Starhawk (new rumors)

Only a handful are stars but they are annoying :devilish: There is always 1-2 enemy pilots in every game.

They fixed the turret targeting for SH, so they have become quite good at demolishing defense. The top scorers in my last few rounds are Starhawk pilots. They can dominate the game rather easily, good for distracting the enemies from the flag carrier.

You could do what I did, which is start your own game. You can't password lock people out, but they are less willing to join a game of only one person. If you played WH then it's very similar in controls, and you just have to get used to the construction aspect. The only issue with starting your own game and being just one or two people in it is that the spawn points don't produce blue juice for you to harvest, so you have to find barrels to shoot. But there are plenty around and they respawn quickly.

I'd recommend that even if someone's around to show you the ropes. Just make sure to create a game with All Chat enabled so you can talk together even when on opposite teams. ;)

The beta is alot of fun!
I'm probably good for the next couple of weeks with demos alone (twisted metal, binary domain, syndicate)

1.2.6 update:
http://www.LightBoxInteractive.com/...012/1/30/starhawk-public-beta-update-126.html

Today's 1.2.6 update for the Starhawk Public BETA was deployed during the regularly scheduled server maintenance today, January 31 at 2pm Central time and included the following changes:

Slightly increased JetPack fuel capacity.
Greatly reduced JetPack recharge delay.
Removed Hawk MG targeting assist vs. turrets.
Reduced range for melee attack.
Adjusted client/server settings to reduce connection errors.
Added pre-built Bunker, Garage and Launch-Pad in starting bases.
JetPack Adjustments:
The 1.2.3 Update we released included a number of changes to the Vulture JetPack that was intended to 'nerf' it against ground troops. While these changes were largely a stop-gap measure until we can roll-up some updated aiming/targeting changes in a future update, we have been following the data and player community and we felt we went a bit too far. So today's 1.2.6 Update includes an increased max fuel capacity. Previously it was 5 seconds of sustained thrust and now it's 6 seconds. We also greatly reduced the fuel recharge time. Previously it was 6 seconds and now it is 3 seconds.

We're hopeful these changes will help to further bring the Vulture JetPack unit into balance with the rest of the game but rest assure we will continue to make changes if we need to!

Hawk MG Targeting:
In the recent update we enabled targeting assist on the Hawk MG vs. ground turrets and air-mines however that change made strafing ground troops and precise ground targeting more difficult. Today's 1.2.6 Update removes the Hawk MG assist vs ground turrets but *KEEPS* the assist on Air-Mines.

Shorter Melee Range:
The melee attack we currently have in the Starhawk BETA is something that we're not happy with and we have a new melee that we are going to be releasing for the BETA in a future update. Until we do so, we felt that we still needed to make a change in the short-term to stem the currently very, very OP (over-powered) melee implementation. Today's update greatly reduces the "snap" range on the melee attack. This is the distance at which a player can press R3 and dash towards the target player to strike a killing blow. Previously it was 12' and now it is 6'.

This change should make a significant impact on the kill-graphs that our team here at LightBox Interactive review on a daily basis. As a fun bit of trivia, our Starhawk BETA players scored over 115K melee kills last weekend -- that number is just out of whack when compared to the other weapons. We'll continue to make short-term changes to help balance the current implementation until we release the re-vamped melee attack

Adjusted Client/Server Settings:
We've been in contact with some of our players that were experiencing a number of "[*] Connection Error" pop-ups when they were playing Starhawk. We've made a change that should reduce this and we're interested in hearing from our BETA players if the game connection is more stable.

Pre-Built Structures:
We have placed small pre-built bases on the planet of Scourge (acid sea) and the Orbital Space Platform. The starting bases for both the Rifter and Outcast include a Supply Bunker, Launch Pad and Garage. This change was made to help jump-start the combat in the early-phase of the game and allows players to get good weapons and vehicles sooner while still providing the players with some interesting tactical decisions: "Should you rush the enemy with the units you have in an initial blitz?" or "Should you save your Rift Energy afford the more expensive/advanced units?"

I don't like pre-built structures because I want to create my own base. :devilish:
But whatever...

I tried about 4 minutes the other day, think I need some handholding, anybody?

They released a guide here:
http://www.LightBoxInteractive.com/3jszd40hw94gci23785ndhowfppqy7

You could do what I did, which is start your own game. You can't password lock people out, but they are less willing to join a game of only one person. If you played WH then it's very similar in controls, and you just have to get used to the construction aspect. The only issue with starting your own game and being just one or two people in it is that the spawn points don't produce blue juice for you to harvest, so you have to find barrels to shoot. But there are plenty around and they respawn quickly.

I'd recommend that even if someone's around to show you the ropes. Just make sure to create a game with All Chat enabled so you can talk together even when on opposite teams. ;)

Since I'm a Tower Defense junky, I turn every opportunity into a building game. ^_^
Like building my own buildings in the enemy's base.

StarHawk enters open beta with large 32 player map, new skills and weapons...
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/02/21/starhawk-beta-open-to-all-psn-users-today-get-top-tips/

The next update (v1.3) should add new functionality. The beta is open to all since Tuesday...

We’re happy to announce (remind) everyone that the Starhawk Multiplayer Beta is open to ALL COMERS today, Tuesday, February 21st only on the PlayStation Network!

In the coming weeks we’ll be upgrading the Beta a ton. You can expect a new map, new vehicles, new weapons, 32-player max matches and more. Remember, this is still a beta, not a demo. We are actively finding and fixing problems — and we need your feedback!

