Sony's Next Generation Portable unveiling - PSP2 in disguise

Vita was targeted at $249. 3DS is @ $169. Smartphones go for $199.

Please show me a link to an Smartphone with the same graphics capacity as the PS Vita which costs only $199. I think only the iPhone4 or one of the new Samsung phones at > $500 come close, or?

In the US, most smart phones are $199 with a 2-year contract.

Vita is being subsidized at $250 or 250 Euro. You end up paying for it with $50 games.

So, on topic... this thing is going to be a beast with stencil performance.

Also, I assume the CPU cores are clocked well below 1 GHz here. The clock speeds are obviously the one spec they can lock down late in the development process.

At one time, game platform designers tried to get out of the cost of hardware by licensing their designs to other manufacturers, resulting in Saturns, 3DOs, and Gamecubes by the likes of Panasonic and Hitachi. They then made those companies compete with their own standard versions of the consoles without sharing the subsidization from software royalties, so those companies of course couldn't compete on price. Just as the games platform business model one-upped the traditional CE manufacturers because of subsidizations, the monthly service fee subsidy allows mobile phones to take up-front pricing down even further... consumers largely didn't factor the extra cost they were paying in software back in the day when buying a console for cheap, and they don't factor the extra fee of the monthly contract now when buying a phone at such a value.

RudeCurve said:
My point is it's IRRELEVANT to the discussion so why do your type aways bring it up???

When people buy cars they don't add up the cost of gas for the life of car ownership....it's STUPID and IRRELEVANT.

Going by your logic the real cost of my smartphone ends up costing tens of thousands of dollars if I stay with ATT for the rest of my life? Do you know how stupid that sounds? I guess that means my cable box costs thousands of dollars too...and my toothbrush cost $100...

Oh and the real cost of my socks and underwear aren't really just a few dollars because in actuality they total hundreds of dollars because of all the water and detergent needed to clean them...
No, you really don't get it. I agree with much of what you said. All of your ranting has been against strawmen who, as far as I can tell, are figments of your imagination. By all means keep making an ass out of yourself though...

So, on topic... this thing is going to be a beast with stencil performance.

Also, I assume the CPU cores are clocked well below 1 GHz here. The clock speeds are obviously the one spec they can lock down late in the development process.

At one time, game platform designers tried to get out of the cost of hardware by licensing their designs to other manufacturers, resulting in Saturns, 3DOs, and Gamecubes by the likes of Panasonic and Hitachi. They then made those companies compete with their own standard versions of the consoles without sharing the subsidization from software royalties, so those companies of course couldn't compete on price. Just as the games platform business model one-upped the traditional CE manufacturers because of subsidizations, the monthly service fee subsidy allows mobile phones to take up-front pricing down even further... consumers largely didn't factor the extra cost they were paying in software back in the day when buying a console for cheap, and they don't factor the extra fee of the monthly contract now when buying a phone at such a value.

The Saturn and GC examples don't count. Those were special one off deals, and the GC one only came about because Panasonic made the GC disc drive.

1 month ago I replaced my old phone for a new one. Samsung Galaxy S 2. At the moment "the best Android phone!

I tried to play Zenonia 3 on it, but ... URGH, touch control are really clumsy compared to PSP. I just cannot feel comfortable with touch controls. Not to mention that you obstruct the screen with your own fingers. Not by much but it is still rather annoying.

For Angry Birds it's not a problem, but if a game has more complex UI and requires constant button pushing I vastly prefer DS / PSP as an game device than my phone!

That's about the amount I would expect for the price.

System RAM doesn't have to be so high-end considering the VRAM. Looks like a good design and a good value.

I figured it'd go without saying that the GPU will likely have sufficient access to the main RAM, but just in case...

Showpiece title from Gamescom, Uncharted: Golen Abyss --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zqyRuLHPCo

Discussion about the game itself should be directed to the Console Gaming sub-forum, of course, but it looks like the healthy amount of RAM combined with PVRTC, among other GPU strengths, really helps to bridge the gap to home console visuals.

That footage stokes my craving for some Indiana Jones... my Indiana jones, I suppose.

http://www.1up.com/news/vita-ram-wasnt-downgraded-reach-24999-price

Vita's RAM Wasn't Downgraded to Reach $249.99 Price
Reports that the Vita's RAM was cut in half have been proven false.

By Chris Pereira, 08/16/2011
Share it:

Just prior to the Vita being named and priced at E3, a report circulated suggesting that the system's RAM had been halved, getting cut down from 512MB to 256MB. This was supposedly in order to make it possible to sell the system at a price between $250 and $300 for the low-end model. When a $249.99 price was announced at E3, this was generally accepted to be true -- but that's not the case, as we learned today.
Sony issued a press release today talking about Vita's social media support -- namely, it will support Foursquare along with Facebook, Twitter, and Skype. It also lists many of Vita's internal specs, including the fact that Vita sports 512MB of RAM along with 128MB of dedicated VRAM.

That should help put to rest any fears that the system had been compromised in order to be sold for $249.99. The original PlayStation Portable, by contrast, had only 32MB of RAM, while later revisions doubled that to 64MB.

An exact release date for Vita has yet to be announced. It's coming this year in Japan, followed by sometime during early 2012 in both North America and Europe.

http://onq-world.blogspot.com/

I found a PDF lastnight from Develop in Brighton keynote that happen July 19 -21 2011 lots of info on Vita

I'll post a few of the slides here

PSVitaCodingKeynote%25282%2529.jpg

PSVitaCodingKeynote%25283%2529.jpg

PSVitaCodingKeynote%25284%2529.jpg

PSVitaCodingKeynote%25287%2529.jpg

It's probably just me but I couldn't find anything in that presentation or in the slides above that wasn't known until now.

The only new bit of information I can find in there is this quote:
• Textures can be fetched ahead of time
• Before the shader runs
So it can do texture operations right after interpolation (rather than during the shader itself) if it's not a dependent texture operation. That's a good way to improve latency tolerance in the common case, although given the relatively low number of threads and the apparent focus on optimising non-dependent texture operations, I wonder how well SGX would run a 'back-to-back dependent texturing' corner case shader. Not that it matters much in reality.

Does anyone know, how does the hardware in the PSV matchup to SoC's like Kal-El/Tegra 3?

Disregarding the low level API advantage of the PSV. Which is the more powerful of the two?

Does anyone know, how does the hardware in the PSV matchup to SoC's like Kal-El/Tegra 3?
Disregarding the low level API advantage of the PSV. Which is the more powerful of the two?

Tegra3 will be obviously clocked higher both on the CPU as on the GPU side compared to PS Vita's SoC, but since NV is counting vector lanes as "cores" and the Tegra3 GPU has 12 "cores" the SGX543MP4+ in the PS Vita has over 64 "cores" for the GPU alone. With a factor 3x for the GPU of PS Vita you'd still be on the safe side.

Back