Sony's Gamers Day 2007

deepbrown

Veteran
Hello all. Is the date for Sony's Gamers Day public knowledge? I know it's soon, but I can't for the love of Hades find it anywhere. Maybe it's already happened! Date anyone?

Hello all. Is the date for Sony's Gamers Day public knowledge? I know it's soon, but I can't for the love of Hades find it anywhere. Maybe it's already happened! Date anyone?
I found this from a story dated yesterday, 5/7/2007:
NextGen - Concerning PS3 sales Sebastian added, “We continue to believe that a significant pre-holiday ramp in PS3 unit sales is unlikely without a more robust title lineup and/or a hardware price cut.â€￾ With Sony set to host a Gamers Day event next week in San Diego, Sebastian predicted that the firm would utilize the opportunity to unveil its PS3 and PSP release schedule for the second half of 2007, as well as providing further insight into its online strategy and revealing more details about the launch of Home.
So apparently sometime next week in San Diego.

-aldo

Reactions: one
http://www.google.com/translate?u=h...-s-day-2007.html&langpair=fr|en&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Sony Gamer' S Day 2007 will take place the next week with San Diego. Sony Computer Entertainment America will benefit from the event to reveal its next plays PlayStation 3, Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction, Uncharted Drake' S Fortune, Lair, Eye of Judgment, Warhawk or Heavenly Sword to quote only them. In addition, the last titles of PlayStation 2 and the future bombs of the PSP (God of War at the head) should also be festival. Let us hope that some very good surprises are also with the menu.

http://www.google.com/translate?u=h...-s-day-2007.html&langpair=fr|en&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Sony Gamer' S Day 2007 will take place the next week with San Diego. Sony Computer Entertainment America will benefit from the event to reveal its next plays PlayStation 3, Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction, Uncharted Drake' S Fortune, Lair, Eye of Judgment, Warhawk or Heavenly Sword to quote only them. In addition, the last titles of PlayStation 2 and the future bombs of the PSP (God of War at the head) should also be festival. Let us hope that some very good surprises are also with the menu.

:D

I don't get this. The "new" E3 is in July, why have this media blowout next week then? If I were Sony I would save the big guns like Heavenly Sword, Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank Furure for E3.

I don't get this. The "new" E3 is in July, why have this media blowout next week then? If I were Sony I would save the big guns like Heavenly Sword, Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank Furure for E3.

First of all, if you're releasing your games in Q3, July is pretty close to actively promote your games. Ideally you want to build up buzz over a longer time period in order to let your [strike]gospel[/strike] PR spread and reach a broader audience. Moreover, nobody really knows what to expect of the "new" E3, I expect most publishers to be a bit uneasy at least. Part of the reinvention of the show was to refocus it on development and to free it from the grip of PR and media buzz. So I am pretty sure nobody in their right mind would just bet their entire money on the unknown underdog.

Moreover, nobody really knows what to expect of the "new" E3, I expect most publishers to be a bit uneasy at least.
We know a little bit...

The number of publishers and developers set to attend this July’s E3 Media & Business Summit currently stands at just 32 compared to last year’s expo which hosted over 400. - 23rd April, 2007
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5321&Itemid=46

It's not likely to attract the media rush of previous E3s. And as mentioed regards E3, media coverage in the internet age is very different. You can send out demos and movies, so journalists don't need to attend events to see the wares. Unless you're showing new hardware, you can leave the internet to do your promotion. Supply a few demos, let a few key sites cover the games and event, the forums reproduce the info, and other sites fish the internet and regurgitate the same stories, rumours and misunderstandings, without having to pay for staff to fly to Santa Monica.

Still, Sony has at least implied that E3 will be a reasonably big event for them still, by indicating that's where KZ2 will be revealed, for example.

I think Gamer's Day might serve a slightly similar role that GDC did for them last year. I think you'll see games previewed with a greater or lesser focus depending on when they're due to hit. For example, I'd expect something like Lair or Warhawk (i.e. summer or early Fall titles) to receive bigger attention, and games like Uncharted (i.e. late Fall/Winter titles) to have less focus. The latter will probably see the big focus at E3, alongside everything else.

