SSD advice please

The reason programs can require a pagefile is due to the CreateFileMapping function. If you call the function without a filehandle (to create a shared memory block) it uses the pagefile as the file it memory maps. If you have no pagefile or the pagefile can't fit the block, the call will fail, and chances are the program will crash cause the programmer has been lazy and assumed the call wont fail.

The reason programs can require a pagefile is due to the CreateFileMapping function. If you call the function without a filehandle (to create a shared memory block) it uses the pagefile as the file it memory maps. If you have no pagefile or the pagefile can't fit the block, the call will fail, and chances are the program will crash cause the programmer has been lazy and assumed the call wont fail.

I see.

I googled the function and you are correct. What use does this have ?

Cheers

I see.

I googled the function and you are correct. What use does this have ?

Cheers

This is to create/open a memory mapped file. Basically it allows a program to access a file just like accessing a memory location, thus avoids using ReadFile or WriteFile explicitly. When used carefully it can improve performance considerably because it avoids the additional overheads of calling ReadFile/WriteFile API.

This is to create/open a memory mapped file. Basically it allows a program to access a file just like accessing a memory location, thus avoids using ReadFile or WriteFile explicitly. When used carefully it can improve performance considerably because it avoids the additional overheads of calling ReadFile/WriteFile API.

So it is just memory mapping.

Colourless wrote if you call it without a filehandle, it creates a temporary 'file' in swap space. The only use for this I can think of is for IPC purposes. Is it just used as an easy way to set up shared memory ?

Cheers

ive ran a few games from a ramdrive and loading is instantaneous

I did that under ms-dos, but you had to edit config.sys and reboot with ctrl-alt-del for changing the size, or to enable/disable.

great, but not too practical. but it was a joy managing to load doom 2 so fast.

there are live linux distros that run from ramdrive, puppy linux is an exemple. nothing too impressve, but it's refrshing to see content of start menu show up immediately on a crappy 500MHz computer.

I had a 64GB SSD for my Windows 7 system drive, but it's quickly filled so I have to upgrade to a 80GB one. It has the benefit of quick boot time, but since I don't shutdown my computer very frequently it's not a great benefit. Since 80GB is still not big enough, I have to install most of my games and applications on other normal HDDs so they don't benefit much (if at all) from the SSD.

surely can you get disk usage down a bit. disabling hibernation, disabling system restore, not storing stuff in desktop/my documents (or use symlinks)

I really want to throw a 4GB ramdrive on my desktop, set the compression flag, throw the entire Oblivion folder structure into it, and then built a junction to the ramdrive to replace the C:\Program Files\Oblivion folder.

Might finally solve the remaining stutter on that bastard :D (But, hell, who am I kidding...)

looks like a quick and fun scripting task.

I'm thinking about transfering counterstrike (the ancestor one!) from network to ramdrive. it's under linux with an auto-mounted network share, so it feels like local storage.

what would be fun is only transfering the files I need, i.e. movie files, strictly half-life related directories and files would stay on the physical disks. ramdrive would contain symlink to those.
ditto for config files maybe.

can make your own progress bar with zenity under linux, for windows it would be logical to have similar facilities, using .NET or WPF through powershell or something.

so when you launch your script, from button, run box, command line or hotkey you've got that lovely green bar (loading files, 27 out of 16743) then it either launches the game right away, or notifies you it's ready, press play.
if game was already preloaded, script just launches game.

I've had my little nerdgasm :)
writing little scripts is funny.

So it is just memory mapping.

Colourless wrote if you call it without a filehandle, it creates a temporary 'file' in swap space. The only use for this I can think of is for IPC purposes. Is it just used as an easy way to set up shared memory ?

Cheers

There are easier way to set up shared memory, so it's probably not for this purpose. The only major advantage of using an unnamed file mapping in Win32 I can think of is to make a pseudo "large memory" system on 32 bits systems. Basically, you can create a larger than 4GB memory mapped file and using MapViewOfFile to select a portion of the file in a memory section, so you can create a sliding window of a larger memory space, similar to AWE or EMS.

There are easier way to set up shared memory, so it's probably not for this purpose. The only major advantage of using an unnamed file mapping in Win32 I can think of is to make a pseudo "large memory" system on 32 bits systems. Basically, you can create a larger than 4GB memory mapped file and using MapViewOfFile to select a portion of the file in a memory section, so you can create a sliding window of a larger memory space, similar to AWE or EMS.

Thank you , that makes sense.

Cheers

I am gonna hold off on all these buggy SSD malarkey getting sorted out first before I splurge the money for a couple of them bad boys. My confidence is completely shaken what with this Intel glitch and OCZ crapping out. I think I have yet to read anything bad about the Patriot Wildfire SSDs though.

The Intel firmware fix for the 320 series "Bad Context 13x Error" has finally been released. I managed to update my 160GB drive from the original 0302 version to 0362 without any noticeable issues. My existing partitions remain intact.

The updater program also has new firmwares for most X25 series drives (which have been rumoured to be susceptible to the same issue).

I ordered my friend's girlfriend a Thinkpad T420 with the 160GB Intel SSD option. I assume it's a 320 series so I'll flash it ASAP just to be on the safe side. Figures Intel would have a near flawless track record until I go and recommend one to somebody I know. Sorry about that.

It's the same thing with TV shows. Every one I ever like suffers an early cancellation. Somebody is watching me...

Perhaps. Game of Thrones is doing great though so fingers crossed.

There's a big difference between premium and normal channel shows and being axed though isn't there? I can't say I keep track of a lot of HBO/Showtime etc. shows whether there's a lot of turnover and cut-short series or not, unlike a channel like SciFi (fuck you syfy)

You must be fairly intelligent and have taste then.

Agreed because though I don't watch tv shows as much, they inevitably stop airing them when I get hooked on them. Thank god for the internet! I can get my Firefly addiction satiated that way.

I saw the Intel announcement and I have still yet to make my final decision. I am gonna get an SSD probably for the wife's Leno i5 setup and watch that fly. Then I will probably make my SSD decision over Christmas this year. I have a long list of purchases that need to be sorted first before (denon receiver, graphics cards, games, then SSD :devilish:). It is also interesting to note Samsung has its line of SSDs out in October which should be nice.

There's a big difference between premium and normal channel shows and being axed though isn't there?

Yeah, premium channel shows tend to go for longer even if the ratings aren't good, obviously since advertising revenues don't play a factor.

For me right now looks like Kingston's Hyperx or whatever it's called is top choice at the moment as per the HardOCP review. But then again I will probably change my mind and think SSD tech is too volatile and just say fugghedaboutit.

I've just had my first experience with an SSD. It's a 160GB Intel G3 in a brand new Thinkpad T420. I can now die a happy man. It's that good.

Back