Technological discussion on PS3 security and crack.*

He never showed the GOW3 disc icon after inserting the disc, instead went straight to the backup loader & then the PS3 was reset & he pointed towards the infamous disc icon.

:D All Smiles. I can't believe its finally here. Lets hope everyone/devs/endusers will make the best of it, and not kill the game industry. Rumor has it that people who own the slim version will be able to get linux back. Speaking in terms of homebrew.... wondering what toolchain will be used. Not sure if their is one yet for the homebrew community.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems kosher to me. Yeah, he could show gameplay etc., but that company will lose all cred and then business if they are intending to sell a busted system that plain doesn't do what people would expect it to. The interesting point was the backup utility in the game section. I was wondering how they wrote an app that could run there, but then we have reports that this is a leaked Sony SDK tool. At which point, it's an illegal item for copyright reasons as nightshade links, which was the issue Apple couldn't enforce on the legalisation of phone jailbreaking.

What seems odd is before he launches the backup manger app and loads infamous, there two entries in xmb underneath the game disc icon:

*/app_home/PS3_GAME/

and

Install Package Files

When he gets back to XMB, both entries are gone.

Also, I notice when he enters the backup manager app, the 1080p display on the top left corner pops up... On sony TVs that pops up whenever there is a resolution change on the input. Seems weird how the 1080p display pops when he enters the backup manager and when he leaves it.

Last edited by a moderator:
He never showed the GOW3 disc icon after inserting the disc, instead went straight to the backup loader & then the PS3 was reset & he pointed towards the infamous disc icon.

You can see GOW3 text and a default "disc" icon on 1min 4sec mark. Gow3 icon apprears only if you hover on it for ~1sec.

Seems kosher to me. Yeah, he could show gameplay etc., but that company will lose all cred and then business if they are intending to sell a busted system that plain doesn't do what people would expect it to. The interesting point was the backup utility in the game section. I was wondering how they wrote an app that could run there, but then we have reports that this is a leaked Sony SDK tool. At which point, it's an illegal item for copyright reasons as nightshade links, which was the issue Apple couldn't enforce on the legalisation of phone jailbreaking.

There is one part I don't understand. Even with the SDK you need Sony to sign your SELF file for it to run on retail boxes. Else we would have seen homebrew by the time the SDK leaked. So, how did these guys get their program signed?

And what's that story about needing their USB dongle anyway.

I'm still calling BS on this.

Well according to that tweet from who-knows-who, the dongle turns a PS3 into a debug kit, which would explain a lot.

It currently looks like the dongle manages to switch a PS3 into debig mode used for software development. If the debug tool that enables HDD backups is in the firmware, that's probably a legal application of the hardware parallel to the iPhone jailbreak case - enabling features of your hardware isn't a crime (in the US, according to that ruling). If the dongle includes Sony files from the SDK, then the dongle is copyright infringement and illegal.

Anyone who can talk know the difference between a PS3 debug unit and a PS3? Just a bunch of files on the HDD? Also won't this jailbreak need to be circumventing security checks for where the executables are being run from? I'd have thought SDK stuff would reside on the HDD and only be runable from there, giving Sony a way to manage distribution.

Debug units have entirely seperate firmwares i believe so im not sure how a USB dongle will be changing a retail unit into debug without swapping out the firmware.

Anyone who can talk know the difference between a PS3 debug unit and a PS3? Just a bunch of files on the HDD? Also won't this jailbreak need to be circumventing security checks for where the executables are being run from? I'd have thought SDK stuff would reside on the HDD and only be runable from there, giving Sony a way to manage distribution.

I know there have been many models of PS3 debug units, but I think all of them have an extra ethernet port, what other hw differences there may be I don´t know.

It seems like the rumour is getting tonns of interest on the internet, when googling for a particular site I´ve seen containing pictures of debug units, I encountered PS3 sites that were down due to heavy traffic. :eek:

From another thread

I know how it works, which is amazingly clever. But Someone has effectively sold Sony down the river.

There will be implications for developers. They will be asked to re-register and the keys will be changed. There will be a patch that modifies the PS3's boot sequence. No functionality should be lost, but it will be an ongoing battle.

Sony will also include code on retail discs that requires the new FW for them to run. They'll easilly have that sorted by the time GT5 releases.

So, it has really been hacked then?

So this is not really hacking, but outright criminal theft? They made hacking it so difficult that stealing from Sony was the only option? Or maybe this is a deliberate attempt from Sony to discover where the leaks are.

Theft by whoever took the code/key and distributed it. Selling the device would possibly be tantamount to passing on stolen goods. If that's what's happened, I'm sure Sony can get this legally blocked, at least in some countries. I wonder if there's any way to trace it? I wonder who would ahve leaked this? Another dev team that went under and the employees thought they could make something back?!

Back