SOOO, I have fooled around with my new PC...

Guden Oden

Legend
Experiences so far:

Very nice. Veeeerrrrry nice! The keyboard glows (multimedia buttons do anyway... :p), and there's a 2-port hub built into it where I stuck my old silly Bluetooth dongle just for kicks really.

WoW, being the first game I installed around 3AM today :)lol:) ran wonderfully slick and smooth compared to what I'm used to. With 4xAA and 1280 rez, I had 30+ fps pretty much all the time. No extra toolbars or any other mods installed tho, so the playing experience was fairly hampered by that. Anyway, I just meant to fool around a little.

The fans in it are all unobtrusive, inclusive the two extra exhausts I installed myself...EXCEPT the GF6800 when 3D-mode kicks in! It is anything BUT inobtrusive then, and the same is true for before the driver is loaded of course - RREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! Lucky me I have a copper Zalman laying here ready and waiting. It too is anything but quiet at 12V, but hopefully it's effective enough even at 5V to allow some modest overclocking. :)

What's the best tool for that anyway these days? I always used Rivatuner for stuff like this in the past, but that program is a bit unintuitive in some regards. *cough* *ahem* I just looked at Rivatuner again (it's like, familiar territory to me), and it seems it can unlock locked execution units. I haven't tried that yet as I want to check out 3DMark and stuff first to see what kind of score I get on this box. On my old, it's an abysmal 1010-something points, the CPU tests are particulary painful (sub-1 FPS). Btw, core temp even at idle is circus 60 degrees! OMG, heh! What's typical for GF6800s at idle?

It seems NV fan control is either MAX speed in 3D and LOW speed in 2D modes, ATi seems to be able to regulate fan speed gradually in either mode, or at least that seems to be the case if ATiTool is installed. I can't use that feature because my 9800Pro lacks the hardware monitor chip that's neccessary for that stuff. :( Anyway, hope NV improves this aspect in upcoming products.

It's nice I have a BTX case and a 6800 vidcard; that means both the cooler and all RAM chips will be facing UPWARDS in the case! No hot air trapped beneath the card! Very neat. Card is secured in 3 points by the way... First the metal bracket, then the latch down at the base of the PCIe connector, and thirdly a clamp extending down from the shroud over the heatsink. Very neat, and good for heavy vidcards during transport...

I must mention in passing that firewire networks COMPLETELY ROCK. OMG! :D I firewired some crap between my old box and new and OMG, I get 40+ megabytes per second transfer rates according to netstat live! :D Try THAT on goddamn 100Mbit ethernet... ;) First I tried the big patch for WoW, thinking that would be enough (it's about 40 megs actually). It transferred so quickly I just sort of blinked to myself and wondered what the hell just happened. Did I move it locally on the remote computer's harddrive or something? Then I chucked over most of the data files belonging to the game (several gigabytes in all I guess), it just screamed along. My old poor box ran up its CPU to 100%, I guess it's hard work for a poor old willy to create 40+ megs/sec of TCPIP packets. :D

Thus, if you have 2 computers and need to transfer some stuff in a hurry, firewire is your friend. Now I just have to get friggin remote desktop and internet sharing to work, got any eggheads here that's good with networking stuff on XP pro (main box) and home (old box)? I have some issues with the built-in firewall where it blocks azureus even though I put it on the exclusion list... (Yes, I know that firewall supposedly sucks, but what the hey.)

In order to set up a network between two computers you need to go into my network places and click on the "set up a home or small office network" link on the left side then folllow the instructions. Do it for both computers at roughly the same time. Also go into system properties and give each computer a name. In order to share folders or the entire drive right click on them and click on "sharing and security." Then click on share this folder, name it and choose whatever options you want. You'll then be able to access it from the other computer, at least you should if all goes well. It'll probably ask you for a password the first time you access it from the other computer in which case all you have to do is give it an account that has administration rights. You can do the same with your printer if you like, just install the drivers on both computers.

I've run the network guide on my new main box, but unfortunately after I've answered all its questions and it's been chewing and pondering for a while it aborts with a very informative message along the lines of, 'an error has occurred, please try again or perform the configuration manually'. Of course it won't say WHAT went wrong... *aims pistol at Bill Gates' head and squeezes trigger*

The guide ran fine on the other box, and I've been able to set up file sharing to work anyway, so maybe I don't need to faff around any more with those guides.

Now, how do I get remote desktop up and running? it's such a bother having to switch video input/mouse/keyboard all the time whenever I need to access the old box. I want to stick it out of the way somewhere where it won't make as much noise and not have any extra dust-collecting keyboards or mouses lying about...

OOH, and by the way. Where did the hardware level O/C tool go in rivatuner? Isn't it available for 6800 cards? I've used the driver level tool, but the memory slider for 2D mode and 3D mode(s) are connected! It moves also in 2D mode when I move the 3D mode slider. Annoying, looks like a bug to me. :? Anyone else noticed this?

For Remote assistance go to system properties and click on the remote tab then check the two tabs and set up permissions.

Once that's done press windows key+r and enter %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\rcimlby.exe -LaunchRA.

You should make both computers a member of the same workgroup (My computer -> properties) and use the same username / password on both. Then it'll work.

Congrats! Now take another look at HL2 with that machine with all bells&whistles. It might change your opinion about the game.

ANova said:
In order to set up a network between two computers you need to go into my network places and click on the "set up a home or small office network" link on the left side then folllow the instructions. Do it for both computers at roughly the same time. Also go into system properties and give each computer a name. In order to share folders or the entire drive right click on them and click on "sharing and security." Then click on share this folder, name it and choose whatever options you want. You'll then be able to access it from the other computer, at least you should if all goes well. It'll probably ask you for a password the first time you access it from the other computer in which case all you have to do is give it an account that has administration rights. You can do the same with your printer if you like, just install the drivers on both computers.
Would setting up an FTP server be a simpler and more secure method of file sharing, or am I comparing six of one to half a dozen of the other? I'm still wary of any Windows shares, tho I'm not sure how much more secure GuildFTP + password is.

