AMD driver not passing HDMI audio

Hi all,

I was hoping somebody has a solution for the problem I'm having. I have a R9 290 and I often switch between my tv and monitor for playing games. Obviously when switching to my tv I want my receiver to be used for sound.

Under windows sound settings I set up my tv as the default device. This all works perfectly with an Nvidia card but since I switched the AMD it doesn't work after using my pc to play sound.

So after doing anything on my pc that requires sound playback I need to reboot my pc if I want audio playback thru my received when switching to my tv.

In sound menu shows that it's not switching to the tv. Also when entering the control panel (after switching to my tv as the display monitor) the sound menu is broken and won't appear.

Looking at the AMD driver it only shows speakers, and two realtek outputs, my receiver is greyed out and I can't set it as default.

Yeah the driver has caused me quite a few headaches.
Currently I think it's making it harder to change output device(usually takes a few minutes to bring up playback device list).

Though I haven't had your specific issue, so I am unable to help you.
Sorry.

Basically the card is losing handshake information and not recovering it unless it restarts. You might have all issues resolved for this with a HDMI detective. They're expensive but they basically solve any HDMI audio/video/HDCP problems as they trick the PC into thinking the AVR and TV are always on.

I bought a 400 dollar gpu. I shouldn't have to spend money just so to make it work like it should have done in the first place.

I'm pretty sure this is caused by the driver and not the hardware.

right click the speaker icon on bottom right corner, near digital clock. click "playback devices". Hopefully you can see HDMI audio or your TV there and you can right click, "set as default".

if its shown on playback device and can be set "as default" its fine. because when you change the display output, its automaticallyd isabled again.

I set my system to clone the display, and when I want to use the TV I just change my receiver to the pc Hdmi input and then change the default audio device to Hdmi output. This works great for me on my hd 7950. I'm able to output dts master audio from bluray just fine.

Okay guys thanks for the replies but maybe I wasn't clear.

The problem is not that I cannot output audio, the problem is that I have to reboot to be able to output audio over HDMI AFTER using audio thru my pc speakers.

Obviously I have my receiver set as the default audio device but somehow this breaks after using my pc speakers and then switching to my receiver/tv. I cannot even open the control panel sound panel after switching to my receiver (when first having played audio on my pc).

In short, if I play a video, game or whatever on my pc using the pc speakers (thus using my mainboards onboard soundcard) and want to switch to my receiver it doesn't work.

If I reboot and switch to my receiver without having done anything that requires sound on my pc before it works.

This all worked perfectly well with my Nvidia card.

If you start a piece of software that lets you set the audio device independently of the control panel (most media players I would think, such as winamp and so on), a game with sound output settings and so on...what happens then?

Also, when windows boots/user logs in it usually play a few useless sound clips. This is apparantly not enough to trigger the control panel fail then, or have you disabled these sounds...?

Reinstall video driver and see what happens - if anything? Install older version?

Heh, reinstall windows? :p This COULD be a "windows rot" related symptom, you know...

If you start a piece of software that lets you set the audio device independently of the control panel (most media players I would think, such as winamp and so on), a game with sound output settings and so on...what happens then?

Also, when windows boots/user logs in it usually play a few useless sound clips. This is apparantly not enough to trigger the control panel fail then, or have you disabled these sounds...?

Reinstall video driver and see what happens - if anything? Install older version?

Heh, reinstall windows? :p This COULD be a "windows rot" related symptom, you know...

That doesn't work as the device playback thingy seems to crash so the only device windows sees is the onboard audio device. For some reason this only happens after starting VLC or a youtube or something similar, default windows sounds don't trigger this problem.

Anyway I found a solution. Disabling the AMD external events utility seems to have fixed the problem.

Back