The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it would be better for them to provide adequate s/w support (5800 drivers are quite bad, 5700 still has no official driver support, no support for DXCS on DX10 h/w, no Win7 support for pre-DX10 h/w etc).
Which DX-new graphics hardware had great initial drivers? Do you remember G80 and its initial Vista support? Or early vista drivers for G7x? Or complete lack of Quad-SLI driver support? Yeah, Quad-SLI was 6 moths old high-end solution at that time, not 3 years old grapics card comparable to current $60 low-end. Do you consider current situation that bad?

I don't think so. I think it's another company, whose drivers are burning up motherboards and graphics cards...

HD5700 is 14 days old product, drivers can be downloaded from AMDs web since the launch. What's the problem?

As for DX9 hardware, there are W7 compatible drivers. They only lack WDDM 1.1 specific features. That means, that driver functionality is at the same level, as on Vista. Nothing get worse.

As for DX9 hardware, there are W7 compatible drivers. They only lack WDDM 1.1 specific features. That means, that driver functionality is at the same level, as on Vista. Nothing get worse.

Next time an nvidia fanboy questions AMD's "DX9" Support, Ask when nVidia released the latest drivers for some of it's "DX9" hardware. I think the last official driver for NV3X was the Vista Launch driver and it has no official Win7 support either.

Edit: Oh wow! nice.. after supporting the FX series for Win7 with the first Vista driver (2006) up until last week. they now no longer allow you to run a FX card in Win7.

Which DX-new graphics hardware had great initial drivers? Do you remember G80 and its initial Vista support?
Vividly. It was better than media made it look like.

Or early vista drivers for G7x?
Zero problems. Same NV4x drivers.

Or complete lack of Quad-SLI driver support? Yeah, Quad-SLI was 6 moths old high-end solution at that time, not 3 years old grapics card comparable to current $60 low-end. Do you consider current situation that bad?
Who cares about Quad-SLI? 0,001% of customers?

I don't think so. I think it's another company, whose drivers are burning up motherboards and graphics cards...
You may THINK whatever you like. I'm saying what I see. I've yet to have ANY problems with NV's drivers and i've had loads of problems with AMD's drivers.

HD5700 is 14 days old product, drivers can be downloaded from AMDs web since the launch. What's the problem?
The problem is that there is no final driver only beta. For 14 days, right.

There is no support for DX9 AMD cards in the new drivers since Catalyst 9.9. That means that any bugs that are still there on these cards won't be fixed.

Next time an nvidia fanboy questions AMD's "DX9" Support, Ask when nVidia released the latest drivers for some of it's "DX9" hardware. I think the last official driver for NV3X was the Vista Launch driver and it has no official Win7 support either.

Edit: Oh wow! nice.. after supporting the FX series for Win7 with the first Vista driver (2006) up until last week. they now no longer allow you to run a FX card in Win7.
FX isn't the only DX9 h/w from NVIDIA you know?..

A non-beta (WHQL) driver is in the box.
What's stopping you from publishing it on the web?

WDDM 1.1 requires DX10 hardware, anything prior to that is limited to WDDM 1.0 and hence uses the Vista driver model. Everyone is in the same boat here.
But not everyone decided to stop developing the driver because of this. You're using it as an excuse. Should everyone stop developring Linux drivers because Linux don't have WDDM 1.1 support?

What's stopping you from publishing it on the web?
Nothing, but what is the point? Anyone that buys a new card can install the WHQL from the CD; if you want a newer driver then you have the option of the Beta from the web.

But not everyone decided to stop developing the driver because of this. You're using it as an excuse. Should everyone stop developring Linux drivers because Linux don't have WDDM 1.1 support?
And the drivers have not stopped being developed; they are now updated quarterly.

Nothing, but what is the point? Anyone that buys a new card can install the WHQL from the CD; if you want a newer driver then you have the option of the Beta from the web.
And if your dog has eaten the CD and you don't want to use beta?

And the drivers have not stopped being developed; they are now updated quarterly.
Ah, OK, that's alright then. So the next driver with R580 support will be Catalyst 9.11?

Vividly. It was better than media made it look like.
I don't care media much. As a former moderator of some HW forums I had quite a view of problems, which annoyed users. As for HD5800, the biggest problem are some graphical anomalies in Witcher, some issues with SS and now slow performance in Borderlands. Really horrible problems, when compared to BSODs of early Vista drivers or memory management issues of GTS-320 :rolleyes:

Who cares about Quad-SLI? 0,001% of customers?
Fine. nVidia is good, because their driver team obsoletes $1300 configuration during 6 months. ATi is bad, because their driver team stops developing of new drivers for 3-6 years old hardware, which can be replaced by $35 part (which brings better features set, better performance and lower power-draw, too)

And if your dog has eaten the CD and you don't want to use beta?
:rolleyes:

Get them from the AiB that supplied the board.

Ah, OK, that's alright then. So the next driver with R580 support will be Catalyst 9.11?

http://hardocp.com/news/2009/10/30/amd_clarifies_driver_support_on_dx9_only_hardware_in_win7

WDDM1.1 (Windows Display Driver Model) is the driver architecture required to run Windows7. To meet the Microsoft dictated requirements, GPU’s must be DirectX10 and later level hardware. So as stated on our website, Windows 7 users with DirectX 9 AMD graphics hardware can use the legacy Windows Vista WDDM 1.0 drivers (as it is not possible for DirectX 9 hardware to support the WDDM 1.1 driver requirements). On a separate note the move to "legacy driver" status happen when we moved our DirectX 9 based hardware to a legacy support structure back in March 2009, and we were quite public about this. We’ve been providing updates to this driver on a quarterly basis - in fact we will be posting a new legacy driver in the next few days.

Summary: Windows7 users on DirectX9 can and should use the legacy Catalyst driver which will be updated quarterly.

What if people like Degustator were stopped from complaining about problems he doesn't have? Where do I download drivers for that?

Everybody has the same problem: Nobody can buy it :???:

No, it will be out on black friday, honest. The initial quantities are going to be limited, so you can only buy them in a system. It will come with an Itanium that doesn't suck on an Abit mobo, with a special PhysX and 3D supporting version of Duke Nukem 4eva.

Mod edit: No you can't, stop it with the personal stuff (that's valid for everyone, not only Charlie). You don't like it on your site so don't do it here either

-Charlie

Last edited by a moderator:
O 5800, 5800, Wherefor Art Thou 5800?

interesting read...

http://hardocp.com/article/2009/11/10/o_5800_wherefor_art_thou

"The "good" in all of is that we are sure that 5800 GPU production is scaling and that is going to equate into more 5800 series video cards for us to buy before Christmas. We still just might have to be a bit diligent in our purchasing efforts though."

Then maybe I will get mine (FINALY) in a few weeks ... can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back