(This is assuming both PCs are plugged into a router.)

Pete,
The new box goes into a router which branches out to my game consoles also (though these actually NEVER play online games, hah!) The old box connects to the new via firewire (blazing madman transfer speeds!), it doesn't even have access to the internet because I haven't managed to get internet sharing from the new to the old to work yet and I don't know how to fix it either. Stupid microsoft...

Pete said:
Would setting up an FTP server be a simpler and more secure method of file sharing, or am I comparing six of one to half a dozen of the other? I'm still wary of any Windows shares, tho I'm not sure how much more secure GuildFTP + password is.

(This is assuming both PCs are plugged into a router.)

You just have to make sure the RPC and NETBIOS ports (135-139) are closed to incoming traffic on the firewall. If you do that, it's safe. If you don't, everyone can do whatever they want.

Guden Oden said:
Pete,
The new box goes into a router which branches out to my game consoles also (though these actually NEVER play online games, hah!) The old box connects to the new via firewire (blazing madman transfer speeds!), it doesn't even have access to the internet because I haven't managed to get internet sharing from the new to the old to work yet and I don't know how to fix it either. Stupid microsoft...

For the internet connection, I would advise you to plug both computers into the router, turn off their firewalls and use the one on the router.

If you don't want that, you can turn on internet connection sharing on the advanced page of the properties of that network card. You should then use the settings-button to select the services you use (like http).

Thanks for the tips Guru. I could use the router of course, but it'd be (much) slower than firewire when transferring files, and thus, be no sport. :D

I tried enabling sharing the way you said, but it still refuses, complaining another network adapter is using the IP it needs. I guess that would be the router, as it sits at IP .1, but why windows needs to be such a hardass about using that particular address just because I want to share out the internet connection I don't understand. Guess I have to write that one up to Microsoft fuckheadedness as usual.

Speaking of fuckheadedness, why can't I share out the program files folder? Windows says it's because it's being used by the operating system, but that isn't true. The OS may use certain subfolders, but I should still be allowed to at least access my other folders, especially as they're both my own goddamn computers that I can do whatever the hell I want with. Is there some "I'm an idiot and don't know what I'm doing" switch squirreled away deep down somewhere in some config panel that can be disabled and give access to the program files, windows, etc folders that I'm not allowed to access (!) from across the network at the moment?

You can have multiple connections, if you use the firewire cable as well as an ethernet cable, the communication with the other computer _should_ take the fast firewire, while the internet connection uses the ethernet cable to the router.

While internet connection sharing does work, it is a pain in the ass to configure properly. That's why I advise you to use a second cable to the router, and use only the firewall on that router.

If you want to share the program files folder, share the whole C drive instead. There is actually a hidden share already, called C$ which gives you access to that drive, but I would recommend you to make a new share.

Have fun!

Yeah, you can get pretty insane with connections. I got two on Bubbles, the onboard NIC going to my router/DSL/family 'puters and a NIC I added going to my cable modem. :)

My sister just lent me a lil USB wireless network thingy I was going to add into it and see if I could pick anything up... ;)

DiGuru said:
the communication with the other computer _should_ take the fast firewire, while the internet connection uses the ethernet cable to the router.
I'll definitely try that! VERY good tip!

Now, if someone could just help me getting remote desktop going too I could really be in business. ;) I was hoping to just 2 wires going to the old box; power and firewire, but three would be alright too I guess - power, firewire, ethernet.

While internet connection sharing does work, it is a pain in the ass to configure properly.
Just for shits and giggles, you know how to set it up properly, step by step? :D I did get it to work once before between my old PC and an even older one running winme, but firewire networking was feckin' slow under winme, giving a tenth the speed I get now, if that much even.

If you want to share the program files folder, share the whole C drive instead.
I actually do that now, I know THAT much about networking that rights are supposed to be inherited down (or is ut up? :p) in the file tree. Except, windows is being a bitch and trip me up on purpose. :p

Thanks a lot for your help so far!

Guden Oden said:
Now, if someone could just help me getting remote desktop going too I could really be in business.

On the properties page of My Computer, there is a tab that allows you to invite others to connect to give help. You should make sure it is turned on. Then you go to the new computer, in the start menu, acessories, communication, there is the remote desktop connection. Select it, fill in the name of your other computer and you're connected.

Just for shits and giggles, you know how to set it up properly, step by step? :D I did get it to work once before between my old PC and an even older one running winme, but firewire networking was feckin' slow under winme, giving a tenth the speed I get now, if that much even.

Yes, but you have to make a list of the IP adresses, I use the Dutch version of Windows, so I don't know the exact names on the options, and I haven't got such a connection myself, so it is not easy to make a step-by-step guide.

Internet connection sharing is making a static route (bridge) between 2 adapters. The network connection wizard helps you make the bridge, but you have to know what IP adresses have to be routed how.

I actually do that now, I know THAT much about networking that rights are supposed to be inherited down (or is ut up? :p) in the file tree. Except, windows is being a bitch and trip me up on purpose. :p

Tell me about it. It's actually A LOT easier to configure most things under Linux. Just plain text files, not seek-and-pick throughout the system.

The problem is, that Microsoft disallows you anything it considers dangerous, with the result that a lot of people mess up the system anyway by configuring things only half before they are stuck...

Thanks a lot for your help so far!

Gladly :D

Back