SOUL CALIBUR IV - Reviews *

No doubt both systems will get the Star Wars character of the other as a microtransaction option.

@Florin: I agree, M.U.L.E. is one of the greatest multiplayer games of all time - just the sound effects alone are awesome. Looks like that OpenMULE project may have stagnated some in the past year or so... I hope they get back on track. MULE and X-Com (have to give a shout out to X-Com) are two games that are dying for modern incarnations. Speaking of C64 though, I'd love some Wings of Fury and Mail Order Monsters as well.

Well that blows but you could look at it as, "cheaper to pay DLC than to buy another system and another copy of the game."

It was visible from a million miles away though, as soon as the fact each game would have one of the two was disclosed. Frankly I think it's pretty smart of them from a marketing and revenue perspective, because people will definitely pay out to have both, but it preserves the 'uniqueness' of the shipping package that is often associated with these games (and especially the Soul Caliber series).

It was visible from a million miles away though, as soon as the fact each game would have one of the two was disclosed. Frankly I think it's pretty smart of them from a marketing and revenue perspective, because people will definitely pay out to have both, but it preserves the 'uniqueness' of the shipping package that is often associated with these games (and especially the Soul Caliber series).

It's certainly better than SCII, where the only way to get all the characters was to buy all three versions.

The publishers have to be careful about spoiling DLC's name though. It is getting quite a bit of bad press and bad impressions.

IMHO, I think it's too soon to do so. I didn't want to comment on the pricing in case it's only half the story.

I have to say, this game looks horrible. And the animations ... eck. Initially, I got to know Soul Calibur as the game that had better gameplay than Tekken and with weapons. But the weapons so far seem to be only keeping the game back for me, as except for a rare exception here and there they don't make any sense at all. And watching the trailers now, the gameplay doesn't look hot either - the running / free movement aspect seems to be completely lost presumably partly by the range of the weapons and the way their hit system works. Compare that to for instance Virtua Fighter and ...

Yuck. I still like Tekken but I increasingly feel someone needs to thoroughly reinvent this genre, hopefully with a lt of cool ragdoll and physics effects.

I have to say, this game looks horrible. And the animations ... eck. Initially, I got to know Soul Calibur as the game that had better gameplay than Tekken and with weapons. But the weapons so far seem to be only keeping the game back for me, as except for a rare exception here and there they don't make any sense at all. And watching the trailers now, the gameplay doesn't look hot either - the running / free movement aspect seems to be completely lost presumably partly by the range of the weapons and the way their hit system works. Compare that to for instance Virtua Fighter and ...

Yuck. I still like Tekken but I increasingly feel someone needs to thoroughly reinvent this genre, hopefully with a lt of cool ragdoll and physics effects.

I'll take the opposite stance - Tekken looks far more rigid - mostly thanks to the much beloved "dial-a-combo" system that the series is holding on to harder than the Mortal Kombat Franchise.

Soul Calibur's animation IS more fluid as a result of it's string system. We can argue the technical merrits of fighting game systems all day long - but I'll take Soul Calibur over Tekken, at least in terms of visuals, any day of the week

Jack

No I realise that it is a matter of taste in terms of graphics, and Tekken doesn't even have a proper next-gen version yet, not to mention that what I've seen so far doesn't look like much either. But both of the games, at least to me (and I've played some of them - all of the Tekken ones - quite a bit), look like they haven't evolved much since the Playstation 1.

The online part of this game seems a direct port of PSN Tekken 5's system, by the way. I understand that, but for such a big title they could have improved a few things a little ... oh well.

No I realise that it is a matter of taste in terms of graphics, and Tekken doesn't even have a proper next-gen version yet, not to mention that what I've seen so far doesn't look like much either. But both of the games, at least to me (and I've played some of them - all of the Tekken ones - quite a bit), look like they haven't evolved much since the Playstation 1.

The online part of this game seems a direct port of PSN Tekken 5's system, by the way. I understand that, but for such a big title they could have improved a few things a little ... oh well.