I tried this again yesterday and it was much improved and pretty enjoyable all round. The rifle is now effective. Best tactic seems to be to stop moving, zoom in, and fire controlled bursts. It's enough to take someone down. The addition of the three starting buildings also seems to have changed the whole feel. There's a lot more immedaite action, and less stalemating. From the moment you arrive on scene you can grab a Hawk, fly into their base, and make a run on the flag, say. Jetpacks seem well balanced too and don't dominate. The laster towers are extremely good against autoguns, but not as devestating against buildings as they used to be. Overall the balancing seems extremely good. There's a lot of variety now.

I do love the strategic element of this shooter. It's always especially satisfying when I execute a tactic and see others joining in. eg. I noticed one round in the Acid Sea that the road access to the left-side of their base is largely ignored, so I snuck in there and built a shield and spawn-point right on their doorstep. My team starting flooding in and we completely flattened their base.

The earlier beta had me pegged as an unsure. What I played yesterday had me wanting to buy. The addition of the single player to practice and enjoy base building without teammates messing it up for you is added value. Although I am still unsure of how the Hawks will end up, depending on how the weapon upgrades for them work. If they get really powerful gear then Starhawk will become as bird-dominated as Warhawk.

WOW ! I am so missing my ps3 .......T_T ....sniff .......

You better come back and help me play this.

All I want to do in this game is to build and watch, like a tower defense game. I build in my base, I go to enemy's base and build there too. ;-) Need someone to cover my *ss.

You better come back and help me play this.

All I want to do in this game is to build and watch, like a tower defense game. I build in my base, I go to enemy's base and build there too. ;-) Need someone to cover my *ss.

Will be back one day ! Too busy with work anyways.
Here's STARHAWK in co-op mode. its got 4 player co-op now :D !

Yeah, I am still playing the same 2 mini-maps in the closed beta. The games are still full. ^_^
Haven't downloaded the open beta yet. I don't even know if it's the same app.

Time to join the big league ! [Wave goodbye to teammates in the small maps]

Starhawk Beta Update: 32 Players, Tanks, Jetbikes
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/03/08/starhawk-beta-update-32-players-tanks-jetbikes/

Hey Starhawkers! Finally, the day has come. We’re launching our Beta Update 1.3 today!

We have one final big step to make before release. Update 1.3 includes a bunch of new features and fixes including:

32 Player Map: Planet Dust
If you thought 8 vs 8 was fun, things just got EPIC!

Sidewinder Jetbike
This vehicle is all about speed, speed, and more speed. As it’s a very hard target to hit, use the Sidewinder for quick hit and run attacks, fast road kills, or team up with others to SWARM the enemy base. Did we mention it jumps, too?

Ox Heavy Tank
Say hello to our little friend. What the Ox lacks in speed, it makes up for in pure brawn and firepower. You can destroy enemy walls and structures via long range bombardments, assault mechs with explosive shells, and survive barrages while comfortable nestled in its heavily armored shell.

Again, video in the link. I can't seem to find many YouTube videos for the latest media anymore. 8^(

[Confused]

What's the difference and relationship between this 1Gb 1.05 patch and the 1.3 update ?

EDIT:
Weird. It's the same thing. After patch, screen now says "Public beta 1.3".

I finally found 15 minutes to play the open beta. It's like a completely different game compared to the mini-maps in the closed beta. The speed bike is an essential addition because the map is huge ! Starhawks seem more powerful now. One took out half our defense. @_@

Can't wait to play this thing for real.

They should definitely give my little Vita a role in the Starhawk world. ;-)

That trailer on the blog looks absolutely fantastically rad ! :p
Unfortunately , I have no idea when I will be back on a ps3 :( !

EDIT: Just saw some of Gamespot Now playing Starhawk 1.3 32 player match and man, the game looks to be awesome !

Last edited by a moderator:
Played a little last night. They've changed it quite a bit. Resources are much cheaper, I guess to speed up the rate of things happening. A jeep costs one Bluejuice to spawn instead of two. A Hawk cost I think 2 instead of 3. Bikes are a penny a piece. There also weren't any buildings from start in the small map. That might be down to server settings.

The tank is seriously powerful. I imagine it'll be nerfed a little. As well as direct fire you have artillery with an up-and-over arc. Good for a spotter camped on a hill to call target instructions. But also every vehicle is a bit fragile. I doesn't take much to blow one up (except when I'm trying to destroy a vehicle :p). In a tank, I think two rockets took me out. Although there's no health bar to see how much damage you are taking.

There's a convenient exploration mode to just check out the maps without getting attacked. I found a massive torpedo pickup for the Hawks out in the desert. It's blue and low down and hard to spot, with a BIG bang when it hits. Want to try one of those in a match. :devilish:

Also added a friend to my clan, but it wasn't clear if we were also partied up or not, as the one game we played on the same side could ahve just been a coincidence. There is no party setting as far as I can see; only the clan, which would be a bit borken. You want to party with someone not in the same clan. Voice chat also stopped halfway through the match which was a bit awkward when I was trying to capture the flag and my friend had build walls all around our flag and I had no way in and no way to tell him to fit a DAMNED DOOR!!

It really is feeling like an excellent game. The tweaks so far have been very considered, refining the beta into a very enjoyable game. It has plenty of variety, and the build mechanic is something new and exciting in a shooter.

Well, im about to head into this for the first time! I've had my Vita fill for now (currently hunting Arwins times down in MS!). Big patch but i'm coming into for the first time of course!

Back