Technology: can't live with it, can't kill it. (Bluetooth woes)

Guden Oden

Legend
So I had this terrible idea to buy a BT headset to use for voice chatting while playing WoW with friends. I've tried it briefly before with my previous logitech MX900 mouse and a then-top-of-the-line sony-ericsson headset and it worked just fine.

So I went out yesterday and bought a cheap(ish) Jabra, the one that accepts a triple-A battery for a stated "up to 15 hours of talktime" (which is prolly bogus but nevermind that). I went home, put in battery, paired it up with PC, and attempted to use it. Result?

Big fat nuttin. No sound through either mike or earplug speaker. It connected just fine, my PC just wouldn't send any data to it. Paired with my nokia phone it works fine. Tinny sound quality, but I didn't expect anything else anyway.

Then I make mistake #2 today. I go out, buy ANOTHER headset. S-E's new top-of-the-line unit, not so cheap this time. I figure, with a "real" device, it'll surely work better. NOPE.

After some swearing and threatening and fiddling and re-pairing and screwing around I get the headset to play sound through the speaker, but the mic produced what was almost static sound; everything was extremely distorted due to volume being rediculously loud and nothing seemed to be able to fix it. Then after some more fiddling, something broke in the BT stack, and the headset wouldn't play anything, and in fact could hardly even connect to the PC without generating some kind of error message on my monitor screen. So I abandoned that, thought I'd transfer over some pics to make room in the flashcard instead.

No-go. Suddenly I can't access my phone either across BT. It just wouldn't display the file list, and the software kept forgetting I'd just paired up the phone. Even doing it time and time again did not improve anything.

DAMN, I'm pissed! What IS it with logitech, I always ALWAYS have issues with their software. Except with that old MX900 actually, that BT stack was solid as the friggin rock of gibraltar. Unfortunately I threw that mouse into a wall, and besides, it used the now obsolete BT1.1 standard, so not much help anymore. Oh well, I probably should be thankful my BT mouse is still working as it's supposed to... :-?

BT profile support is hit and miss. For example, getting third party non-Nokia headsets to work with Nokia BT phones, up until recently, was pointless.

Also, Windows BT support kinda sucks. Even though WIDCOMM's stack has massively improved the experienced, I still find it not as smooth as Mac OS X's BT support.

Don't buy Logitech crap!

Christ, now everything's screwed up, and Logitech support is completely useless.

After following their obvious suggestion to reinstall the software (with the twist of doing it in clean boot mode), BT support is now well and thoroughly fucked on my box. First the install program wouldn't reinstall the BT stack, it only installed setpoint. Then I uninstalled setpoint again (with a system restart inbetween each round of course, ¤$*#@!, because we all know mouse button config software can't be installed without doing a system restart :rolleyes:), and REran the installer in normal boot mode. It still wouldn't install the BT stack automatically, so I browsed the CD and tried to do it manually. During installation, it wouldn't recognize the BT dongle anymore. I re-tried inserting it many times in various USB ports, but the stack refused to find the dongle. After proceeding with the install anyway and rebooting, it still wouldn't find the friggin dongle.

Another call to Losertech support and I get to talk to a woman whose only suggestion to me is I update my chipset drivers and then try reinstalling the software again and call them up yet AGAIN if that did not work. Apparantly, the fact the software used to work previously did not clue the woman in to the fact maybe the chipset wasn't a factor here, but oh well... Phone support people are muppets most of the time anyway.

So now I figure I should just throw all this shit in the trash, because that's where it belongs. $150 well spent...NOT.

Try removing any BT-related software and reinstalling SP2. And you might be better off not reinstalling all that crappy BT software again, as you probably don't need it in any case.

Guden Oden said:
After following their obvious suggestion to reinstall the software (with the twist of doing it in clean boot mode), BT support is now well and thoroughly fucked on my box. First the install program wouldn't reinstall the BT stack, it only installed setpoint. Then I uninstalled setpoint again (with a system restart inbetween each round of course, ¤$*#@!, because we all know mouse button config software can't be installed without doing a system restart :rolleyes:), and REran the installer in normal boot mode.
SetPoint isn't just mouse button config software, but also includes the mouse drivers. Yes, you do have to reboot after updating drivers (from the default MS mouse drivers). And I'm not sure you should be blaming Logitech for Bluetooth not working properly. That's an Intel deal.

I never had any troubles with any single Logitech device whatsoever. I rather think your machine is bloated through countless installs of whatever crap comes at you.

Also, the BT headset from Logitech is teh goodness all the way, why didn't you buy that?

Back