Starhawk (new rumors)

I've had a couple of less interesting games since the update. Dust is huge and it's easy to get lost. I also find the building consumption is impossible to manage. I just played a game of TDM where our team had pushed them right back and had an outpost on their doorstep, but no buildings left to do anything constructive there. So I hung back and removed 4 cycle launchers and a couple of sniper towers and three beam towers - essential work, but for which I get absolutely nothing.

16 vs 16 means two buildings each. Good luck executing a combat strategy with that!

You need to double-back to the home base on a Warhawk or speed bike, remove some extra buildings, and go back to build your forward base.

You need to double-back to the home base on a Warhawk or speed bike, remove some extra buildings, and go back to build your forward base.
Except as you remove buildings, other people place them. And while you're sat back at ghome base trying to get rid of redundant buildings, you're not getting XP. There are no rewards for the essential job of housekeeping.

Except as you remove buildings, other people place them. And while you're sat back at ghome base trying to get rid of redundant buildings, you're not getting XP. There are no rewards for the essential job of housekeeping.

That's true. But when you are back at the forward base, you can dismantle extra buildings and build your own too. Some players tend to focus on attacking. They will build redundant building at the exact spot where they respawn to launch a vehicle right away.

They are counting on comrades to clean up redundant buildings. I do so coz an unplanned building may obscure my turrets' line of sight. The moment you dismantle their buildings, they can reuse the points for other purposes in the frontline.

How does that help with you having and executing a strategy though? In a 32 player game, the rate at which buildings get consumed is extremely fast. You can't clean up and build reliably. You can't nip back, get rid of someone else's building, and then get forwards to build your own turret or vehicle spawn because someone has nicked the building. As you say, building for a vehicle is very common practice, essentially a dispoable building that someone needs to dispose of.

There needs to be a punishment for building litter-louts. ;)

It depends on your team composition. Hard to say. There are rounds where my defense was not up yet but we won already. I look at the Starhawk map quite often. It helps me see what the enemies are up to. If I saw that my folks were trying to set up a forward base, I might change my plan to work with them.

I am not sure if penalizing people for littering will amount to any positive outcome. They may get frustrated, and the assessment may be subjective. Those who misuse the tools will likely lose the battle anyway. But nimble use of resources is not exactly bad.

I need to play more to understand the dynamics better.

It depends on your team composition. Hard to say. There are rounds where my defense was not up yet but we won already. I look at the Starhawk map quite often. It helps me see what the enemies are up to. If I saw that my folks were trying to set up a forward base, I might change my plan to work with them.
Me too, but it doesn't really matter with 16 teammates. I see there's a forward base, say, and decide to contribute. Never mind - five people have respawned and made bike dispensers and sped off. All my plans come to nothing. I have to hang back and remove their buildings before I can engage the enemy (at which point someone else builds some other crap).

I found I had far more buildings at my disposal in the 8 v 8 maps, and I could set up useful bases and the like. It was always satisfying to set down a good spawnpoint and have the team use it to win. 16 v 16 is just too tight on resources. I dare say Starhawk might be best with 5 v 5 matches.

I am not sure if penalizing people for littering will amount to any positive outcome. They may get frustrated, and the assessment may be subjective.
Was kidding. ;)
Those who misuse the tools will likely lose the battle anyway.
Which is something over which you as a team member ahve no say or sway. But then that's multiplayer! ;)

Is there any word on creating parties? I asked on the forum and got no reply. I couldn't find a way to group up and ensure your team were all on the same side, which is necessary for good coop online gaming. Even if clan players are all grouped together, you don't want everyone you'd play alongside having to join the same clan.

I haven't heard anything regarding party system in Starhawk. I remember seeing a clan management system though.

It was promised earlier on, and seems pretty essential. Otherwise it'll be like Warhawk - see your friends online, try to join their game, and if you're lucky you'll join only to be on the opposition. That plain stinks.

+ Dylan Jobe on May 19th, 2011 at 10:08 am said:
Starhawk’s party system allows you and your friends to hop from game to game together. You can even add people to your party as you go if you meet someone you want to roll with along the way. We didn’t have that in Warhawk and that was a bummer. But we have it now!!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/17/building-and-battling-dylan-jobe-discusses-starhawk/

He's right it was a bummer. Where is it now then? They really need to be testing that before release, because party systems are prone to being buggy in my experience.

I really like this split-screen layout. Apart from the Lego games it's one of the nicest I've seen. Any other games that do this?

Back