Sony's New Motion Controller

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
I'm creating a thread for the technical aspects of the new motion controller that Sony presented. I will collect all reliable technical data in this first post, and we can add or discuss/change/remove that info in the thread, and discuss what kind of things the technology can or cannot do. Other discussions belong in other threads.

From the (very clearly not final design ;) ) patent (credit to Wollan/Neogaf) as it already looks different, but technology wise it's interesting:
sony_motion-sensitive_controller_pa.jpg

SDK status:
AiLive – company which co-developed the Wii MotionPlus together with Nintendo – will make its LiveMove 2 motion recognition software available for free to all licensed PS3 developers thanks to a new deal with Sony Computer Entertainment.

Developers can 'train' the software to understand key gestures, which can then be accurately recognised when performed by players, taking the burden of motion interpretation away from game teams.
- http://www.developmag.com/news/32075/Sony-adds-LiveMove-2-to-PS3-SDK

Links:
- Similar Neogaf thread by Wollan: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363784
- Visual demonstration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th8_zKa0DKk
- (Interesting Curiosity) Sony's possible answer to the NR controller (2005): http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=23672 Note the screenshot it contains of something that Microsoft demonstrated in a much flashier form.

This seems to be VERY well suited for gaming in a complex control environment. The responsiveness and accuracy seems to be unmatched.

Bleh, didn't notice the date on the article...

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't escape the feeling that it's design is more an exercise of trying to accomplish something within a very restrictive patent landscape than something which makes engineering sense.

PS. which is not to say it doesn't work well.

Last edited by a moderator:
This seems to be VERY well suited for gaming in a complex control environment. The responsiveness and accuracy seems to be unmatched.

Well I agree with this. I don't think the speed and precision can be matched by anything else at the moment. I think this can be really great for Sony if they can get it out to the market before Microsoft gets its camera to the market, but we'll see - they don't have the best of reputations for being quick, but this is really, really going to help, I can't stress that enough:

AiLive – company which co-developed the Wii MotionPlus together with Nintendo – will make its LiveMove 2 motion recognition software available for free to all licensed PS3 developers thanks to a new deal with Sony Computer Entertainment.

I think the fact that Microsoft brought technology to the table that Sony themselves didn't think they could pull off soon enough and precise enough right now makes Sony's tech look simplistic and 'me too' versus the Wii-Mote. While again I agree that Microsoft's technology is exciting, I currently look forward to playing with Sony's tech a lot more as the chance that it will have big and compelling games for it at launch seems significantly larger with developers being able to leverage their R&D for WiiMotionPlus. Also the incredible precision will make it more suitable to competitive and more hardcore playstyles than games have before.

Resistance 3 must use this controller!.

One thing more: how could you hold the controller to play as a wheel without hidding the colour ball ?. I supposse the final design will be as another drawing ( in a patent ? ) i saw similar to two pieces similar to half dual shock stuck together, is the only way i see possible to play with it like a wheel.

In reality, ease of use is not an exclusive casual need. A bare hand user interface should be useful for core gamers too.

What interest me is: With a mobile console, an ultrasonic controller may have another hidden use in the future -- The great outdoor. I don't know what's possible yet. No time to think. But I am not a slave to my TV, PSP screen or huge sensor bars (I may have a name though: Eye Picnic).

Oh... and that drawing-comes-alive thing. I think it's very imaginative: Not tied to rigid motion sensing school of thought.

Resistance 3 must use this controller!.

One thing more: how could you hold the controller to play as a wheel without hidding the colour ball ?. I supposse the final design will be as another drawing ( in a patent ? ) i saw similar to two pieces similar to half dual shock stuck together, is the only way i see possible to play with it like a wheel.

Why would you want to use it like a wheel? Just use a Dual Shock 3!

You actually don't need the color ball to be even visible while using it as a wheel as the tilt sensors are mostly enough. The sixaxis is basically probably already good enough for that type of control, but this will be better and more precise. It's interesting to think about how you would use this for a driving game though. I think you'd hold two of them upright in your hand so that you can use one hand's buttons for braking and accellerating, and the other's for shifting, for instance.

Maybe with a bit of thinking through you could make the controllers simulate hands that you clasp onto the wheel by pressing a button, and that you can move towards a shift stick.

A flight sim on the other hand is very easy to imagine, including choppers :D - I'd love a chopper game with the two controllers :D

@Brad: both the sixaxis and a real wheel controller are 100x more intuitive for driving than the thumbsticks or d-pad. I've tested this extensively. The fact that us hardcore gamers are well enough trained to use a DS3 for this doesn't change that.

