*spin-off* Importance of Backward Compatibility Discussion

AFAIK, the only ones who don't have low level access are those using XNA/indie devs.

Most people, like me, don't play old games on new hardware.

How many XBOX games have 360 owners on this board played? How many PS2 games did launch PS3 owners play?

And there is *zero* difference between digital download and physical media in this context.

Cheers

First year of 360, the more played game was Halo 2… (and in second Halo 2 is also really high)
With multiplayer you need smooth transition more than before…BC is a need for quick transition, don't have it can really hurt for the two first years, after is an other thing.
Look at xboxlive rank, two years old multi games are in top 20, and two years old COD in top 5. So you need to have BC for these games if you want quick adoption.You don't have to support all games, or by free method. ;)
And got BC keep people under your flag, no BC people are free to go in a "more green grass" easily. They need to rebuy all, so why not go away?

Look at xboxlive rank, two years old multi games are in top 20, and two years old COD in top 5. So you need to have BC for these games if you want quick adoption.You don't have to support all games, or by free method. ;)
And got BC keep people under your flag, no BC people are free to go in a "more green grass" easily. They need to rebuy all, so why not go away?

Exactly.

Well, this is assuming that MS likes the ~$1billion/yr they get from xblg and whatever extra profits they get from game licenses and hardware.

Not to mention the untold Billion(s) of potential profit in search and ad revenue ... but hey, they can't afford to put out "exotic" and "risky" hardware such as a $400BOM - that might cause them to have less profits for the first year or *gasp* neutral profits (BOM losses offset by xblg and healthy xb360 ecosystem) for the first year or two ... (!)

Kudos to Sony for producing a hardware spec worth considering and shame on MS for jeopardizing their booming gaming biz.

Underwhelming spec and lack of BC will kill the biz they spent so long building.

Sad.

Look at xboxlive rank, two years old multi games are in top 20, and two years old COD in top 5.
An observation is pretty meaningless without the explanation why. I posit that those CODs are in there because 1) People like playing COD and 2) later COD's weren't enough of a change to justify a new purchase when the old COD is still enjoyable. As such, anyone buying a new console wanting to play COD and being provided a new super COD will rather choose to buy and play that one.

That may not be the case, but a simple statistic like yours tells us nothing much either way.

An observation is pretty meaningless without the explanation why. I posit that those CODs are in there because 1) People like playing COD and 2) later COD's weren't enough of a change to justify a new purchase when the old COD is still enjoyable. As such, anyone buying a new console wanting to play COD and being provided a new super COD will rather choose to buy and play that one.

That may not be the case, but a simple statistic like yours tells us nothing much either way.

It's not that simple for MP games.

People have friends/groups they play MP games with. These people may not be interested in buying a new console yet, or worse, they may be interested in buying a different console than the one you were planning on.

Once consensus is built for which console is "the one to get", the avalanche is set.

Take BC out of the equation, and the above scenario plays out.

Leave BC in, and the above scenario gets a bit trickier as it becomes "easier" to forgive a lesser performer by the group.

PS Mini runs on a virtual platform, which allows them to run identical (which unfortunately often means equally crappy, see Angry Birds Mini) on both PS3 and PSP.

I was surprised to see on the Vita. Store today a Home application that allows you to 'cross buy and play' Arcade games from Playstation Home. I tried out the cute little shooter game that is hand drawn, and it looks and plays great on Vita - pity it is so short actually.

Wasn't expecting to see something like this happen at all.

PS Mini runs on a virtual platform, which allows them to run identical (which unfortunately often means equally crappy, see Angry Birds Mini) on both PS3 and PSP.

I was surprised to see on the Vita. Store today a Home application that allows you to 'cross buy and play' Arcade games from Playstation Home. I tried out the cute little shooter game that is hand drawn, and it looks and plays great on Vita - pity it is so short actually.

Wasn't expecting to see something like this happen at all.

Scribble Shooter ? I like that game. Bought it in PS Home. ^_^

Yeah. Props to Sony for putting out a virtualization platform to allow for portable games, I just wish the games looked better than old GW-BASIC games. :rolleyes:

They should roll Minis into PS Mobile, and port a subset of PS Mobile to home consoles. It's sooooooo fragmented with Home games, Minis, Mobile titles, home console games, SOE, etc. etc. etc.

I don't want to be a total idiot, but how do you guys see Gaikai playing into the backwards compatibility conversation if not for the PS3, but PS4 compatibility with future consoles (if there are any)? Or will latency even on the average cable internet connection in 2014-2016 still make the experience horrible?

I don't want to be a total idiot, but how do you guys see Gaikai playing into the backwards compatibility conversation if not for the PS3, but PS4 compatibility with future consoles (if there are any)? Or will latency even on the average cable internet connection in 2014-2016 still make the experience horrible?

Onlive did work, but it's really a question of the type of games since some types simply suffer more than others. But it's a neat solution to provide PSN purchases with a solution on the PS4.

Back