Technological discussion on PS3 security and crack.*

We know because the slim didn't support Linux. Sony is highly proprietary and most of the times just for the sake of it, supporting Linux was Kutaragi idea, we wouldn't get the PS2 Linux kit if Kutaragi was ousted then. Remember Sony rejected Microsoft Win CE OS on their Playstation platform which paved the way for Xbox. OtherOS was very much un-Sony from the beginning and like Kutaragi it is now axed.

We know because the slim didn't support Linux. Sony is highly proprietary and most of the times just for the sake of it, supporting Linux was Kutaragi idea, we wouldn't get

No. Sony not supporting OtherOS on the slim saved them money and allowed them make changes in the hardware. That does not mean that Linux support on the fat had to go away. Geohot and the rest of the clowns surrounding him caused that, plain and simple.

The PS3 is the most open and standards-based console of this generation.

the PS2 Linux kit if Kutaragi was ousted then. Remember Sony rejected Microsoft Win CE OS on their Playstation platform which paved the way for Xbox. OtherOS was very much un-Sony from the beginning and like Kutaragi it is now axed.

Yes, because WindowsCE worked so well for the Dreamcast. Are you serious?

Sooner or later it's gonna be hacked since it's console with a fixed system, and technology never stands still. The only question is will it be hacked completely before or after the PS3 loses it's relevancy?

Unless someone finds a silver bullet, aka a real flaw, not a flaw like the one that was expected from the security design, but a "real flaw" then there is no way.. And you almost answer the question yourself, when the PS3 isn´t relevant anymore, the cracking teams will be working on something else...

Seems pretty suspicious every hardware is hacked except the PS3. Including Sony's handhelds, which by the way the PSP was widely disliked compared to the DS back in the day, which is probably why it was cracked. And we're told it's a virtual axiom that all hardware/DRM will be cracked.

I'm pretty sure hackers dont try to crack the PS3. I'm guessing if the PS3 had a big target called "Microsoft" stamped on the side, it would have been cracked about 4 years ago.

According to Nintendo and Sony, their handheld platforms were heavily hacked and pirated.

As for PS3, there are significant interest in hacking it. It's unusually hard though, thanks to IBM and Cell.

EDIT: The other direction is interesting too. Using PS3 to hack other systems. Security researchers have had great successes in a few well publicized security projects.

Seems pretty suspicious every hardware is hacked except the PS3. Including Sony's handhelds, which by the way the PSP was widely disliked compared to the DS back in the day, which is probably why it was cracked. And we're told it's a virtual axiom that all hardware/DRM will be cracked.

I'm pretty sure hackers dont try to crack the PS3. I'm guessing if the PS3 had a big target called "Microsoft" stamped on the side, it would have been cracked about 4 years ago.

They are trying to hack the PS3 to play backups, geohot got close and good riddance for his fail, its hard enough that devs complain of piracy, rentals and the gamestop resale market affecting sales with consumer behaviour being that they will buy, finish, exchange unless its a online shooter like halo, cod.

Well... we'll never know what's happening behind the scene. May be Geohotz got hired (Think $$$$$$$$$$) and has to stay clean, or focus on another project. Just leave him alone.

I moan my PS3 Linux loss.

You can thank GeoNotSoHot to thank for that.
Indifferent2.gif

They are trying to hack the PS3 to play backups, geohot got close and good riddance for his fail, its hard enough that devs complain of piracy, rentals and the gamestop resale market affecting sales with consumer behaviour being that they will buy, finish, exchange unless its a online shooter like halo, cod.

I hate to say this but most of these people don't play "backups", like people "back up their games and put the original in their treasure boxes then play the burnt copies", they play pirated copies of games, it's not easy to resist the temption of being able to play a game you don't have to pay for and once you can get something for free, it's unlikely that one will actually buy every game one plays.

You can thank GeoNotSoHot to thank for that.
Indifferent2.gif

It was Sony who removed the feature... and fat PS3's are becoming less and less important each day. Geohot was a convinient excuse to drop costs.

I hate to say this but most of these people don't play "backups", like people "back up their games and put the original in their treasure boxes then play the burnt copies", they play pirated copies of games.

He knows that... back up is a synonyme for pirated games, no one backs up their games.

He knows that... back up is a synonyme for pirated games, no one backs up their games.

maybe many but not everyone do that :D

there gamer out there that buy original game, copy the game, put the original game safely on a safe place.
on some country, original game is very expensive because the very low income. And the game store wont give refund etc etc.

btw
with geohotz quiting, at least he maybe can release the ps3 CFW with otherOS intact as a departure present :p
Please :D

The discussion about 'backups' is as old as games, just about. Back then with floppies it was quite relevant, because floppies could die much more easily, but CD-ROMs too can die from scratching or damage to the paint. However, back then (when it was still relevant for me), if your game disc died, you could simply send the broken version to your publisher and he'd send you a new copy. I don't know if that still works though, but it seems fair.