Well I agree with this. I don't think the speed and precision can be matched by anything else at the moment. I think this can be really great for Sony if they can get it out to the market before Microsoft gets its camera to the market, but we'll see - they don't have the best of reputations for being quick...
The really worrying part for me is that the E3'09 showing is the same tech as the YouTube vid from '07. It seems unprogressed in 2 years! Why don't they have some actual game WIPs to show? It looks like Sony have been sitting on this RnD tech for years, and I have little hope that they have real products in the work. I'm sure this week there'll be SDKs going out to first party studios with orders 'do something amazing with this!' but Sony should be in far stronger software position. Not only should be, but should be demonstrating it with more than cheap, ancient demos. With all the time they've had, this E3 they should have had some real games (Resistance 2 patched), head tracking, etc. The fact they haven't can only really mean they haven't been working on it.

Yeah, I love Sony's emphasis on hardcore gaming with their motion control scheme. Let MS and Nintendo chase grandmas with their products. Sony seems poised to create games for ME!

The beautiful thing is that the same controller that works well for many types of games (I like the idea of putting analog triggers on each "Wand") can also work very well for more casual games.

The really worrying part for me is that the E3'09 showing is the same tech as the YouTube vid from '07. It seems unprogressed in 2 years! Why don't they have some actual game WIPs to show? It looks like Sony have been sitting on this RnD tech for years, and I have little hope that they have real products in the work. I'm sure this week there'll be SDKs going out to first party studios with orders 'do something amazing with this!' but Sony should be in far stronger software position. Not only should be, but should be demonstrating it with more than cheap, ancient demos. With all the time they've had, this E3 they should have had some real games (Resistance 2 patched), head tracking, etc. The fact they haven't can only really mean they haven't been working on it.

Tech has been refined HW wise and the SW part is not easy to do either.

The SW part is getting some help, devs wise, though:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23892

(same company that co-developed motion sensing software with Nintendo for the Wii Remote and Wii Motion+)

I'll be honest and say I'm not sold on this.
I'll sum up my thoughts, (this is going to be almost completely negative so fair warning...)

Disclosure:
Having worked a lot with augmented reality in the past, I've become accustomed to the initial wow factor of these sort of technologies and I guess I instinctivly look past that.

The demo was slick, and importantly had humor, which always helps sell a system.
The system is very accurate given the cost (at least in positional tracking - it still seems to have accuracy and lag issues with rotation and direction)

However,
Having used similar setups in the past these things are often much less useful than they appear.
The 'building blocks' is perhaps the best example. The accuracy was very good, but the body simply isn't used to the lack of physical sensation in a system like this (especially when placing objects). I haven't seen a system like this where there isn't a more accurate conventional alternative. He was right that it's a very tough challenge - but that's not due to accuracy, it's due to how the brain expect things to react in the hand. Unless you get a full haptic system it just isn't that practical.
Basically, it's not so much a limitation of the tech it's a limitation of the application.
The big issues is these sorts of systems tire the body *amazingly* quickly due to the confused state the brain gets in due to lack of feedback, and the result is very tense muscles and jittery reactions. High accuracy tasks like this are *very* hard to keep doing for even a modest length of time.

Moving on...

The bow and arrow demo was impressive. The directional accuracy was quite noticeably better here, (I'd expect due to using the two points of reference instead the systems motion trackers). However when they were close together you could see the system losing accuracy and when aiming the system seemed to lose sight of the rear tracker (his aim went all over the place even though he wasn't moving in the video). This is just a physical limitation however it's still interesting to note.

From what I can tell from patents, the system will be using sound waves to measure distance. I know a Phd student who did his doctorate on exactly this, and while this type of technology is *exceedingly* accurate (this will be where the sub-mm claim came from) it *does* have limitations and appears it's only being used for distance (you need triangulation otherwise).
The distance will be being calculated by change in phase of the received signal (given the camera has a mic).
The trouble comes from rapid changes in movement (if you aren't sampling high enough you can momentarily lose accuracy) but far more significant are echoes. Large flat surfaces (walls!) and sometimes occlusion of the emitter (the remote) can make processing the audio much harder.

My final thought is also rather depressing. The PS3 already has two motion control options (sixaxis and eyetoy) yet these have seen very poor adoption. While this system is clearly more accurate than either, it's also the most expensive and, importantly, the least complimentary to existing control methods.
I worry the competition has far better incentive for developers to take advantage of their technology.

So I was thinking about how this could replace the DS3, and I thought of something we're all familiar with.

