Starhawk (new rumors)

This looks like a 3d version of Herzog Zwei w/
-the lite RTS elements.
-AI controlled units
-transformable mechs

Looks very promising.

Everything sounds great here, but I wish they had kept the cartoony Warhawk vibe of the game. The colours, the maps looked better in Warhawk !
This looks more like Red Faction !

I guess it most likely hinged on what they wanted to go for with thier SP campaign. It would have been difficult with the cartoony look to have a serious SP campaign that your audience would be able to take seriously.

In the same vein, looking around at all the more popular games about that pseudo-realistic "gritty" aethetic is what's hot at the moment and sells games. I think a cartoony look would have limited it's appeal amongst the regular FPS/TPS gamers that i think they're targetting.

Saying that though I loved the look of Warhawk but they did say that this is a different game and a different universe. TBH i'm just happy that we're getting space flying combat finally :) (Reach's section was awesome but too short, & KZ3's would have been off the hizzle if it wasn't on rails:cry:)

Hopefully everybody runs out to buy this game so that Sony can be inspired to put money into a new Colony Wars (either that or Mr Braben stops doing kinect garbage and gives us a current gen Elite like he promised)

I'm completely dissapointed with the visual design and with that the excitement for the game has fallen dramatically. I was expecting something "spacey" inspired by Foss/Elson works. Bah.

I'm completely dissapointed with the visual design and with that the excitement for the game has fallen dramatically. I was expecting something "spacey" inspired by Foss/Elson works. Bah.
Don't you mean "your" excitement for the game has fallen? It seems like you are trying to include most people within your opinion.

They haven't shown much though, and they did confirm space based gameplay also. I'd recommend more of a "wait and see approach" ;-)

If the game carries across the fun of Warhawk, i myself will be there day 1 :D

Yeah, I am at the moment a little bit dissapointed as well...whenever I hear space and star...I think about Mass Effect Universe...but, I have to see more to judge if I like the style or not...up to now...

Yeah, I am at the moment a little bit disappointed as well...whenever I hear space and star...I think about Mass Effect Universe...but, I have to see more to judge if I like the style or not...up to now...
Look...

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/05/13/space-battles-and-secrets-tsa-talks-starhawk-with-scea/

"There are space battles, yes absolutely. There are big, epic space battles in and around planets and space stations and you can build in space too.

We’re not showing all the stories in Starhawk just yet due to the production schedule but we wouldn’t have called the game Starhawk if we couldn’t deliver on the fantasy of flying in space, recalling some of those old Colony Wars games, that kind of stuff. You will get your fix of space battles in Starhawk."

This looks like a 3d version of Herzog Zwei w/
-the lite RTS elements.
-AI controlled units
-transformable mechs

Bots support is good since I stink in Warhawk.

How do you pilot a mecha in Starhawk ? Any video showing the controls ? Is it compatible with Move ?

An interesting look at Starhawk. A few media outlets chose it as the best MP game for E3 2011:
http://moviestinger.com/e3-2011s-best-multiplayer-game-starhawk/

Improved graphics and the removal of gimmicky features are enough to make Starhawk worth checking out, but it’s the brand-new features that make the game stand out from the rest. The best new feature that Starhawk offers is the ability for any player to build massive units anytime, anywhere, on the map. Players just have to rack up points by collecting orbs after completing objectives and killing other players, which allows them to hit one button and bring up a building wheel and select various structures to airdrop, like ATV and hawk factories, turrets, walls, bubble shields, and sniper towers. The way buildings look when falling from the sky is crazy in itself (think the live-action Halo 3: ODST ads), but the ability to essentially weaponize them by dropping them on top of unsuspecting suckers (instantly killing them, of course) makes this RTS element truly epic.

I thought this video is great; captures the spirit of the game pretty well.

Love the building animation and mechs.

Incredible game. ^_^

I'm beginning to like how recent games try to combine genra.

You can build and upgrade buildings like an RTS to defend against hoard of enemies. They will change right in front of your eyes. The AIs will know how to enter and use them (or destroy them). You can build perimeter defense, create mechas, transform and fly seamlessly. It will also include space battles and building in space. Everything seems to be fit so seamlessly.

Reminds me of good old Lair, the way it _should_ have been done.

Incredible game. ^_^

I'm beginning to like how recent games try to combine genra.

You can build and upgrade buildings like an RTS to defend against hoard of enemies. They will change right in front of your eyes. The AIs will know how to enter and use them (or destroy them). You can build perimeter defense, create mechas, transform and fly seamlessly. It will also include space battles and building in space. Everything seems to be fit so seamlessly.