The discussion about 'backups' is as old as games, just about. Back then with floppies it was quite relevant, because floppies could die much more easily, but CD-ROMs too can die from scratching or damage to the paint. However, back then (when it was still relevant for me), if your game disc died, you could simply send the broken version to your publisher and he'd send you a new copy. I don't know if that still works though, but it seems fair.

I never understood why the game publishers doesn´t have a no bullshit policy.

"Ship us your scratched broken disc and we ship you a new one", takes away the backup argument and makes the discussion look even thinner on the pirates, ehmm freedom fighters part. And the cost should be pretty low. All it takes is Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft to agree on zero license fees on these "backups".

I think the PS3 is the first console with so much effort being put into the protection. The idea that you create a protection that steps in when the console has been cracked, is pretty cool :)

Or the console is just well protected? :rolleyes:

So if hackers are partial to Sony, why hack the PSP?

Simple answer: The PS3 hasn't been cracked because apparently, it's really, really, hard.

I never understood why the game publishers doesn´t have a no bullshit policy.

"Ship us your scratched broken disc and we ship you a new one", takes away the backup argument and makes the discussion look even thinner on the pirates, ehmm freedom fighters part. And the cost should be pretty low. All it takes is Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft to agree on zero license fees on these "backups".

Microsoft has a similar policy on 1st party games. I've used it twice on the same copy of Halo 3(first one was free because of the CE case fiasco)...

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/...ames/discreplacement/DiscReplacementPlan.aspx

Tommy McClain

I think the PS3 is the first console with so much effort being put into the protection. The idea that you create a protection that steps in when the console has been cracked, is pretty cool :)

It's not uncommon to have specific measures to take care of intrusion.

Intrusion detection is one way to deal with hacking. However, for various reasons, it is extremely difficult to prevent hacking completely.

So many security experts build their systems assuming that they have been hacked first. Then build it outwards to include detection and prevention. The "special sauce" here is that PS3 has CPU-level protection under this scenario (SPU has LocalStore to keep its independent security run-time). I wonder if the SPU security kernel can stop other SPUs without any external dependency (i.e. invisible to hackers), the intruder doesn't seem to have a way to intercept the lock down.

The discussion about 'backups' is as old as games, just about. Back then with floppies it was quite relevant, because floppies could die much more easily,

I had a little chuckle to myself then, how about tapes!? I remember as a school kid buying games and 'sharing' with mates (taking turns) - I also remember Exploding Fist (C64) being very helpful to pirates with it's almost "impossible fail to load" system. Hell, my parents bought me a C64 (over a speccy) because some kid in the shop promised me a load of games on a tape!!

When do we start taking about music which pre-dates games completely!? :D

Oh I know all about tapes ... I had an Atari 800 (XL I think) together with my sister when I was a young teenager, and I learnt programming basic on it. I wrote a vocabulary training program to help me with my homework, and it grew and grew as I added lecture data, until eventually I could run it, save it, but when I reloaded it it ran out of memory. Of course I didn't have a backup of that, it already took 5-10 minutes to load or save each time. :LOL:

Imagine how happy I was when I got my first Atari 520 ST, with a single sided 3,5" floppy drive! (I skipped the 5 1/4" floppy for the Atari 800). That thing was almost like a PC, by the way - first I got an external double sided 3.5" drive, and then I added 0.5MB of RAM, and the fun part was that for each upgrade, Gauntlett II (which I bought in the store and soldered two additional joysticks for on the serial port for four player support) would offer some extra stuff. I believe the double sided drive suddenly gave me sampled music during startup of the game (that pretty awesome classical organ theme), and then the extra RAM gave me loads more digital samples during gameplay (like roaring dragons).

I bought quite a few original games back then (I was one of those guys that did actually buy games they liked even when they came across a pirated version first), but I could really get everything cracked back then as well. Useful, because this was also the first time that virusses got pretty big (on Atari ST, Amiga as well as PC)

maybe many but not everyone do that :D

there gamer out there that buy original game, copy the game, put the original game safely on a safe place.
on some country, original game is very expensive because the very low income. And the game store wont give refund etc etc.

btw
with geohotz quiting, at least he maybe can release the ps3 CFW with otherOS intact as a departure present :p
Please :D

In cases where original games are very expensive, people have imported or resorted to piracy (often using the very fact that original games are expensive and importing is a hassle/expensive), rather than "buy the game, copy it, play the copy and store the original in a treasure box", the originals might just get stolen anyway.

If geohotz is quitting because he has failed to crack the PS3, it's unlikely he will "release PS3 CFW with otherOS intact", all he has done is cause the removal of the otherOS feature. In a way I'm glad he's failed and decided to quit, the whole CFW created a piracy nightmare on the PSP, even if I know people who use CFW who decided to pirate instead of supporting good games because having to restore CFW would be a hassle, it would be best that CFW never happens on the PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back