Soul Calibur 2 Xbox will support 720p?!!!?

WHICH makes me wonder... why would little monkey care about having soul calibur2 at 720p anyway... unless big daddy monkey just bought a state of the art HDTV....... :LOL:

my guess is that its going to be 480p for all three the consoles.

while here in europe it will be 480p only on PS2 ha ha ha now thats funny!!! :rolleyes:

(note: progressive scan support was cut from PAL xbox and GC but not on PS2 here in good old europe)

Yes, many HDTVs are max at 1080i only, 720p support is a niche thing.

Well yes and no... It's not like they can't read the signal, they just typically upconvert to 1080i...

I hope the visuals are the same among all consoles. It was bad enough to get the worst extra character, Heihachi, and getting a very "weak" version would be a new insult for PS2 gamers. :?

archie4oz said:
Yes, many HDTVs are max at 1080i only, 720p support is a niche thing.

Well yes and no... It's not like they can't read the signal, they just typically upconvert to 1080i...

Most of the old ones don't support 720p from what I know, broadcast programmes are mainly 1080i (or lower) with some special ones at 720p. But that can be old info as I didn't check it very closely.

BoddoZerg:
Why do people give a sh*t about 720p support on Xbox?
Because 720p is a 3x leap over 480p, let alone an anemic 480i.
It's not like anyone I know has a HDTV.
Almost everyone has a set capable of HDTV resolutions.
Even if they did, the amount of compromise you'd need to make to have a game run at 720p is unacceptable.
You mean the unacceptable "compromise" in the Xbox versions of NBA 2K3, Tony Hawk 4, and Street Hoops where they actually enhanced the base graphics in addition to upping the resolution by 3 times and running in progressive? Yeah, I hate compromises that give me better base graphics on top of 720p... clearly unacceptable...
On console, you can use the 640*480 limitation to allow extremely fillrate-demanding effects that simply wouldn't be possible at higher resolutions.
And now we've gotten to the point where layering more and more effects just doesn't have as much of a visual impact as rendering at a higher detail level.
The real argument is this - if you can make a game with lots of effects run smoothly at 720p, you really SHOULD cut it down to 480i and make even more effects.
Games like NBA 2K3 on Xbox already have more effects at 480i than on PS2. The best upgrade, though, comes from 3x res increase if you've ever been fortunate enough to see it.
The best thing to happen to those games with all that >99% of the population does not have HDTV.
You don't need an HDTV for 720p.
For myself and every single person I know, the game with more effects and lower resolution will look better than the game with less effects and higher resolution, because we don't have a display for the higher resolution...
Wrong. You most certainly do have a display for 720p, 1080i, proscan and all that. It's called a computer monitor, and it's what you're using right now. They're at least as widespread as basic TVs, they cost even less than basic TVs (let alone the vastly more expensive HDTVs), and the smaller dot-pitch delivers even more image clarity than HDTVs.

With a real VGA solution, all of your complaints have been addressed. Screen size fills roughly the same field of vision as larger TVs when you appropraitely alter your viewing distance.

Proscan, 720p, 1080i, and all those fancy HDTV terms have always been within reach of the general consumer without the need to be among the rich 1% and their high-tech toys. People may not have widely adopted VGA for consoles, but they have no excuse not to. That is why 720p for Xbox, or proscan for Dreamcast, or HDTV-level support for anything is important and [/b]is[/b] most certainly useful right now.

Logan Leonhart:
I hope the visuals are the same among all consoles. It was bad enough to get the worst extra character, Heihachi, and getting a very "weak" version would be a new insult for PS2 gamers.
Why should the gamers of the more powerful consoles be penalized by a version that doesn't push the limits of their console? The game was already built from the ground up for PS2, so why should you object to other people getting the visual bonus their machine allows? Only a fanboi would actually wish for customers of another system to get short-changed...

Most of the old ones don't support 720p from what I know, broadcast programmes are mainly 1080i (or lower) with some special ones at 720p. But that can be old info as I didn't check it very closely.

How old we talkin' here? My '95 Hi-Vision set would not only receive a 720p signal it will display it. The lack of 'displaying' a 720p picture is actually a rather new phenomena mainly due (as you mentioned) to broadcasts mainly being 1080i (it's a better format for broadcast) and fewer and fewer sets themselves coming with tuners (to reduce up front costs to consumers), thus relying on external tuners to do the scan conversion from 720p to 1080i (and those with internal tuners that don't display 720p typically do their own scan conversion).

this whole HDTV talk just makes me wonder....

when are we going to get "at least" some info on HDTV standards here in good ol'europe?

i mean, mr archie here telling us how he's got a frigging 1995 HDTV and we still dont even have a proper standard, let alone proper HDTV here in the land of hairy armpits...

