Technological discussion on PS3 security and crack.*

OtherOS on PS3 was unusable at best... and that's not just because of the restricted GPU access... 256MB RAM is just... nothing worthwhile.

There was and is access to all of ps3's memory in otheros... PS3 architecture just is clunky and the other memory is not quite easy to use and same limitations still apply on hacked consoles.

OtherOS on PS3 was unusable at best... and that's not just because of the restricted GPU access... 256MB RAM is just... nothing worthwhile.

for web browsing sure but you can still do a whole lot. most everything else you might do on a PC such as media playing, editing documents, spreadsheets etc. (why not), running math or programming stuff, chat/mail/IP phone, emulator for any console below the PS2 gen.
or maybe, video chat in the living room, anything.
you can also use it as a thin client for your linux PC with 2G or 4G ram and forget about memory limitations.

I do linux builds with such amounts of memory, you have to use abiword instead of openoffice bloat, on something other that gnome, kde or xubuntu and that's it. firefox 4 and current software for computers made in the windows 98 era.

the console was in effect sold and advertised as a general purpose computer, taking that away is rude.

Last edited by a moderator:
Says 3.55, so not a crack of the latest FW.

I didn't mean to imply it was.

I was just pointing out news from the PS3 homebrew.
The Other OS in this latest homebrew appears to allow more of the system's resources than the original Other OS previously supported by Sony.

yeah with this new CFW, otherOS should be able to access more features like the 256MB+256MB RAM. Because it is said the otheros running with the same access right (is this the right word?) as GameOS

yeah with this new CFW, otherOS should be able to access more features like the 256MB+256MB RAM. Because it is said the otheros running with the same access right (is this the right word?) as GameOS

PS3 linux was and is(in other os) able to access all the ram... it's just that ram is in different pools and situation is similar to trying to run windows on your graphics cards memory, not going to happen. 256MB of main ram accessible to cpu is just very little for linux even if you push all the graphics to the other ram pool.

Not really... with the original OtherOS option, you never were able to allocate more than ~200MB of RAM, because the rest was taken by the hypervisor or whatever...

Not really... with the original OtherOS option, you never were able to allocate more than ~200MB of RAM, because the rest was taken by the hypervisor or whatever...

No, not true. You can access the gpu memory via thing called ps3vram. It allows linux to map and use gpu memory but as it is graphics memory it's usage doesn't help cpu running applications much. Main use for it has been to dump graphics assets there and use gpu memory as really fast swap memory.

check for example
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=10352
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_6.x/ps3vram-as-swap.shtml

There might be possibility to get some 30MB of more main memory + some more gpu memory to use if all the ps3 os stuff is wiped out but it's marginal improvement at best compared to what other os had available.

It's time people to stop spreading bullshit like "otheros had no access to gpu memory and spe's" and if only gpu access was there videocodecs would run faster(news note, there is no video acceleration on ps3 gpu, blu-ray and dvd is all spe optimized code on native side).

So... swap memory is now real memory? Cool, my PC has 1TB of RAM!

Do you not realize that ps3 has 2 physical 256MB memory pools where the other memory is not usable for CPU as for running programs. It's graphics memory which is not directly addressable(afaik). Furthermore gpu memory pool has funky bus making it real slow unless the data is dma transfererred around via gpu making it painful to use that memory from cpu point of view.

Splitted memorypools is the case in games, otheros, linux or whatever due to hw limitations not limitations due to software. It's just the same as running your pc with 256MB of main ram and 256MB on graphics card. Albeit pc would have easier time transferring stuff to gpu memory due to not so funky bus.

Yes, I know how the PS3 was designed... and still, you couldn't use more than 200MB of RAM for your system... the GPU swap was making things a bit better, but running full OS is simply not feasible like this. That was and still is my whole point

Yes, I know how the PS3 was designed... and still, you couldn't use more than 200MB of RAM for your system... the GPU swap was making things a bit better, but running full OS is simply not feasible like this. That was and still is my whole point

But how is it any better now? You could use the whole memory on ps3 linux it just that the 256MB of gpu memory is not very useful... SWAP was just one example to show that it really was possible to use that mem, not that it was the only way to use it under linux.

So... swap memory is now real memory? Cool, my PC has 1TB of RAM!
Memory doesn't really fall into 'RAM' and 'not RAM' types. Anything that's not ROM, whether static RAM, DRAM, GDDR, a magnetic disk, floptical drive, etc., constitutes writeable, random-access storage. An overall system will make available to the CPU an amount of directly addressable storage across available resources. As far as a program is concerned, a well implemented swap file on HDD will appear as transparently addressable storage. So effectively you could have 1TB RAM in a PC. You could have 36 GBs RAM with 4 GBs DDR and 32 GBs embedded flash ram. For the sake of developers, when a type of RAM offers severe bottlenecks, such as HDD's very high latency, it'll not get used in the same way as faster RAM and not be thought of as RAM. For everything else, it just becomes part of the pool of resources, passing data from slower forms of RAM to faster forms (HDD to DDR to L2 cache to L1 cache) to hopefully keep the CPU fed with data to crunch.

Regards PS3, it has a split pool of RAM, the particulars by which it is addressed in Linux I don't know, but it is 512 MBs RAM that just has caveats regards speed and access. Same as GC having 3 pools of RAM chips, 43 MB total, even if 16 MBs of that was extremely slow for most purposes.

@manux
currently in GameOS there a homebrew called showtime. Using FFMPG can play 720p H264 smooth. I have not tried 1080p...

so maybe with this new CFW OtherOS have same privilage as gameOS, linux can run faster. Like using hardware acceleration rather than using software for the linux desktop, video and so on.

Previously on PS3, linux only running in software mode,
then someone do a hack to get RSX access, but then blocked in FW update.
so now with this CFW maybe linux can run again with RSX and running with acceleration using something like glfx, rendering 3D using RSX, or something.

like in Ubuntu when not install ATi GPU driver, it only run in software. Then after driver install, it can run in glfx mode. (sorry if wrong, been long time since last time using linux)

Last edited by a moderator:
@manux
currently in GameOS there a homebrew called showtime. Using FFMPG can play 720p H264 smooth. I have not tried 1080p...

so maybe with this new CFW OtherOS have same privilage as gameOS, linux can run faster. Like using hardware acceleration rather than using software for the linux desktop, video and so on.

Previously on PS3, linux only running in software mode,
then someone do a hack to get RSX access, but then blocked in FW update.
so now with this CFW maybe linux can run again with RSX and running with acceleration using something like glfx, rendering 3D using RSX, or something.

like in Ubuntu when not install ATi GPU driver, it only run in software. Then after driver install, it can run in glfx mode. (sorry if wrong, been long time since last time using linux)

There is no trick. 720p videos worked ok. already in other+linux. It's just multithreaded codec compiled to use both threads available in ppu(no spe/rsx optimizations).

Apparently people didn't really follow what happened in ps3 linux world... Lot's of things started to work after code was compiled with ps3 optimized switches, also lot of things were not possible due to lack of spe optimizations(1080p video, playback of ALL 720p videos(some work. some don't) and so on). Same applies for gpu memory, fast blitting and so on.

With all the other games working on CFW3.55, what trick did Valve pull with Portal2? Why can't other games use the same method.

It is apalling to see Infamous 2 available for download and working on cfw3.55 already at ps3iso !

It's becouse until now (new KZ3 patch) game updates were coded on 3.50 (that's why they were able to make 3.60 games compatible with 3.55 firmware), Portal is using Steamworks to update so hackers can't modify boot files.

Back