2003: The year of the Xbox

Silent Hill 2 is on Xbox too with an extra scenario to play and a nice improvement to the graphics, especially in lighting and with double the resolution over time with progressive scan.

I think they re-released the game on PS2 later with the inclusion of that that extra Restless Dreams scenario.

Yes, the $20 Greatest Hits version for PS2 includes that extra scenario (I have it). Xbox version is the best looking of the three, basically because it has per pixel lighting, but it's not without problems. It's unpolished in places (unsynchronized sound, 30FPS FMV vs the 60FPS on PS2...)

While the light from the flashlight is per-pixel, it isn't the same per-pixel lighting used in Doom 3.
That's clearly true. Doom3 uses per-pixel with normal maps on pretty much everything. I wasn't trying to argue that.

Bah...
between SHs, REs, ClockTowers, Zeros and god knows what else, I think PS2 has more then enough of claustrophobic 1x1meter room games already. Last thing it needs is a crappy port of a PC wannabe of the above games :LOL:
Seriously though, half of this board is always complaining about murky look of PS2 games, and now you want Another one? :eek:

Oh, since I'm in this kind of mood today, let me add a little thought. I think Doom3 could be a better looking game if it were created as a console-XBox exclusive... :p Ok, I'll stop now.

Wazoo,
I don't remember about SH2, but if you want to see it - rent/buy StarshipTrooper Chronicle DVDs sometime.

Fafalada said:
Bah...

Wazoo,
I don't remember about SH2, but if you want to see it - rent/buy StarshipTrooper Chronicle DVDs sometime.

I do not get it. the SH cinemas are MPEG2 videos in 30fps, no ??

The fact that they look worse on the xbox is because the used codec is not as good on xbox with this game ?? Advantage for the ps2 to rely on its standard DVD videos capabilities.

Advantage for the ps2 to rely on its standard DVD videos capabilities.
Which don't set an upper limit for framerate - that's why I pointed you to Chronicles - where you can see 60fps in certain scenes in standard DVD video discs.

I don't remember right now what fps SH2 cinemas are, but I do know there are other PS2 games with 60hz FMV - and contrary to what some people might think, 60hz movies do look different - it's rather neat to have it included when there's space to waste :)

Oh I'm sure there's a visible difference between 30Hz and 60Hz FMV. A few shows on cable are recorded on HD cameras at 60Hz and I immediately notice the difference.

CaptainHowdy:

> Actually, the Xbox version of Doom 3 was announced officially about 2
> months ago.

That right? Mind digging up a press release for me (don't bother looking. There isn't one).

Qroach:

> "Your strong belief" that doesn't have a foot to stand on.

Please... like I said, there's precedence. What id game hasn't been whored around to damn near every console in existance?

And there are plenty of examples of ports being made in spite of visible sacrifices. SNES Doom and PS1 Quake 2 come to mind.

> Fine it's your belief, that's why you keep changing your story I suppose.

Your lacking ability to seperate two different statements amazes me. You should seek professional help.

> It's nothing but pipe ream from a IMO.

Of course not... it's all about Xbox to you.

> If he actually said it was getting ported, then he'd come aout and say
> that.

I'm not saying that he confirmed a port. I'm saying he said there might be a port. He can't confirm a port because id doesn't know enough about the hardware and because they weren't giving much thought to the ports at the time. The focus is on the PC version. Only when it is done will they start work on the console versions.

The only reason why they've said there will be an Xbox version is because Carmack is on the Xbox Advisory Board and therefor knows the hardware. They aren't actually porting the game to the Xbox at this moment.

> You however can't if you really believe Id's CEO said the game was
> coming to the cube from the statement you posted.

Is you brain incapable of processing the word "might"?

> You stated personal opinion as fact cubite.

And time will prove me right.

> Actually it has been formally annouced.

Nonsense. Until there is a press release nothing has been formally announced.

> As if you need anything more formal then to hear Carmack saying it's
> going to be done.

Carmack doesn't run id.

> Carmack is going to do the port himself.

Tim Willits doesn't think so:

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/august02/quakecon2002/id/index2.shtml

Tim Willits: We have not signed a deal for an Xbox port, and we do not have a developer -- we are not going to develop it completely internal. We think the Xbox technology is most conducive to the game, because it's just a Ge4-and-a-half and a 733. But, as with all PC games that have console versions, some changes will be necessary. It's really important to us to find a good developer that we like and can work with, but until we sign a deal, it's premature to talk about it.

It's easy to get it running on the Xbox -- because it's just a PC -- but that's as far as we've gone.

Not that I disagree with you. I too believe Carmack will do the port himself (the only other console port he's done was Doom for the Jaguar. He has a thing for American hardware) but you clearly have problems seperating whatever you've dreamed up in your head from actual facts.

