pimp time: soul calibur 3

darkblu

Veteran
if you're a soul calibur fan - you need to read this. if you're not a fan, or you're a fan whose feelings have cooled down lately (yeah, sc2 was not much of a treat) - you want to read on.

remeber that feeling when you first saw the original soul calibur? - the awe caused by the fluidity of the meticulously mocapped martial arts and the vibrance and style of the visuals? that sense which, if you were a game developer, would be mixed with large doses of professional envy and respect?

well, i personaly hadn't sensed that feeling for quite some time. sc2 failed to induce it in me, for various reasons (the not-so-successfully animated feet, excessively-pastel visuals, and the overall feeling of rehash among the top reasons).

that was until yesterday, when i accidentally came across a ps2 kiosk at my local toy'r'us and noticed a guy plaing some distantlly familiar fighter on it. as my vision is not that good anymore and the tv at the kiosk was, erm, crappy at best, i had to approach close begind the guy's back to recognize the title.

no, doubt, there it was, the 3rd of the series, in all its glory. a finest sample of soul calibur, special vinatge. a game that makes you ask yourself in disbelief '..it can't be running on the system it seems to be running on, can it?'

ok, the scoop on visuals:
  • stages - just one word - ming-bogling. i tried to figure out a rough estimate of the geometrical complexity - i failed due to the skillful blending of paralx maps and geometry. anyway, must be in the high thousands. respect.
  • the characters are of the typically rich SC visual style - attires of rich ornamentation and fresnelish fabrics, just beautiful to watch. nice use of fur techniques. self shadowing a bit crude and it has what to be desired of, yet considering the paltform - a nice touch.
  • stages with light bloom and tonal mapping effects - i had to keep repeating to myself that i was watching a ps2 title..
  • darn nice full frame effects - speed motion blur, sonic boom, heat haze and shimmering.

game mode
  • the classic per-character story mode - more in the style of sc2 - multiple paths of advancement - you take decisions which affect the furhter development of the story.
  • an RTS-mixed-with-RPG mode where you create and develop your own character who fights in a RTS-style war among three kingdoms - darn cute.
  • full-fledged characters editor - body armors, garments, weapons - let your imagination run loose. you can try match your skills vs namco's character designers ; )

gimmics
  • in-engine cinematics (some at 30fps seemingly, with extra bells and whistles) - with player quick interaction moments ala RE4. cinematics occuring in the story mode, and depending on the taken branch of the story, makeing you want to replay all the branches of the character's story to see all the cinematics. later on available for replay in the museum.
  • tons of unlockables - aside from the traditional soul calibur unlockables you now get parts for the character editor. plus weapons now have unique abilities - armor piercing, extended range, etc. some of the qualities were already in sc2, but some are brand new.

the game is a bloody system seller. so after 15min of standing at the kiosk i succumbed and shelled out the cash for a pstwo slim. and trust me, i have no regrets whatsoever : )

Back