And now we've gotten to the point where layering more and more effects just doesn't have as much of a visual impact as rendering at a higher detail level.
Uh, clearly this is very open to discussion. I would make a bet that majority of people would prefer graphics in something like Doom 3 in 640x480 than something like Street Hoops or NBA2K3 in 720p. The thing is, the three games you mentioned look quite basic comapred to the best achievements on any of the three consoles.

People may not have widely adopted VGA for consoles, but they have no excuse not to.
Well, the main reason to not to adopt that is the very reason people switch from PC games to consoles. Comfort and screen size. The smallest TVs have about the same screen size as the most expensive big monitors, and I'm sure as hell not going to drag my console with all those cables, across the room, every time I want to see how it looks in higher resolution (nor am I going to put my monitor on top of a TV set so I can have it handy)

london-boy:
this whole HDTV talk just makes me wonder....

when are we going to get "at least" some info on HDTV standards here in good ol'europe?

i mean, mr archie here telling us how he's got a frigging 1995 HDTV and we still dont even have a proper standard, let alone proper HDTV here in the land of hairy armpits...
Chalk up another advantage for VGA on top of the aforementioned acceptance rate, price, and image quality. The standards for VGA have been set years ago. The devices for using it are already out and widespread, and there are no conflicts to worry about or fears that the spec might change and make your set less useful.

marconelly!:
Well, the main reason to not to adopt that is the very reason people switch from PC games to consoles. Comfort and screen size. The smallest TVs have about the same screen size as the most expensive big monitors, and I'm sure as hell not going to drag my console with all those cables, across the room, every time I want to see how it looks in higher resolution (nor am I going to put my monitor on top of a TV set so I can have it handy)
You bought a TV and moved it into your family room, right? So, do the same with a monitor.

Not only can you get 19" or 21" monitors with beautiful displays for several hundred dollars only (competitive with both TVs in price and HDTVs in image quality), but you're supposed to adjust your sitting distance from any screen proportionally to its size anyway. So, if you set up a monitor in your family room (which is roughly the size of the TV you say you're already using) and sit several feet away, your field of view will be covered pretty well.

Oh, and I forgot one of the best points of VGA - It works the same for every territory. It's a universal standard that allows people in Europe, Asia, North America, or wherever to run it exactly the same way and have a common medium for playing games from any territory. No need to worry about NTSC or PAL or 50hz/60hz or more/less colors or any of that nonsense.

Where does it actually say that the XBox version will run in 720p and where does it say it'll also use FSAA?.. nowhere AFAICS.

chap you need to realise that the ability to run in 720p does not make XBox 3 times as powerful or anywhere near half a generation ahead. GC and probably even PS2 could also handle 720p from the perspective of power (they have the bandwidth and fillrate). The reason they don't do it is because GC and PS2, unlike XBox, both render the frame on-chip and a 720p frame won't fit in space available. So its actually a matter of a lack of framebuffer/Z-buffer space rather then power per say.

You bought a TV and moved it into your family room, right? So, do the same with a monitor.
I suppose I could do that, but it would look pretty ugly next to the TV. My wife wouldn't like that (in other words, not worth it :p )

Actually I'm on my 3rd set... The one I mentioned my Uni roommate kept when we graduated and I bought another shortly after, which I sold after I got transferred to the US. In which I bought another one for the US. Although if/when I move back I'll probably look into a flat-panel TV for space reasons (especially since they pretty common over there as well).

As far standards go, you can blame a lot of that on national insecurity over the idea of adopting a Japanese broadcast standard (then fussing with the US over standards proposals). In the US there was also the factor of the FCC allocating and selling bandwith for terrestrial broadcast to local affiliates(sp?), whereas in Japan Hi-Vision's MUSE signals were/is broadcast over DBS satellites which meant that when NHK first started broadcasting Hi-Vision) you could go out and buy equipment and not worry about your local whether your local affiliate was going to be broadcasting it. Even with MUSE encoding, HDTV signals were still too bandwidth heavy for based on the US broadcasting infrastructure, thus HDTV pretty much sat still 'till somebody figured how to make digital broadcasting practical.

Chalk up another advantage for VGA on top of the aforementioned acceptance rate, price, and image quality. The standards for VGA have been set years ago.

Ummm... You wanna try and broadcast VGA?!? Granted some TVs have had it (many early Hi-Vision sets had VGA, even my '95 model had it, although it was hard finding systems that could crank out a 1080p signal a 60Hz back then). However since television interconnects have revolved around broadcast signals and broadcast storage it's perfectly understandable why VGA has never been adopted (never mind the high-bandwidth requirements even over wire).

