The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know if this is the correct place to post this. But has anyone heard anything about the X86 Patent dispute between AMD and Intel? I haven't been able to find anything more recent than when the argument was first launched.

I think somewhere in August they decided to sit down and talk, somewhere after X58 chipsets magically gained Sly support.

Interesting. Got any links on that? I'd rather not see AMD CPUs go away due to any intel licensing stupidity. But its been impossible to follow.

Interesting. Got any links on that? I'd rather not see AMD CPUs go away due to any intel licensing stupidity. But its been impossible to follow.

I have no idea where I read it :(
It was something they both getting some sense.. and then intel sued AMD for it's EU antitrust case they lost.

I think somewhere in August they decided to sit down and talk, somewhere after X58 chipsets magically gained Sly support.

No, the talk subsided, but Intel hasn't budged their position at all. Nvidia does not have any rights to their x86 patents (IE the x86 license), and will not get them. Period. I wrote it all up a while ago on the Inq here:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1017162/nvidia-stexar-move-turns-gun-turrets-on-amd-intel
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1031103/nvidia-balls-circumvent-x86-licences
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1036306/nvidia-announce-x86-chip
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1050874/nvidia-trying-x86-chip

Short story, it is the same, work continues, NV denies it, and Intel is waiting to step on them. When anything new happens, I will write it up. :)

-Charlie

Who said they did? This is about AMD and Intel, Pavlov.

Intel Legal. I did call them and ask several times. That is Mulloy's job, and he does it well.

What I did when I called him is called research and fact checking. What your are doing is called wishful fanboi fantasizing. Please note the difference.

-Charlie

What I did when I called him is called research and fact checking. What your are doing is called wishful fanboi fantasizing. Please note the difference.

-Charlie

Actually, what you did is a) demonstrate your inability to read the discussion and therefore b) butt in with your Nvidia fetish in the wrong topic

Uhm, wow, calm down. You simply misunderstood the conversation's subject and that's basically what Florin was saying. ChrisRay was asking about the AMD vs Intel x86 license deal in this thread, the AMD thread, and neliz was responding to that. It had nothing to do with NV. You seriously need to drop that caffeine :p (metaphorically if you don't take much of it)

So no one answered my question about global foundries and AMD profitability can someone answer it now?

I don't know if this really makes total sense. Trini can't they shuffle profit around to make it look however they want? For example their foundries lost money b/c the foundries were not getting paid enough per chip produced to make money. So if they sell them to a 3rd party that 3rd party will charge them more for manufacturing the chips right?

I see a problem in that AMDs price to get stuff fabbed will potentially go up. Is this incorrect? Were they not using their facilities near to capacity? If they had lots of excess capacity it would make sense I suppose.

AMD's fab utilization was low enough to incur losses. I don't know the fraction that would be.
After the success of K8 where it did become capacity constrained, AMD's managed to bleed market share even as its process nodes and fab expansions progressed.

It doesn't appear it was able to fully utilize its fabs at 65nm with half of Dresden not even participating for quite some time, much less those fabs at finer geometries (and not counting Luther Forest in the future).

The cost per fabbed chip will be higher with GF as a foundry, but the underutilization given AMD's limited demand is also a cost it needed to get out from under as soon as possible.

Ok I figured they had to be quite underutilized, but I remembered hearing that they did not have enough fabs either. I guess it was from ages past when they were selling like hotcakes.

So I guess how much GF increases prices depends kind of on how underutilized they were :) Maybe someone can predict it if that sort of thing is publicized.

What does it mean for AMD? They are already selling everything directly from the manufacturing lines. Greater demand wouldn't help them.

What does it mean for AMD? They are already selling everything directly from the manufacturing lines. Greater demand wouldn't help them.
Well they were the ones making noises about being there with the new h/w for Win7 and their competition having no h/w for Win7 etc
Maybe it would be better for them to provide adequate s/w support (5800 drivers are quite bad, 5700 still has no official driver support, no support for DXCS on DX10 h/w, no Win7 support for pre-DX10 h/w etc) instead of launching before Win7 launch since the latter doesn't seem to do much for h/w sales at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back