Reminds me of good old Lair, the way it _should_ have been done.

Aaaah, Lair... game had so much potential :(

I agree about Starhawk too, although the combining of genres, particularly RTS and action/vehicular/shooter has been done before with a fantastic little game called Battlezone II (Shifty mentioned it earlier i think).

If you've never heard of it you should look it up. Might be a bit too nasty looking to play now though, but the gameplay concept was rock solid. That was my first PC game that i played when my dad upgraded to his first high end gaming rig. The game was incredible and i've been pining for a modern sequel since.

Bless you Dylan Jobe & Lightbox for giving me a spiritual sequel :D

Cool ! I'll read up on Battlezone. Want to see if the whole is more than the sum of the genra. ^_^.

Just saw Twisted Metal gameplay video, it looks like both games share tech ? These games, and U3 will make third person view MP very interesting this year. I generally prefer FPS for shooters.

Good read regarding Starhawk's design elements:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/08/08/starhawk-qa-building-better-worlds/

PSB: From what I’m hearing, Starhawk will offer a lot of multiplayer customization and flexibility. What’s your strategy there?

HB: Hells yes! We feel like a lot of games have been making choices for gamers; we’d rather have gamers make the choices. We’ll have matchmaking, game lists like Warhawk, party systems, tournament systems, and custom games where you can send out invites to bring your friends in. A lot of console games have gone to the “only matchmaking” solution. While it might streamline the game for new users, we think that our players are more sophisticated and deserve to make their own choice. You’ll be able to customize your skills, too, and you’ll gain skills as you level up. Character outfit customization as well…everything that you would expect in a top-of-the-line shooter. Some of the hardcore Warheads (the team’s nickname for Warhawk fans) are very concerned about the skills system and they think it’ll throw off the fairness of the game. We don’t think so and we also know that collecting stuff and making progress online is fun. So we’re going to do it.

Of course, it’s forefront in our mind to make this a very fair game. A public beta will be part of that. Our beta plans are being worked out right now, but we will have one for sure. Our hope is to take care of Warhawk players first.

:love:

Huzzah for the dev if gives users options! I've never understood the hiding of parameters when they're just numbers. Don't impose limits, and let the users pick the limits they like. Looking at what ND have done with U2's online, and the supposed live changes they can make to game tuning, wouldn't it be more fun and varied and interesting to offer a selection of games each with customised parameters, so the strength of weapons, player health, etc. can all be set by the host? I've had lots of fun over the years messing with games where you can change the settings. StarControl had ship customisation by hex-editing files. Similarly UFO:Enemy Unknown could be mixed up in interesting ways. By all means provide a decent set of standards, and perhaps default settings required for ranked games, but also throw open the doors to a customised experience and let the players choose how they like to play the game. You're never going to lose customers by offering a variety that'll appeal to more people!

Huzzah for the dev if gives users options! I've never understood the hiding of parameters when they're just numbers. Don't impose limits, and let the users pick the limits they like. Looking at what ND have done with U2's online, and the supposed live changes they can make to game tuning, wouldn't it be more fun and varied and interesting to offer a selection of games each with customised parameters, so the strength of weapons, player health, etc. can all be set by the host? I've had lots of fun over the years messing with games where you can change the settings. StarControl had ship customisation by hex-editing files. Similarly UFO:Enemy Unknown could be mixed up in interesting ways. By all means provide a decent set of standards, and perhaps default settings required for ranked games, but also throw open the doors to a customised experience and let the players choose how they like to play the game. You're never going to lose customers by offering a variety that'll appeal to more people!

I fully agree Shifty!

I totally LOVED WarHawk for this, and i will love Starhawk equally.

Locking down options from the user for the sake of simplicity is a cancer and blight upon this industry. I actually get offended at the premise that many of these companies seem to think their fanbases are stupid ignoramuses that get confused if their given more than two choices. Hate streamlining in games, and i have much respect for developers that don't treat their customers like imbeciles.

Just thought of another one which was Worms, the orignial on Amiga. They gave the users access to parameters for gravity and friction and stuff, and you could design your own maps as bitmaps, which lead to variations with the gameplay that the edfault game didn't offer. Just providing access to parameters is an easy way to add variety to your game. If it were me, I'd have that in every game at least as an option unlocked when the player completes the first run through. You can provide a tailored experience, and then give them room to experiment.

KZ2's flexible custom game option also helped to build a loyal following. Starhawk seems to one-up KZ2's options (KZ2's party system sucked)

EDIT: Anyway, that's why I thought it would be great for MAG to become the LittleBigPlanet of FPSes. They already have interactive military assets for us to toy with.

Back