The anisotropic filtering perf. now makes sense...

Joe DeFuria said:
Bug? Surely it couldn't be...aren't you constantly extolling the virtues of nVidia's drivers as the "gold standard?" How could such a major bug like this make it into their drivers at all, let alone still exist?

This makes the whole "High Poly Bug" thing that ATI went through look like child's play. ;)

Notice he said "It's a bug".
He didn't say it's a driver bug. ;)

The Geforce4 is very similar in architecture to the Geforce3 except for the vertex power and clock speed. Do you really think that its a driver bug? Nvidia had a year to release a card that was hardly different, just faster. Don't you think they would have got all the bugs out?

I really think that they had to make some compromises in the hardware. The Geforce4 has 63 million transistors, and the Geforce3 has 57 million. The Geforce4 has double the per-clock vertex power, an improved memory controller, slightly improved pixel shader capabilities (ps 1.2 and 1.3, I believe, were not properly supported by the Geforce3?), and no performance loss for Quincunx (that useless AA blur filter :) ).

The big thing, however, is the vertex processing improvement. How would NVidia double the power with only 6 million more transistors? Unless the Geforce3 was very transistor-inefficient, they must have cut out some abilities. When the Geforce3 came out, NVidia was fairly proud of their anisotropic filtering. I think they saw how good the Radeon and Radeon 8500 performance was, and how very few sites paid attention to it. If you look at reviews, I'd guess 70% look at AA, but very few look at anisotropic filtering (maybe 10%?). Thus they made a strategical move to strip out some of this hardware, and as far as a marketing move, I think it was a smart one.

However, I think anisotropic filtering has a greater impact on picture quality, so I would not applaud such a move. However this is just a theory.

In short, I don't see how NVidia could make a mistake in their driver if anisotropic filtering was the same as in the Geforce3. I really think it's a hardware problem.

That's actually a really good point, 6 million transistors = a second Vertex Shader, the Accuview engine, plus the LMA II additions? Something's not right here.

Tagrineth said:
That's actually a really good point, 6 million transistors = a second Vertex Shader, the Accuview engine, plus the LMA II additions? Something's not right here.

... and a second RAMDAC, hardware IDCT ...

ram said:
The NV25 core has no iDCT.

Ooops, my mistake.
I remembered reading about DVD playback enhancements... was that nv17m or not even that supports iDCT?

It really shows that I don't have an nv25 based videocard. (And unless they fix this bug I'll never have.)

aths said:
Tagrineth,

they cut out the HOS-Support. May be they optimized some other parts...?

That still leaves a lot of 'stuff' for only 6 million transistors.

AFAIR Kyro -> Kyro II added 3 million solely for adding HW S3TC support.

aths said:
Tagrineth,

they cut out the HOS-Support. May be they optimized some other parts...?

That still leaves a lot of 'stuff' for only 6 million transistors.

AFAIR Kyro -> Kyro II added 3 million solely for adding HW S3TC support.

Hi there.
I have a GF4 Ti 4400 @ 310/621 and I also found something interesting even with the 28.90 drivers:
VillageMark 1.19
without T&L, 1024x768x16, trilinear, TC on: 133 fps
Same thing, but with anisotropic 64 tap: 31 fps!!!
(T&L on gives 124/30)

Now, could it be the GF4 couldn´t perform its bandwidth saving features when aniso is on or that major drop is only due to the lost fill-rate? Is there anyway to check if the card is doing that?

About KyroII I think the official version about those 3 million extra transistors were they were needed in order to run at higher speeds, even on .18u. KyroI already supported S3TC.

Hi there.
I have a GF4 Ti 4400 @ 310/621 and I also found something interesting even with the 28.90 drivers:
VillageMark 1.19
without T&L, 1024x768x16, trilinear, TC on: 133 fps
Same thing, but with anisotropic 64 tap: 31 fps!!!
(T&L on gives 124/30)

Now, could it be the GF4 couldn´t perform its bandwidth saving features when aniso is on or that major drop is only due to the lost fill-rate? Is there anyway to check if the card is doing that?

About KyroII I think the official version about those 3 million extra transistors were they were needed in order to run at higher speeds, even on .18u. KyroI already supported S3TC.

Back