quite a bit better than running my Macbook through HDMI to the TV, while playing videos on VLC or Quicktime.

Nice one. I love good and free things.

And, as expected, the playback quality is quite a bit better than running my Macbook through HDMI to the TV, while playing videos on VLC or Quicktime.

Nice one. I love good and free things.

Wut?

Playback quality is better than VLC over HDMI? That's not really possible.

hmm...for some reason the media player cant play most of my photos and videos on my HDD

Here's the supported codecs. Maybe your files aren't in one of these formats?

Video
MKV
  • Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2
  • Audio: MP3, AAC LC, AC-3(Dolby Digital)
AVI
  • Visual: MPEG4 ASP, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2
MP4
  • Audio: AAC LC, AC-3(Dolby Digital)
MPEG-2 TS
  • Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2, MPEG2 Visual
  • Audio: MP2(MPEG2 Audio Layer 2), AAC LC, AC-3(Dolby Digital)
  • AVCHD: (.m2ts, .mts)
Photo
  • JPEG (based on DCF 2.0/Exif 2.21)
  • BMP
  • PNG
Music
  • MP3
  • AAC (M4A)

Here's the supported codecs. Maybe your files aren't in one of these formats?

Video
MKV
AVI
  • Visual: MPEG4 ASP, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2
MP4
  • Audio: AAC LC, AC-3(Dolby Digital)
MPEG-2 TS
  • Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2, MPEG2 Visual
  • Audio: MP2(MPEG2 Audio Layer 2), AAC LC, AC-3(Dolby Digital)
  • AVCHD: (.m2ts, .mts)
Photo
  • JPEG (based on DCF 2.0/Exif 2.21)
  • BMP
  • PNG
Music
  • MP3
  • AAC (M4A)
They are JPEG and MP4s. Weird

What's the recap? Seems little major was shown. Media Molecule's Dreams is tantalising. Nothing on Wild or the other exclusives shown in previous years? Nothing big about VR?
A couple of megatons that hit the right spots in people's nostalgia, a new Shenmue, FF VII temporary exclusive -or is it a full-fledged exclusive game?-. Enough to win people's hearts, and impact on the media, which moves sales -as if the console wasn't selling well already-. The ICO game is alive, and I've never played ICO but that's major. Horizon is another good proposal. No sign of Killzone, but it's no surprise such a lacklustre series has been going on for so long. A bit of Call of Duty. No Gran Turismo 7 -the game I'd like to see in a video and screenshots but anyways-. Destiny exclusive DLC. And the multimedia player.

That's about it more or less. Some say this is the end of the world, that nothing can top it and it was the best E3 conference because of that. Others say it wasn't that much of a big deal. But they made a lot of noise and media headlines with some announcements. I was mainly interested in GT7 and the other games are a curiosity for me. In general I'd rate Sony's conference with a 7.8. It was full of surprises (which could make it the best conference in my eyes- and good announcements , and a bit lacking when it comes to certain exclusives --Gran Turismo-, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I never played Shenmue...and I really don't know if I should care or not about this IP?!?

Doesn't look special imo? What is all the buzz about?
Same here. Shenmue is loved by many people for several reasons, apparently. The Sega nostalgia perhaps, maybe because it was open world. I don't know, but Eurogamer had a very interesting interview with the author, iirc. So the new Shenmue can be a game changer. I still don't get why Sony didn't back up the project themselves, it was just 2 million for god's sake, and you are shabby when you ask people to help you fund a game like this.

How so? I haven't had a chance to try this on the PS4 and don't have an XBOne yet.

I just point my PS4 at the same media server, and with the XB1 there was plenty of problems, i think i mentioned them here, but it was so unstable. I kind figured that maybe my Synology nas was part of it, well it isn't anymore.

Media Molecue is up. New IP called Dreamers.

I'm watching the Sony press conference now and just got to this. I have no idea what I'm looking at although I loved the images with the polar bears in. Perhaps it's Sony's answer to Project Spark?

It really could be anything or nothing. The crowd went nuts and they don't what it is either! :runaway:

I'm watching the Sony press conference now and just got to this. I have no idea what I'm looking at although I loved the images with the polar bears in. Perhaps it's Sony's answer to Project Spark?

It really could be anything or nothing. The crowd went nuts and they don't what it is either! :runaway:

It's like they wanted to get hype for the sake of it. It happened for TLG as well and then (at least to me) a polite let down applause after they saw it---check out some of the reactions in the crowd.

Same here. Shenmue is loved by many people for several reasons, apparently.

I just watched a streamer I follow fairly religiously finish both Shenmue and Shenmue 2. They are the type of games that are fun to watch someone else play - terrible and often hilarious voice acting, frustrating / tedious looking minigames (the start of Shenmue 2 features an absolutely awful box stacking minigame), a large but highly segmented world (like a primitive version of the Yakuza series), lots of QTEs and ridiculous game play elements (elevators that only stop on some floors). The story is fun though and the battle system (when you get a chance to use it) looks like Virtua Fighter. For the time it was probably pretty cool though even back then aspects of it would have induced some to snap their controllers in half.

Hopefully Shenmue 3 doesn't try to fully maintain the jankiness of the original.

Someone already nailed it by calling the Sony E3 conference fan service, TLG, Shenmue, Street Fighter & FF7 that's a lot for one conference and I don't think we'll see anything like that again.

Back