SSD advice please

@Davros: http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/...and-windows-vista-and-why-is-it-so-large.aspx Does this link help explain?

Apparently you can trim down your winsxs folder too. I wonder though has anyone used nLite/vLite on their Windows copy? I did with XP x64 and it was huge because the original Win xp x64 cd would have 500-600 mb of stuff I think...after nLiting it I would get a cd that was 150 MB. The OS install time and the hard drive foot print shrunk considerably too. Install would be around 10 min end to end and the windows folder on the hard drive was around 1.2 gb even with all the service packs.

Run "DISM /online /Cleanup-Image /SpSuperseded" in CMD prompt (elevated rights) without the quotation marks. This makes the SP1 upgrade permanent and can significantly reduce the WinSXS folder footprint for some people.

But no it wasn't my WinSXS folder causing the major issue, I use some programs that take a lot of space up on the C:\Program Files folder.

Edit: and anyway when has a geek needed a "proper" reason to upgrade? ;)

Run "DISM /online /Cleanup-Image /SpSuperseded" in CMD prompt (elevated rights) without the quotation marks. This makes the SP1 upgrade permanent and can significantly reduce the WinSXS folder footprint for some people.

That command just recovered 3 gb of hard drive space for me. Nice one dude!

Also, winsxs is mysterious and not actually using up as much space as is reported.

Hello there !

I already have a good old Mtron 64gb SLC ssd for my OS, and now I want one for my games. 256gb will be enough for me, but my "problem" is, I use all my drive on a raid card, so no TRIM for me. Since I won't install games everyday, I think internal garbage collection will be enough, am I wrong ? The new samsung 830 seems pretty nice for my use.

Any advice ?

It's good how a simple question like "What mobo?" can lead to thinking about things a different way.

There are 2 eSata ports internally on my mobo, one of which can be used normally. I had a look in my case and realised I'd plugged the SSD into that interchangable eSATA port. 'Aha!' I thought, and promptly swapped it round with another drive.

This was the improvement I got, old scores first:

Average Read: 147.5 MB/s --> 187.7 MB/s
Access Time: 0.17 ms --> 0.146 ms
Burst rate: 154.4 MB/s --> 210.4 MB/s

The max read speed is now 206.1 MB/s on this latest run, but at a guess it was only above 200 for maybe 10% of the time.

I'm a bit late getting to this but the port you use can be very important. Currently many MB's use a Marvell or Jmicron (some other rarer chips can sometimes be used) to add additional ports to a MB. Unfortunately those generally tend to be quite a bit less performant than the ports using Intels SATA implementation. Either being quite a bit slower, using quite a bit more CPU power, or a combination of both.

Even the Marvell 6 Gbps SATA chipsets that are popular are often slower in real world use than the Intel 3 Gbps SATA ports even when paired up with an SSD that is hitting the 3 Gbps speed cap (Crucial C300 for example).

Regards,
SB

You're right on the money. My eSATA ports are JMicron while my regular ones are Intel.

Sort of ssd related,
I got several of them for free
I ran defraggler and the automatic update kicked in and while updating it displayed the changelog.
this caught my eye
- Improved detection of SSD drives.

A little more work needed on that feature methinks..............
and the drive that is actually a ssd (if you count a usb thumb drive as a ssd) isnt counted as one

The Gaming Gods are showering you in SSD's? I should pray more often to my tower.

Back