Starhawk (new rumors)

Just thought of another one which was Worms, the orignial on Amiga. They gave the users access to parameters for gravity and friction and stuff, and you could design your own maps as bitmaps, which lead to variations with the gameplay that the edfault game didn't offer. Just providing access to parameters is an easy way to add variety to your game. If it were me, I'd have that in every game at least as an option unlocked when the player completes the first run through. You can provide a tailored experience, and then give them room to experiment.

This is actually a fantastic idea!!

I'd love to see this kind of things in more games. Hopefully Starhawk will set a precedent for Sony's first party online offerings, and then the rest of the industry will follow suit.

I also dig Pastu's idea for a LBP of FPS'... although i think it would have been a bit difficult to do with MAG given the 256 player ginormous maps. They should have done that with SOCOM 4 though... i love the gameplay in that game, especially with MOVE. Had they done it so that you could not only make your own co-op scenarios by picking pre-made levels, but instead made it so that you could actually craft the levels yourself, that would have been awesome!

An LBP of FPSes makes sense. They are generally the same underlying experience. A decent mod toolset for describing weapons could have different user-servers offering different game experiences, tuned according to the host. Of course that would somewhat eat into the whole FPS market, but the major experiences would still hold out. In terms of gameplay I expect it'd generate a massive userbase though, and a decent online community developing ideas. In fact you'd end up trying every sort of tuning and gameplay style for developers of proper games to learn from and include in their AAA titles.

I guess we'll have to see what happens with Starhawk before anyone would even contemplate an FPS Construction Set game.

although i think it would have been a bit difficult to do with MAG given the 256 player ginormous maps.

They can limit the number of players but they will need a way to select custom games/servers. Starhawk seems to have that kind of flexibility, so starting with Starhawk may make (more) sense. It already allows us to add military installations to a game via the RTS mechanics anyway.

[Hype rising]

ModNations is the LBP of racers!

^^^ This statement is the truth !

The only thing I can think of to further extend ModNation Racer is to add game logic (control flow, variables and user items) to the user created levels. It would allow them to do say... a Racer + Monopoly (board) game.

Here we go again...

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/10/21/sweet-sweet-starhawk-beta-news/

We’re going to be starting the Private Beta in November and we’ll be sending a bunch of our Warhawk players (European players too!!) special email invites with Starhawk Private Beta keys. We’re going to be letting players into the Private Beta in waves so we can manage the server load, watch the game balance analytics, etc. The order in which players are granted access is a dark art known only to Sith-IT-Managers and Gywn, Lord of Cinder. But, suffice it to say it’s a mix of your rank/level in Warhawk, your involvement in the Warhawk community, and a few other magical parameters.

So keep checking your email like a Hawk!

Hope they don't listen to closely to recommendations from this first wave of testers. Those with significant rank and involvement already like the game as it is, which means they'll probably be less willing to accept changes that make the game better for everyone else which affect their experience. eg. Those expert fliers who love dominating WH would likely request more power to the fliers in SH, where many players were frustrated with the dominance of the aircraft and would prefer a game where they aren't so powerful.

Don't forget that SH beta codes are included in Uncharted 3. Which makes you wonder...if they are starting a closed beta, it must include all the U3 buyers and WH players, which means it's not very closed at all!

Starhawk Private Beta Begins Rolling Out Tuesday
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/11/18/starhawk-private-beta-begins-rolling-out-tuesday/

After many, many months of hard work we are happy to announce that the Starhawk Private Beta will be live on PSN beginning Tuesday, November 22nd! As you may have read in Dylan’s last PlayStation.Blog post, a selected a number of loyal Warhawk players who have opted-in to receive PlayStation emails will receive Private Beta keys, so if you played Warhawk there’s a chance that you’ll have a voucher invitation in your email in the upcoming weeks! If you don’t get on day one, don’t get discouraged: our Private Beta will be “slow rolled.” That means that we’ll slowly add more fans and features as the Private Beta progresses.

Closed beta begins...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32900705&postcount=1

First impressions :

The build&battle is very fresh take on shooters. There are no neutral zones you have to capture this time, you create your own zones with forward spawn points this time. So there's not going to be set choke point strategies in maps with this system.

CTF's are going to have a real tower defense feel in this game. Already we are building walls and turrets around our flag to protect it. And teams rush to near bridges to build walls and convert them into gates. Almost feels like Age of Empires.

When it comes to shooting on ground, the sticky auto-aim from WH is gone. Its now going to take skill and practice to get kills over medium to long distances with the rifle. Those who hate "First to spot kills" mentality in FPS's these days are going to love this game because its as anti-CoD as it can get.

When it comes to turrets there's two main types in this game, when is like the turret Engineer has from Killzone 2, the other is a powerful beam turret which takes planes out fast. What I don't like is that both are auto, though you can still man the beam turret. I think it takes from the immersion turrets provided in Warhawk.

The jeeps are an improvement over WH's. 4x4's have improved physics but they're fun to use and you easily run people over. Fun as hell.

Air Game : Its very different from WH's and so far the most I've been disappointed with but this is very subjective. They have greatly nerfed the planes abilities (normal flight is completely handicapped though Pro Flight is more or less intact but I can't comment much on that since I never flew Pro in WH). Missile evade system has been revamped and dumbed down sort of (spins are button induced now). You can't hover either. Planes were OP'd and difficult to master in WH so maybe a change for the better but as an old vet I'm a little disappointed here but I think I can learn to fly Pro and just deal with it.

Sony sometimes piss me off with their inconsistency. I got in the Brink closed beta and got reprimanded and threatened with removal entirely from the entire beta tester program for merely saying that i was in the Brink beta. These dudes go on Gaf and spews endless details about a closed non-public beta and nothing happens. How messed up is that? :devilish:

Well i'm not in the StarHawk beta so i dunno if they had to agree to an NDA or not, but still, it's a beta and the game isn't finished yet, so they still shouldn't be allowed to publically relase info. until the devs decide its an open beta.

[\rant]

The game sounds like it's shaping up nicely. And particularly with the way the planes got nerfed in flight mode, i'm happier that it will help level the playing field and make things a bit more balanced. Aside from how OP the Warhawks were in that game, the game had such amazing "rock,paper,scissors"-like balance it was just endless fun.

I'm really glad also for the big gameplay changes too, as it distinguishes this game from Warhawk and lets even the Warhawk vets come in on a relatively even footing with everyone else. However, like Shifty i think it was a mistake to limit the early beta testers to the guys that beta tested the first game (and eventually went on to become the WH vets). As it would be pretty shitty for those of us who haven't played WH in ages, and want to come in to this game and enjoy it, to boot up on launch and get raped once again by the same guys that did the raping in WH, simply because they'd been put there again to master the beta before anyone else gets to touch the game.

Guy said there's no NDA for the closed beta. They want to control the hands-on exposure this time. I'd say it's the right decision since I have been complaining about bad beta/alpha influences since like day 2 or 3 of their very first beta.

Back