With fighters it's tough, because changing too much means eliminating the fans of the series too much. But change too little, and you get feedback like yours. An example of positive change was Tekken's moves from 1 to 2 to 3, adding in bits of new stuff but generally keeping the same "feel" (though I was upset at losing Kazuya, my unbeatable main in both previous games, in T3!). Street Fighter has had this problem too, with so many iterations, the fanbase tends to go back to somewhere near the start for the "best" of the series.

For me, the peaks of Tekken was Tekken3, while the "Soul" series was SoulCalibur on DC. VF seems to get better with each iteration, though, so that's always nice. I'll have to see on SC4 (tomorrow in AU :cry: ).

So after digging into SCIV, it seems like a decent entry into the series. Mitsurugi, my main, seems to be pretty much the same as in SC2. Lots of the gameplay changes seeem pretty pointless, since in a normal fight they simply won't come into play most of the time.

As for modes and whatnot, Tower of Souls is a pain in the ass. I'm at Floor 60 (the top) right now and can't for the life of me beat Angol. I am proud to have gotten that far, though... some of the floors in the 40's were insane! And the treasure chest objectives are just nutty.

The character customisation is bloody entertaining though. I've got my Sephiroth, Zack, Ryu Hayabusa and Bison all lined up, though they're only really any good for non-special (stat/effect free) matches.

Online so far is very hit and miss for me. Wish more Aussies were buying the game, since I've had mainly 2 bar matches so far, which is useless.

Anyway, I'm interested in other people's feedback.. surely some of you are playing?

The character customisation is bloody entertaining though. I've got my Sephiroth, Zack, Ryu Hayabusa and Bison all lined up, though they're only really any good for non-special (stat/effect free) matches.
I d love to see pictures of those characters you made :)

So after digging into SCIV, it seems like a decent entry into the series. Mitsurugi, my main, seems to be pretty much the same as in SC2. Lots of the gameplay changes seeem pretty pointless, since in a normal fight they simply won't come into play most of the time.

As for modes and whatnot, Tower of Souls is a pain in the ass. I'm at Floor 60 (the top) right now and can't for the life of me beat Angol. I am proud to have gotten that far, though... some of the floors in the 40's were insane! And the treasure chest objectives are just nutty.

Online so far is very hit and miss for me. Wish more Aussies were buying the game, since I've had mainly 2 bar matches so far, which is useless.

Anyway, I'm interested in other people's feedback.. surely some of you are playing?

melbourne here. been playing the game for last couple of days, one thing i enjoyed the most is the character customize. the flexibility of choosing so many options and items is great and im way early in the game. the game looks really good and the fighting mechamics feels smooth, but some of the combos are pretty tricky to pull, but i dont play fighting games that much. i can see myself hovering on the custom character mode alot more than i playing the story mode since the story is pretty weak. overall im glad i bought it for the sake of owning a nextgen fighter.

For some good character creation ideas and examples, have a browse of:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=328114 - some amazing ones there, and that's where I got my Sephiroth (along with a few others) formula

There's also a huge list, along with formulas, in this thread: http://www.achieve360points.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89654. Read the whole thread, since most of the formulas aren't in the OP.

I won't embed the pics for fear of Alstrong's ninja modden dragon sword.
http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/2752/sephiroth1xh5.jpg
http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/9579/sephiroth2rc6.jpg
Forumla for Seph is http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/9161/sephirothformulazi1.jpg

There's some stunners at both links. The Dante looks pretty good implemented and on your screen, as do the FFVII characters - especially Zack. I haven't seen a really decent Cloud yet, and I'm not a huge fan of Siegfried. I also haven't seen to many good female CaS's just yet, so we'll have to see.

I thought Sephiroth at least was made by you :)

I am amazed by the amount of options available in character editing. Possibilities are endless from what I can see in the links you provided!

Wow... I had no idea there were that many options available for character creation. I thought it was sort of a mix-and-match comprised mostly of stuff from other characters. It's like the Spore Creature Creator in a fighting game.. hehe. I might have to pick this one up after all.

now this is the true beauty of the game, the Sephiroth mod does look cool. the massive swords available there is perfect for FF chars. i cant wait to create "Tifa" and "Cloud-do".

Yeah, the character customisation in this game is pretty sweet I must say.

Back