This would be the left hand controller, but wireless and 1:1 (with the lit ball on the very top), with L1, L2 and left analogue built in (and rumble). The right hand controller would be identical but with the face buttons instead of the analogue stick.

Finally, a bracket with a d-pad, right analogue stick, select and start buttons, to which the left and right controllers attach to, turning the whole thing into a conventional gamepad. So you can put it together, in which case it takes a similar form to a DS3 (but with added ping pong balls), or you can take it apart in which case you get a nunchuk in each hand and the bracket is not used.

I'm not at Photoshop right now to put together an image of what I'm getting at.

My final thought is also rather depressing. The PS3 already has two motion control options (sixaxis and eyetoy) yet these have seen very poor adoption. While this system is clearly more accurate than either, it's also the most expensive and, importantly, the least complimentary to existing control methods.
I worry the competition has far better incentive for developers to take advantage of their technology.

Maybe the lack of adoption is down to their poor accuracy, certainly I own a Wii but wouldn't play a 'serious' game on it due to my inconsistent experiences with the Wiimote?

The good news is that the PS3 control system should be 'compatible' with what Wiimotionplus is using - so therefore (IMHO) there's little extra effort required to implement the controls in a game that will also come out on Wii. Also I suspect the controllers will work with standard or 'wand' games/setups - so this has a dual use and is a true 'replacement' rather than additional controller.

On a slightly seperate note - and not wishing to degrade the thread - there's lots of comparisons between both Nintys and Sonys solution - is there a technical 'like for like' checklist of some sort so we can compare their abilites? For example, do we know much about the difference in accuracy, lag and lighting conditions (as well as line-of-site requirements)...these are the sort of things that might help people for me conclude if this something to get excited about, or something to forget about and stick with DS3.

So I was thinking about how this could replace the DS3, and I thought of something we're all familiar with.

This would be the left hand controller, but wireless and 1:1 (with the lit ball on the very top), with L1, L2 and left analogue built in (and rumble). The right hand controller would be identical but with the face buttons instead of the analogue stick.

Finally, a bracket with a d-pad, right analogue stick, select and start buttons, to which the left and right controllers attach to, turning the whole thing into a conventional gamepad. So you can put it together, in which case it takes a similar form to a DS3 (but with added ping pong balls), or you can take it apart in which case you get a nunchuk in each hand and the bracket is not used.

yup - this is exactly my thoughts...good stuff :)

Interesting thoughts Graham.

The demo was slick, and importantly had humor, which always helps sell a system.
The system is very accurate given the cost (at least in positional tracking - it still seems to have accuracy and lag issues with rotation and direction)

I didn't quite see issues with rotation and direction, but that's certainly possible. It's not clear however what technology each of the demoes used. It appears to me that there are a number of technologies implemented here that partially overlap (e.g. color recognition, gyroscopes, and sound waves). Some of these may be able to assist each other to catch out weaknesses. As for the triangulation, I'm not sure if the fact that at least the patent suggests that the two controllers seem to als be able to communicate / sense each other somehow can add to this. And of course the microphone array in the PS Eye consists of 4 microphones, which may help there too (as well as with echo cancellation?)

The 'building blocks' is perhaps the best example. The accuracy was very good, but the body simply isn't used to the lack of physical sensation in a system like this (especially when placing objects).

True, and another problem here is 3d perception. I was going to mention earlier that these new technologies are going to create a greater appeal for 3D display technologies. Head camera tracking in the way that we've seen demos on using the Wii-Mote and PS Eye may help there perhaps, but I'm not sure this is very easy to pull off in a 3D engine. I did think it was interesting that the Killzone 2 loading screen that reacts to sixaxis movement looked a lot like these demos.

I haven't seen a system like this where there isn't a more accurate conventional alternative. He was right that it's a very tough challenge - but that's not due to accuracy, it's due to how the brain expect things to react in the hand. Unless you get a full haptic system it just isn't that practical.
Basically, it's not so much a limitation of the tech it's a limitation of the application.

I do hope it has some kind of vibration built in, but I don't know if/how that could interfere. A slight rumble when you put down a block could really help.

However, more than any of these, software should be able to help deal with these issues. Think about the Little Big Planet editor which has managed to make creating stuff using analog sticks and such quite convenient, even if you'd have thought a mouse would have been much better. Reality is a cool thing to strive for, but even if you didn't have any of the technological weakness we are discussing today, reality can always be improved upon in terms of useability.

The bow and arrow demo was impressive. The directional accuracy was quite noticeably better here, (I'd expect due to using the two points of reference instead the systems motion trackers). However when they were close together you could see the system losing accuracy and when aiming the system seemed to lose sight of the rear tracker (his aim went all over the place even though he wasn't moving in the video). This is just a physical limitation however it's still interesting to note.