Not only can you get 19" or 21" monitors with beautiful displays for several hundred dollars only (competitive with both TVs in price and HDTVs in image quality), but you're supposed to adjust your sitting distance from any screen proportionally to its size anyway. So, if you set up a monitor in your family room (which is roughly the size of the TV you say you're already using) and sit several feet away, your field of view will be covered pretty well.

Yeah accept a decent 21" monitor is a hella lot more expensive than a 21" TV. I used to have one of those 24" 16x10 Sony monitors and I cost a pretty penny (not to mention HUGE and HEAVY). Going bigger gets you at best a pretty crappy monitor that makes for a pretty crappy TV (especially since computer monitors lack any decent filtering for YUV signals or pretty much any else besides a VESA signal). Unless you also want to include an HTPC with the whole thing...

Lazy8s said:
BoddoZerg:
[Logan Leonhart:
I hope the visuals are the same among all consoles. It was bad enough to get the worst extra character, Heihachi, and getting a very "weak" version would be a new insult for PS2 gamers.
Why should the gamers of the more powerful consoles be penalized by a version that doesn't push the limits of their console? The game was already built from the ground up for PS2, so why should you object to other people getting the visual bonus their machine allows? Only a fanboi would actually wish for customers of another system to get short-changed...

I didn´t want to respond since I´m evidently the one off-topic here, but anyway. :p

I don´t think it is in any way fanboyish to think that the three SC2 versions should be the same. The game, at least IMO, honestly looks very pleasing in its current state, and it can be argued that Namco decided on the worst extra character for the PS2 version.
At least by having all of the three versions I think PS2 gamers wouldn´t end up being as disencouraged to get that version. GCN and Xbox already have other games to show as graphical showcases, and SC2 doesn´t look terrible in any case.
IMO, multiplattform releases should differentiate themselves in software-related content, while increasing the number of exclusives.

archie4oz said:

How old we talkin' here? My '95 Hi-Vision set would not only receive a 720p signal it will display it. The lack of 'displaying' a 720p picture is actually a rather new phenomena mainly due (as you mentioned) to broadcasts mainly being 1080i (it's a better format for broadcast) and fewer and fewer sets themselves coming with tuners (to reduce up front costs to consumers), thus relying on external tuners to do the scan conversion from 720p to 1080i (and those with internal tuners that don't display 720p typically do their own scan conversion).

Those with tuner will mostly down convert 720p -> 480p than 1080i, but for sure there may be exceptions.

For those depends on external tuners the external tuners can limit the output to native, 480p/1080i, 480p or just 480i (NTSC).

Anyway, there are models that only support up to 1080i on the HD-component input, tuner is another path, the above from what I used to know, I may not be up to date.

wowowowowhoa! wait a minute! Here we have a system that gives you extra features and you think it sucks and totally unnecessary? :oops: where is the logic in that :?: :?: :?:

some of you have HDTV some of you don't, but it does not mean those who have cannot enjoy hires game.

REMEMBER that SC2 is PORT! Sure, NAMCO can delay the Xbox version for another 6 months and do a full upgrade. But that will take too much time and will be a slap to System246(or PS2!!) face. Or they can take the easier way out and bump up the resolution! 8)

GC and probably even PS2 could also handle 720p from the perspective of power (they have the bandwidth and fillrate). The reason they don't do it is because GC and PS2, unlike XBox, both render the frame on-chip and a 720p frame won't fit in space available. So its actually a matter of a lack of framebuffer/Z-buffer space rather then power per say.
Simply said, PS2 and GC do not have the capabilities to do it. Too bad. :p Blame Xbox because it has more ram than the others. :cry:

chap said:
Simply said, PS2 and GC do not have the capabilities to do it. Too bad. :p Blame Xbox because it has more ram than the others. :cry:

Not sure about GC, but PS2 in a formula one game that have been mentioned here before are rendered with 960 vertical lines and downsampled to 480i output.

This will prove that PS2 can handle 720p output (720p does not necessary be 1280x720, it can be 640x720 as long as the signal timing is correct), quality wise is another issue as we do not have a sample to compare it with as long as Sony limit the licensed games output to 480p or lower.

Ya know what? We are not seeing enough 480p games on PS2, so me say 720p is slightly too ambitious for now. ;)

:idea: Will ZOE2 or SH3 support 480p :?:

chap said:
Ya know what? We are not seeing enough 480p games on PS2, so me say 720p is slightly too ambitious for now. ;)

:idea: Will ZOE2 or SH3 support 480p :?:

I certainly am all for the progressive games, but looks like those that support 480p are arcade ports (GGXX, TK4, coming VF4 EVO) except the coming Star Ocean 3. ZOE2 and SH3 progressive support are unknown.

I do not know about progressive support for non-Japanese games, but looks like there are more progressive output games than Japanese versions.

Even so we have not heard of any games that output over 480p.

That's why I said there is no sample available to be compared.

Back