Technological discussion on PS3 security and crack.*

Actually,the un-ban is not new:you can unban an xbox360 easily,with the keyvault from a not banned machine :)

There has been a few KV for sale on the ebay,for 40-60$ (the guy simply sent it out by mail)

and how do you do all this when the system is already compromised? If you don't know which consoles are legitimate you are passing out keys to compromised systems.

Check your browser,and you will see that it happened several times in the case of the https too.

If the key compromised then you revoke it,and issuing a new one.

update: seems like someone replace a banned ID to a clean console and the clean console is able to go online still. (unless that person is lying, and also a very old post)

… or the ID is somehow associated with a different region, and that region has not enforced the ban yet ? :p

To make it safer, they will likely patch it so that the ban/unban will authorize with a network/private key next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
cant they take all of them back and flash with 3.56 or that cost much more than price drop?
They can't change the leaked Metldr key with a firmware update, as far as we know at the moment. So all PS3's will be vulnerable to modchips unless they change the design with updated hardware using the new metldr key that can't be figured out since the signing is fixed.

So what's up with this NPDRM?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26103771&postcount=330

Could this potentially allow homebrew on 3.56 machines? Why this isn't released yet?

Aparently someone got more keys, and among them there is keys for PSN stuff... that is what i gathered from the thread you linked and from a thread that described a german dude that got raided by Sony.

But he released everything he knew about the PS3 before Sony could get to him.

However, the Sony tactics is "working", other hackers are going below radar and i guess the only thing we will see from now on is releases from unnamed people that wont have any moral breaks enabled.

My guess is that the PS3 is about to get opened up again in ways we didn´t expect... just don´t break my GT5 guys :)

There's still quite a bit of work going on but it's all being kept hush-hush and remains in the underground realms for fear of Sony's Lawyers.

Well, the one nice thing for consumers is that this may well speed up the price reductions on PS3 hardware, if the rumors of new hardware to combat the insecure root key holds true.

Unfortunately, I suspect with the new hardware, there may be incompatibility problems between old software and new software... if new keys are involved.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26399325&postcount=1

For now, it looks to me (at first glance) that the ps3 has been resecured, but it doesn't mean it can't be broken again from scratch..

Their previous errors were epic fails, it doesn't mean they can't do an epic save either.. they seem to have fixed all the issues they had..

@ChronosWing we already have the metldr key, the thing is that they don't use metldr anymore, at all!

Wow, in 3.60, Sony removed all the loaders, no more isoldr/lv1ldr/lv2ldr/appldr.. but they added lv0.2! Seems they found a way to secure ps3

EDIT: Some are saying it also helps fix a CoD hack.

If this has worked as well as suggested, it places PS3's security back on the pedestal! Just read about iPad2 getting jailbroken already. PS3 by contrast held of hackers for years, then failed only by a completely stupid error which, if so plugged, has returned PS3 to its current hackless state.

There's no getting round it - this security design has worked more or less, and gives an excellent basis for future platforms. Other devices who get cracked have only themselves to blame at this point, because they have a pretty solid reference design as a starting point.

Being allowed to sue all your hackers to death when your competitors are not=great security?
Even hackers know the possible consequences for illegal digital activities. It doesn't stop them. It never has. The federal government founded some of the consequences for it, under the guise of "national security".

In other words, your statement is not a good excuse for the last 4+ years. If the PS3 stays secure for the rest of it's life cycle, it won't be because of hackers' litigation concerns.

This is the technical forum, not the "I want an unrelated rant" forum. The closing of the security holes has sod all to do with the legal side of Sony's piracy battles. Irrespective of whatever happens in law courts, the hardware and software security measures have resisted attack and managed to come back from what seemed a catastrophic and unrecoverable error, which deserves due kudos to Sony's engineers in balance of the severe criticism they rightly deserved for cocking up the keys in the first place.

How did they manage to (what seems like) effectively re-engineer their software security system without breaking compatibility with old games?

I guess Sony's security engineers rightly do deserve praise considering the sheer number of (even "supposedly" well informed) people claiming the PS3's security compromise would never be recovered from.

This is a major win for them as you say Shifty and more than anything i think it goes a way towards ensuring that consoles remain a relatively safe and " relatively priracy-free" platform for developers to sell their games on. It also means that that's one less reason to go to fully direct download in future, as a relatively piracy free console can be distributed in newer markets where piracy has always been seen as rampant ;-)

Back