Laptop with broken panel, need help getting picture to external display

Kaotik

Drunk Member
Legend
Supporter
I got for free a fine laptop (HP Pavilion Dv7-4007eo) from helping a relative setting up his new machine (not the first machine I've set up for him) - the only problem with the laptop is that the panel is smashed so I can't see anything that's going on the screen.

I've tried plugging even both, HDMI (via HDMI>HDMI cable and DVI>HDMI adapter on the monitor (AFAIK they work to both directions)) and VGA, and only one at a time too, with no luck - the external display stays blank saying there's no signal.
I've tried switching between the integrated HD42xx and HD5650 via plugging/unplugging the power cord, no change - there's no picture on the external display.

I know it has been shut down at completely random intervals so I'm not sure what kinda boot options it's even giving, so I'm not sure how to get to Win7 blind at the moment - the Fn-keys don't work before it has booted into windows so can't try pressing them either.

Any ideas on how to get it to boot to windows and/or force output on vga and/or HDMI on boot?

I've tried looking for those, but haven't found any refurbished ones, cheapest I've found online so far is £65, but that's only if my model has the display connectors on the left side of the panel which I don't know before I disassemble it (yes, dv7's can have it on either side apparently) - if they're on the right side the price jumps to ~£80 (uk ebay is the cheapest I've seen 'em)

Do you know how the panel was smashed? How confident are you in the integrity of the rest of the laptop?

Edit: Also, I'm thinking it's

Safe mode
Safe mode w/networking
Boot Windows normally

From there, maybe hold function key, and bang on the blue monitor function key. If it requires GUI manipulation, then may the force be with you. Maybe you could call HP and see if they have some kind of diagnostic mode for this. I expect they do, but whether the people answering the phones know what it is, I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently hit by fist or something held in hand, teenage kid of his did it. The laptop wasn't dropped or anything.

Can you use the built-in speakers--Win7 has a pretty obnoxious login noise that takes a little work to get rid of. Also IIRC even if you boot into safe mode once, doesn't windows assume you worked it out and just do a normal boot mode (sans menu) after that?

Edit: So if this is accurate you could hit f8 during post and then hit down...let's see...I count 11 times.

Last edited by a moderator:
The worst case scenario though is that it has multiple displays set up in the driver so someone previously told it in driver not to output on HDMI or something like that, but it still should show up outside of windows which you said it wasn't. That is the most worrying thing.

I tried few times but couldn't seem to get to windows yet. I've few times gotten it somewhere, though, where ctrl+alt+delete doesn't work to reboot the machine which would suggest windows, but haven't heard the log-in chime (the login might be password protected), and Fn+F4 didn't work at that point

the screen to mboard connection is it universal ?
if so if you have another laptop you could jerry rig it to use another screen just long enough to get into windows and set it to use an external monitor

the screen to mboard connection is it universal ?
if so if you have another laptop you could jerry rig it to use another screen just long enough to get into windows and set it to use an external monitor

A friend of mine who has been working with laptop repairs etc said that in theory they're universal - but sadly theory doesn't always meet with practice.

Does anyone know of a portable linux distro that he could run from optical or flash that would enable display output from a port?

Does anyone know of a portable linux distro that he could run from optical or flash that would enable display output from a port?

yes, trying any linux live CD or distro from usb stick would be nice.
even a text mode one, I'm thinking of PLD rescue CD which is great for all kinds of troubleshooting and small tasks.

even if blind you may do some quick and dirty things : launch a sshd (openssh server) then connect to it from another machine (you might check DHCP logs to know the IP so as to reach it).
then you can hack already on that poor laptop.

or you can install a distro on usb stick, try a good desktop lightweight live CD/USB (linux mint lxde or lubuntu). you may even plug the laptop hard drive on another computer and install a linux distro on it.

you should be able to use the desktop remotely, by pointing an X server running on another computer to the laptop's IP or network name. (if you don't run linux there are putty and xming on windows for the ssh and X duties). or use a vnc server on the laptop.

you should then be able to configure the laptop's video output, and optionally lock it out.
or cloning might be enabled on the laptop's VGA from the beginning.

that is the worst case. in the worst case, your laptop is fully functional, but you have done all these little housekeeping works, some manual.

the Davros's suggestion is pretty much the same :).
a VNC server on this XP USB can be useful

I called HP today, they're trying to figure out wether they can approve the machine for warranty repairs ignoring the smashed panel.

They also confirmed that with this model, too, the D-Sub should automaticly output image if you plug a display to it.

usually all laptop if
0. power OFF
1. plugged DSUB to a external display
2. power on the external display
3. power on the laptop.

normally, the boot screen or brand logo will appear on the external display. (if not appear then the im afraid broken part is more than just the laptop panel...)
and after that if the driver is in default settings, windows will go to "Clone Mode" in default.

Back