SOUL CALIBUR IV - Reviews *

Picking up on talk that there're differences between the regular game and the Limited Edition in terms of what is available through customization. Can anyone keyed into all this break down what the deal is?

Is the character customization easily accessible ? Don't want to have another UT3 where the mods are difficult to get to.

Yes, but you have to grind to unlock your outfit.

@xbd: AFAIK LE has some school uniforms for both male and female characters.

AFAIK you got all the tower loot available in CC. The only difference is that you still have to pay for it as opposed to getting it for free is you meet tower lvl criteria.

Is the character customization easily accessible ?

Are they sharable? Didn't follow the thread.
But the customization tool is pretty easy to use, since it's mostly about accessory, armor, hair selection from preset lists (plus colors), as far as I can see. Getting familiar with the perks may take time tough.

The interesting thing is, that tool shows how easy it is to design manga (or vs_fighter) characters.
Put glasses on ladder mask, or give purple afro hair to a samurai with shiny pants and a tail, everything just works (works as in you could sell it as a manga character).

It's all really easy to create yourself, though you can't share characters via file transfer. You can however see all of the stats it takes to make a character on a single screen - so people are simply taking a photo of that screen and sharing that file, and others punch the stats into their version. It takes maybe 5mins or so to make a character from there.

The only "hard" part of CaS for me is identifying colours on outfits. Some items can look entirely different with a different set of colour variables, and are very suitable for different purposes... though I clearly lack the imagination to figure that out myself! As an example, the Sephiroth outfit is very similar to the Dante outfit... but slight tweaks to accessories and major changes to the outfit palette gives a very different result.

On PS3, beat the game on arcade mode with Vader. I'm guessing for 360 same thing, but with Yoda. He is CHEAP.

Cheap as in credits? The game unlocked Vader for me, probably after some story mode -what a bad classification for that thing- or arcade run.
Keeps telling me blabla character is unlocked, skill level n unlocked, new prestige gained or something like those. I have no idea what's going on most of the time.

I tried Vader a couple of days ago, but decided I'd prefer a fast small monkey to a weak big turtle. It's an insult to dark side. Time to check his move list though.

Thanks, btw.

Cheap as in overpowered. In both SKUs you have to finish Arcade (not Story) with available SW character (Vader/Yoda). In case of Yoda finishing Arcade is as simple as holding 6A and exchanging it with 6B when fighting against apprentice (he's probably the toughest one to beat).

Cheap as in credits? The game unlocked Vader for me, probably after some story mode -what a bad classification for that thing- or arcade run.
Keeps telling me blabla character is unlocked, skill level n unlocked, new prestige gained or something like those. I have no idea what's going on most of the time.

I tried Vader a couple of days ago, but decided I'd prefer a fast small monkey to a weak big turtle. It's an insult to dark side. Time to check his move list though.

Thanks, btw.

For me, getting the apprentice with Vader was incredibly painful. I button-mashed my way to him, no problem, but I actually had to learn his moves to get anywhere vs. the apprentice, haha.

For me, getting the apprentice with Vader was incredibly painful. I button-mashed my way to him, no problem, but I actually had to learn his moves to get anywhere vs. the apprentice, haha.

Yeah, he is a pain in the back. I now remember that I gave up on Vader after a couple of hopeless rounds with The Apprentice. The funny thing is when you play with him, Vader is pretty easy opponent despite not knowing any signature moves of the Apprentice.
BTW, Apprentice's (L1?) throw felt really overpowered. Very easy to throw the opponent out of the ring. :(

Yeah, he is a pain in the back. I now remember that I gave up on Vader after a couple of hopeless rounds with The Apprentice. The funny thing is when you play with him, Vader is pretty easy opponent despite not knowing any signature moves of the Apprentice.
BTW, Apprentice's (L1?) throw felt really overpowered. Very easy to throw the opponent out of the ring. :(

I dunno - Vader's "Emperor Throw" Is pretty effective for ring outs. Overall - I consider vader the most balanced out of the three SW characters. He's got a decent mid-high game and his low-man stretch is freaking godly (the rush). If anything - you're not going to get more than a 5-hit combo with him, and that breaks his "juggle-ability" which isn't bad considering he can hit you to death in four blows :)

The apprentice is a neat character - but he's too force-reliant. He's got a good mid-high game and his combo strings can get nasty with a mid-mid-high-mid setup, but he's got 0 freaking low-game, and (insofar as I can tell) doesn't have an effective trip or shin-crack - which renders him pretty useless against ducking-happy characters (read:Voldo - i can play Voldo for hours in a crouching or laid-down position and be freaking unstoppable). I haven't spent too much time with Yoda yet, but I'd wager that a good yoda player could ultimately wipe the floor with the apprentice.

Jack

The apprentice is a neat character - but he's too force-reliant. He's got a good mid-high game and his combo strings can get nasty with a mid-mid-high-mid setup, but he's got 0 freaking low-game, and (insofar as I can tell) doesn't have an effective trip or shin-crack - which renders him pretty useless against ducking-happy characters (read:Voldo - i can play Voldo for hours in a crouching or laid-down position and be freaking unstoppable). I haven't spent too much time with Yoda yet, but I'd wager that a good yoda player could ultimately wipe the floor with the apprentice.

Jack
Yep - really any character with a decent set of low attacks can take on the apprentice because he's really easy to defend against. His high/mid game is also punishable due to its relatively short range, although his force powers can take some getting used to. I managed to take him out with Yoda through a few simple attacks mixed with throws, since he's always blocking.

Back