Talk about picking the single most negative post from that conference when trying to proove your point cybamerc... how about this:
From Gamespot:
Id Software had previously expressed interest in doing an Xbox version of its upcoming first-person shooter, but hadn't confirmed that there would be a console version of the game. Today during his keynote at QuakeCon, id's John Carmack said that the Xbox is the only console platform that id is "completely committed" to releasing Doom III on. Carmack further commented that the Xbox version will have the "full graphics fidelity" of the PC version, which made a major debut at this year's E3, where it won a number of awards.
Okay so there is no press release, but for me personally a JC standing in front of a huge audience and announcing to be completely commited to porting Doom 3 to the Xbox during his keynote is all the confimation I need...

As for the other arguments, the wording in the QuakeCon reports suggest IMHO that other console versions are being looked into, but that no decisions were made yet. There are also comments that PS2 coudn't handle the game without reduction of graphical features, but that's about all they mentioned.

So to sum it up, Doom 3 will with almost 100% certainty be ported to Xbox once the PC title is finished whoever tries to argue that has too much time on his hand. No other console was either confirmed or denied but there are strong hints that a PS2 version is unlikely at this point. I wouldn't call it an exclusive, but its pretty close at this point, more so than Splinter Cell ever was (in all fairness, there's no "Only on Xbox" logo on Splinter Cell anywhere AFAIK)... ;)

Gollum:

> Talk about picking the single most negative post from that conference
> when trying to proove your point cybamerc

What's negative about it?

CaptainHowdy:

> no I dont mind, because THERE IS ONE

"Press release"

Look it up.

> Everyone saying PS2 can handle it

Everyone? Quincy and Carmack... please. Besides, what's your point? I never claimed they wouldn't have to make sacrifices.

what do you mean whats my point?
you told me it was not confirmed for Xbox..
and there is your confirmation, it also confirms
the PS2 can not handle Doom 3 as is,and as I originally
stated, doom 3 can be done on the N64, doesnt mean it
will look anything like the PC/Xbox version..

CaptainHowdy:

> you told me it was not confirmed for Xbox..

I said it hadn't been formally announced. There is a difference.

> it also confirms the PS2 can not handle Doom 3 as is

Have I said otherwise?

BTW, all it confirms is that Carmack thinks PS2 can't handle it. How much PS2 development do you think he has done? Not that I disagree, but then again, I never claimed otherwise.

> as I originally stated, doom 3 can be done on the N64, doesnt mean it
> will look anything like the PC/Xbox version..

But what's the relevance?

Johnny Awesome:

> Quit making a fool out of yourself Cybamerc.

Fantastic contribution. Did mommy drop the big, bad Xbox on your head?

Run along now...

Boy are you making an ass out of yourself Cybamerc.

In every single event that he's presented DOOM III, including the original E3 launch, John Carmack has publically stated that he is bringing DOOM3 to Xbox. That's not something which Carmack just pulls out of his ass - if he says that at a major press conference such as E3 or QuakeCon, that means he has the full backing of all of id/Activision.

By the way, the Tim Willits quote you gave is followed by:
GameSpy: It sounds like a Halo 2 situation, where everyone assumes it's going to happen -- it's just a matter of when everything gets signed.

Tim Willits: Yeah.
That combined with John Carmack's "completely committed" comment means that the Xbox port of DOOM3 is not a possibility. It is a certainty. id and Activision decided long ago that there would definitely be an Xbox version of DOOM3. It's just that at the time of the Tim Willits interview, they hadn't signed everything on yet.

Arguing on whether the Xbox port has been "formally announced" is an absolutely stupid technicality. It's like trying to argue that the Bush administration isn't going to attack Iraq. Formally, they've said nothing about declaring war on Iraq. But their intentions are obvious and it's pointless to argue otherwise. DOOM3 for Xbox is the same thing.

Common people, read before you post. Cybamerc said:

And if we're going to get technical Doom III has never been formally announced for Xbox.

He didn't say it wasn't going to be released for XBox, he just said that if people are going to get picky about this Doom 3 has never been formally annonced for any console.

BTW, off topic. Am I the only one who can see Johnny rapidly degenerating into nothing but a two bit troll? It seems that barely a thread goes by without one of his 'quick whitted' and totally out of place jibes like for instance his latest work. Coming into a thread were people are actually discussing something and posting:

Quit making a fool out of yourself Cybamerc :rolleyes:

Wow, how insightful and constructive, and so worth posting. Not at all petty and sad or anything.

If anyone's making a fool out of themselves John its you.. and with increasing regularity.

Seriously, stop this crap Johnny

Back