*spin-off* Importance of graphics in the purchase decision process

almighty

Banned
It's Microsoft vs Sony for the hardcore gamers.

Both company's know that in order to get more sales and to out-do the other they need to whoo gamers with flashy hardware and graphics.

Can anyone really see Microsoft releasing a console with a 6670 knowing that Sony will more then likely try to cram as much raw power into a box as they can get and thus making the there 'Next gen' console look not so next gen?

Releasing a next Xbox with a 6670 and thus possibly having a lot less grunt then PS4 would be suicide for Microsoft.

It's Microsoft vs Sony for the hardcore gamers.

Both company's know that in order to get more sales and to out-do the other they need to whoo gamers with flashy hardware and graphics.

Can anyone really see Microsoft releasing a console with a 6670 knowing that Sony will more then likely try to cram as much raw power into a box as they can get and thus making the there 'Next gen' console look not so next gen?

Releasing a next Xbox with a 6670 and thus possibly having a lot less grunt then PS4 would be suicide for Microsoft.

Graphics are not everything, if they make a product that everyone wants the PS4 can be 3X as powerful & still won't change peoples mind about buying the Next Xbox.

Graphics are not everything, if they make a product that everyone wants the PS4 can be 3X as powerful & still won't change peoples mind about buying the Next Xbox.

What machine do you think the casual cows will?

Call of duty on 720 or buy the super version on PS4.

Graphics are everything's and I wish people would stop saying they meen nothing.

Graphics pull in, It's then uptown the gameplay to keep them.

You think Gears, Killzone and Uncharted would of done as well as they have if they looked average?

Would they heck...

Yes, graphcis are everything, that's why Wii didn't sell at all last gen.. oh wait :rolleyes:

Yes, graphcis are everything, that's why Wii didn't sell at all last gen.. oh wait :rolleyes:

Price

And if graphics are everything, than why isnt everybody gaming on pc?

Price...

Fact is that if your game looks amazing it gets loads of attention from people and sells...

Look at all the top selling games on each system and you'll find that most of them were the best looking games around at there time of release.

Graphics are everything's and I wish people would stop saying they meen nothing.

You think Gears, Killzone and Uncharted would of done as well as they have if they looked average?
You can't just isolate graphics (and what aspect of graphics themselves?), otherwise how do you explain Wii? There's an obvious answer there, but it's not so simple as just better graphics.

The nature of how multiplatform titles sell across multiple consoles versus how an exclusive title will sell on the one is somewhat incomparable considering how you're ignoring other factors like the social aspect of the purchasing decision (friends) or other (online service)...

Moving to another thread since this is not the thread for sales trends.

What machine do you think the casual cows will?

Would they heck...

is this a joke?

do you really think that the casual crowd is going to turn their nose up at the graphics from a Console 6 times as powerful as today's consoles?

It depends on the price and how big a difference the visual is (HD, 3D, holographic ?). Also depends on what contents can be shown on the screen (Only movies and console titles ?).

I think if the X720 does indeed have a HD6670-class and the PS4 has something closer to a GTX580, the potential difference in visuals will be so large that most of Microsoft's "high-end gamers" will eventually migrate to Sony.

Price

Price...

Fact is that if your game looks amazing it gets loads of attention from people and sells...

Look at all the top selling games on each system and you'll find that most of them were the best looking games around at there time of release.

If it's just price alone, which it's not but lets just assume it is for arguments sake, how do you think ps4 will do against a much cheaper x720? Because if the ps4 is going to be much more powerful, so much that there is a really clear difference, than how much do you think a ps4 is going to cost? Sony already proved the market for a 600 euro/dollar console is very small and Sony is not going to take billions and billions of losses on selling hardware cheap in the hope that they will make up for it in the long run.

If it's just price alone, which it's not but lets just assume it is for arguments sake, how do you think ps4 will do against a much cheaper x720? Because if the ps4 is going to be much more powerful, so much that there is a really clear difference, than how much do you think a ps4 is going to cost? Sony already proved the market for a 600 euro/dollar console is very small and Sony is not going to take billions and billions of losses on selling hardware cheap in the hope that they will make up for it in the long run.