I'm not sure the distance was the main factor there. They created a complicated method of changing the focus depending on how the tension was put onto the bow and I think I also noticed simulation of the force being created which makes tiny movements left and right become more intense the more tension you put on the string, but I'm not sure.

The trouble comes from rapid changes in movement (if you aren't sampling high enough you can momentarily lose accuracy) but far more significant are echoes. Large flat surfaces (walls!) and sometimes occlusion of the emitter (the remote) can make processing the audio much harder.

Again, it will be interesting to see how they are using the other properties of the device to compensate, as well as the array of microphones in the camera (which in theory could help for detecting and cancelling echo?)

Actually adoption of sixaxis isn't even that poor. But for both PS Eye and sixaxis, they had too much limitations. The new controller overcomes all of their individual limitations and contains all the best qualities of both as well.

I disagree with this simply because of the AiLive cooperation. Most of the motion stuff that you can do for WiiMotionPlus on the Wii will be able to translate pretty much as-is to the PS3. Microsoft is in a difficult position in that the Wii has a very strong casual base and a strong history of motion control that the PS3 can benefit from, and the Playstation brand has much more roots in the casual space as well, even if pricing currently limits its acceptance. Microsoft owners currently are still a relatively hardcore crowd (just look at how many concurrent Modern Warfare 2 and Halo 3 players there are!), so it will really have to reach a new audience with new brands. It will be much easier initially to sell the motion technology to hardcore people initially and I think Microsoft should not forget to target those as well - get the tech accepted by the hardcore crowd, as they will have friends and family who are 'softcore' and can spread the word.

The position of the PS3's motion controller combined with the WiiMotionPlus controller could be very much like how the PS3, 360 and PC form a 'HD market' versus the Wii/PSP/PS2 'SD market', if you see what I mean. For the PS3 developers like EA and Sega will simply be able to put the WiiMotionPlus controls into their next release of their tennis and golf games, and since the libraries for WiiMotionPlus and PS3 will be near identical, being developed by the same company (Ailive) it's really practically copy/paste.

Of course Microsoft could attempt to find a way to make its technology behave very similar through its own libraries, so we don't know yet how that will pan out.

This photoshop is kind of old:
dual-shock-3-split.jpg

I disagree with this simply because of the AiLive cooperation. Most of the motion stuff that you can do for WiiMotionPlus on the Wii will be able to translate pretty much as-is to the PS3. Microsoft is in a difficult position in that the Wii has a very strong casual base and a strong history of motion control that the PS3 can benefit from, and the Playstation brand has much more roots in the casual space as well, even if pricing currently limits its acceptance. Microsoft owners currently are still a relatively hardcore crowd (just look at how many concurrent Modern Warfare 2 and Halo 3 players there are!), so it will really have to reach a new audience with new brands. It will be much easier initially to sell the motion technology to hardcore people initially and I think Microsoft should not forget to target those as well - get the tech accepted by the hardcore crowd, as they will have friends and family who are 'softcore' and can spread the word.

I actually think Microsoft are in the best position of the two. I'd be glad to explain why but that would go well off topic :)

I'm having a hell of a time summing up the way I feel on this.
It's like I could list a few pages of niggles, concerns, hypotheticals, issues and the like - but no matter what it just feels petty.

I guess what I will say is that in order to succeed in this game, you need to take risks. People respond to things that are new and innovative. For me, this system lacks that spark of imagination. As technically proficient as it is, I just don't see the market responding to it.

Hey I definitely think Microsoft's technology will become extremely successful, is the future, and is very cool! The question is how long will it take before it's really there? Natal seems to have changed Microsoft's perspective on the life-cycle of the 360 - they now think it will last until 2015, and so either they are going to adopt the Sony model and release a new console in 2011 while supporting the 360 until 2015, or they'll focus on Live and Natal and make all progress in software only. I think considering the state of the world the latter is very likely, and I don't see Sony coming up with a new console soon either, focussing on software instead as well. Then around 2015 Microsoft and Sony will probably come up with some kind of 3D display technology instead. ;)

It may well be that Microsoft will have a huge advantage by the time the next generation comes because they have more experience with the controller-less approach, scanning in 3d objects and all sorts of similar stuff, and/or have bought all the relevant patents preventing the other two from doing anything similar ;). They could end up having a similar advantage to having had Live for the original Xbox and being able to (near) perfect it for the 360.

But right now there's just no telling where things will go!

Back