Technological discussion on PS3 security and crack.*

Same here. There finally seems to be some good media related CFW stuff coming out so I'm holding 3.55 for now also. Just add region free BR support with 1080i50 support along with burning to HDD and I'll be one happy camper.

The arguments already been had. If you've read all that, and still think hackers just randomly overlooked PS3 whereas they targeted every toher console, and then the moment they targetted PS3 blew it wide open in a matter months, there'll be no convincing you otherwise.

There was one particular colossal implementation error the made everything else accesible, From a security design POV, PS3 would still be as secure as it was if they had used the security algorithm properly. So from a design POV, even if the implementation failed, PS3 is looking like a very strong model. Even moreso if 3.60 was a complete repair.

You just integrate the same security features in other processors.

:rolleyes: PS3's model. Every company who's ever released hardware has seen it cracked. They try different preventative measures, learning from their mistakes, with some measure of success or failure. PS3 shows Sony (along with IBM) evaluated the system and came up with a solution that so far has prevented open software piracy. Or are you going to say that because PS2 and PSP security was weak, no-one should ever look at Sony for a better solution? Wouldn't that mean we'd never look at any hardware vendor ever, because they all release hardware that gets cracked?

You forgot the apparent leak of NDA info on the USB key :)

You forgot the apparent leak of NDA info on the USB key :)
That has become PS3's biggest weakness, and shows another area of hardware security that it's harder to lock down. So a system that can be patched after such leaks is even more impressive.

Are the wrangling of Sony's legal department part of the technology of securing hardware and software? No. Hence that discussion exists in a different forum here.

Same here. There finally seems to be some good media related CFW stuff coming out so I'm holding 3.55 for now also. Just add region free BR support with 1080i50 support along with burning to HDD and I'll be one happy camper.

I am also at 3.55, but not out of choice but just cos I shifted my net connection to my new workplace so, have no net connection to my ps3 these days. I think I'll install CFW just to chk out whats happening out there. I already have all the games I need, but I have started missing the MP fun.

Might as well chk out CFW while I am stuck without net. What I think I'll enjoy the most, though, would be the emulators more than anything else. ;)

v3.60 might not be unhackable after all according to Mathieulh...

@davidkont 3.60 isn't "hardcore security" anyway, it's just sony thinking they are safe hiding everything inside lv0...

@Ps3WeOwnYoU You can't decrypt lv0 without the bootloader keys. Your best bet is to look at 3.56, decrypt loaders, look for exploits, profit

@Ps3WeOwnYoU You need to either decrypt or dump lv0, then you can get the encrypted loaders and decrypt them with the metldr key. Good luck.

Find more tweets about it here...

http://twitter.com/#!/mathieulh

and here's the source...

http://psx-scene.com/forums/f6/mathieulhs-v3-60-ps3-exploit-revealed-84189/

Tommy McClain

v3.60 might not be unhackable after all according to Mathieulh...

In what should be the biggest surprise since the sun rising in the east this morning...

Note sure why people took one statement from one hacker that Sony had completely resecured the system and ran with it. Even from the very little I can follow this thread, that seemed out of the question. Kind of reminds me of everybody claiming there was some internal Sony leak of a USB drive that started all this hacking when there's no evidence I know of of such or any other leak from Sony.

Last edited by a moderator:
In what should be the biggest surprise since the sun rising in the east this morning...

Note sure why people took one statement from one hacker that Sony had completely resecured the system and ran with it. Even from the very little I can follow this thread, that seemed out of the question. Kind of reminds me of everybody claiming there was some internal Sony leak of a USB drive that started all this hacking when there's no evidence I know of of such or any other leak from Sony.

Afaik mathieulh did the reverse engeneering on the origial usb "jig" and made some comments about those that made the original key had access to either data or knowledge that wasn´t supposed to be "known". A clear hint that someone made a leak. Even if it just was a stolen USB key to begin with, it would still be a leak.

He also acknowledged that without Geohot´s original "hack" the Jig what have been hard or impossible to make.

So the USB key was the golden key that opened the door wide open that Geohot just had scratched.

That the PS3 isn't uncrackable isn't a surprise, nor what any sane contributor to this thread expects. That it's resistant enough to not be cracked for a good while yet, after these hackers had reported that PS3 was blown wide open and there was nothing Sony could do about it, is the remarkable feat in Sony's recovery.

Sony told that the OtherOS was woth 100 euro and they should pay it back...

http://www.uusisuomi.fi/kotimaa/111500-riita-26890-€n-pleikkarista-–-sai-100-€-takaisin (need Google Translate)

With the current state of things i don´t understand why Sony just doesn´t force the hackers to show their hand, and simply reinstate OtherOS as an option. There is nothing that is gained from keeping OtherOS away now, at least not in security related questions. But maybe it would require to many resources and be technically a challenge.

OtherOS on PS3 was unusable at best... and that's not just because of the restricted GPU access... 256MB RAM is just... nothing worthwhile.

Hmm....What about Portal 2 not being playable on CFW? Does that mean finally this scene has been plugged? Will the newer games be unplayable then?

and What exactly did Portal 2 do to implement this? Is it just that it requires 3.6FW? or is it something else that has been implemented?

think the group that made all the eboot swapping trick said they need the new 3.60 key or it will never be able to works like FW3.56 games. I really hope if they 3.60 CFW does come out, they won't release they key publicly. You either keep your homebrews or use your system as intended, not both.

Back