The PS4 doesn't have to be much more expensive than a Q4 2012-released X720 if they release it a year later.

I think if the X720 does indeed have a HD6670-class and the PS4 has something closer to a GTX580, the potential difference in visuals will be so large that most of Microsoft's "high-end gamers" will eventually migrate to Sony.

Not necessarily. If the 720 games can be ported easily to Windows, Microsoft can tap on its Windows OS to sell new PCs to graphics whores. In this scenario, they sell the "Metro" experience as their new entertainment platform. PCs, 360, 720, Win8 tablets, and other devices will target different segments.

The PS4 doesn't have to be much more expensive than a Q4 2012-released X720 if they release it a year later.

Sony execs said they want to launch around the same time.

EDIT: I'm of the opinion that Sony should port Playstation Suite to Android *and* iOS. Without iOS, the cross-platform framework seems fragile.

The vendors can also go the "distributed system" way if they want to scale performance, but keep initial price low.

Launching a year later is already a disadvantage and launching a year later with the same production price the x720 had a year earlier isn't going to give you a massive leap in performance. Not to mention the x720 could drop in price by then so all you'll end up with is a faster, but not this cant run on the x720 at slightly lower quality faster, console for a higher price.

Before some moron claims casuals don't notice difference in graphics... They do!

Period. Unless we are talking about your grandma who is half blind

Launching a year later is already a disadvantage and launching a year later with the same production price the x720 had a year earlier isn't going to give you a massive leap in performance.
Well I wouldn't assume the same production price either.

How about comparing a Q1 2013 X720 @ $300 to a Q1 2014 PS4 @ $450?
$150 more for graphics/computing subsystem, more memory and beefier PSU - a year later. Wouldn't that probably turn into a huge difference in visuals?

Besides, 2014 isn't far-fetched for PS4. Like patsu said, it's what the Sony execs have been preaching for a while.

Not to mention the x720 could drop in price by then so all you'll end up with is a faster, but not this cant run on the x720 at slightly lower quality faster, console for a higher price.

If we're still talking about my (completely hypothetical) HD6670 -> GTX580 comparison, then I'd take the "slightly lower quality" out of that sentence.

Before some moron claims casuals don't notice difference in graphics... They do!

Period. Unless we are talking about your grandma who is half blind

Yes. I don't think graphics is everything, but I do think there's this implicit "threshold" of graphics quality that, if broken, many people will just reject it for resembling an old console. Hence the Wii not having hardcore gamers (except for Nintendo games fans, of course).

Not until Sony fixes their online services to be at least at the current level of XBox Live.

Graphics is not everything.

no graphics are not everything but if this generation taught us anything the higher perforoming 3rd party games (and online service) for the majority of this gen sold a lot more machines for 360 than anyone ever expected.

so I doubt that this rumor is close to true of final specs and arguing about it is a joke as MS knows it should do as it did this gen. Engineer an efficient yet the most powerful machine they can design within reason that has legs, is developer friendly and can compete with even higher "paper spec'd" machines.

Not until Sony fixes their online services to be at least at the current level of XBox Live.

Graphics is not everything.

What is left to fix? Cross game chat? If they earmarked the memory for that in the Vita I think we can safely assume it'll be there in ps4. Otherwise, what? Parity has been achieved most everywhere else.

Graphics may not be everything, but if a significantly more powerful ps4 launches within a year for $400, MS needs to be prepared to watch their bread and butter CoD and Madden players walk across the aisle. Friends lists won't hold people back as long as everyone is migrating to the same preferred platform.

Graphics is not everything but it's a huge factor for hardcore gamers...but then there is price which is important to hardcore gamers too. In other words if PS4 has 50% better graphics than X720 but cost $100 more it may be a wash. Now if PS4 has 100% better graphics and it sells for $100 more, it may be worth it.

Back