Still, Sony has at least implied that E3 will be a reasonably big event for them still, by indicating that's where KZ2 will be revealed, for example.
Sure. E3 still has some worth. It's just not 'the one and only show to show everything' as it once was, explaining why Mr. Domino's confusion isn't warranted. There's no more all-eggs-in-one-basket extravangza where you aim to show everything and make your console look the biggest and baddest and win all those daft 'best of show' awards. Instead these companies get to manage PR across multiple events.

Oh and people that quote is definately getting your hopes up! One Playthree don't know what's going to be at Sony Gamer's Day, and two it's a bad translation. I think it's saying we might see these PS3 games, one or some of them - but we might not guys :)

Yeah E3 isn;t really needed....all these events happening at the moment is the way it should be. Can't wait to see the Final Fantasy XIII trailers from the SE event :)

E3 is more important than ever, but only for big companies.

Seriously, is EA, Sony, MS, Nintendo, Ubisoft or whoever else think they can ignore E3 they are out of their minds. They are all afraid of spending too much money in such a competitive event, but at the same time it means some will hold back on their spending. It's the perfect time to reveal your best because like it or not it will still be about who "won" E3 and there is just THAT much more focus on E3 than any other events. There will be more attention given to their games than ever because there will be less distractions.

Any company who decided to basically pass on this E3 are screwed, they will have missed their chance.

My guess is Sony, unless they make some royal mistake, will come out on top because they are the ones that have the most to show yet (especially their first party and "current" exclusives, plus PSP GoW, etc) and they know very well how important E3 will be this year for them (moreso than last year). MS has Halo 3 but everything else we already know about, and I doubt Nintendo has a surprise or much to show other than what we've seen a plenty of.

After Sony I'd expect EA and Ubisoft to do pretty well, especially if the later has more of that Assassin and Splinter Cell goodness to show:)

New uncharted info

You run around adventure style normally but you don't have a jump button as normal but it's contextually activated just like in Zelda as in when you run off a ledge the hero jumps. When you are airborne the camera finds a cinematic view showing the hero flailing his arms..etc.
The combat system is like gears in that you take a lot of cover with blind fire and whatnot. What it does extra is that you can actually climb around and stuff during combat to reach high ground for your advantage. Melee combat is a larger aspect with a variety of close combat attacks. You're also able to shoot while running around or even straight from a jump.
Everything you do will not look the same twice with the animation system continuesly changing stands and whatnot and every situation is reflected in the main characters facial expression.

Naughty Dog are aiming for the illusion that you never see Drake do the same thing twice and this can be achieved by a very unique feature of their engine: of the hundreds of animations, many of them can be layered on top of one another. These moment to moment combinations are possible by farming them out to the PS3's SPUs, allowing Drake to display any number of poses, emotions, and movements all at once.

For instance, picture Drake sprinting across a wide-open area to reach cover. His running is combined with frantic dunking and dodging as bullets begin to fly from a near cliff face, He's been running for a long-time so his frame is visibly shaking from hard breathing. Simultaneously he's frantically reloading his rifle so he can fire back. To top this off, his face wears a combined expression of fear and determination.

On top of the characters' clothing and faces, Naughty Dog have overlaid a wrinkle map that might best be described as a reactionary texture to the shifts in the normal map that lies beneath it. In essence, as the joints in the face or body move into new positions, the wrinkle map responds to create startling realism in both flesh and cloth.

An array of complex shaders dictate the way light interacts with objects, including some amazing sub-surface lighting, such as the diffused light of a torch behind the skin of a hand, or sunshine shining both through and around a thin leaf on a tree.

With the power of the PS3, the team can create moveable joints on objects like tree-branches, so that wind shakes them individually, casting shadows on the ground.

Furthermore, with the aid of HDR lighting, your character's eye must adjust to drastic shifts in brightness. This means that if you make Drake stare at the sun for several seconds and then turn down and look into a cave, your ability as a player to see clearly will emulate his iris' dilation into the darker environment.

My guess is Sony, unless they make some royal mistake, will come out on top because they are the ones that have the most to show yet (especially their first party and "current" exclusives, plus PSP GoW, etc) and they know very well how important E3 will be this year for them (moreso than last year). MS has Halo 3 but everything else we already know about, and I doubt Nintendo has a surprise or much to show other than what we've seen a plenty of.

Not to judge, but, it sounds like a typical biased statement.

MS has only Halo 3 and everything else we know about? is that so? well, please tell me about Bioshock, Alan Wake, Halo Wars, Splinter Cell 5, Fable 2, Mass Effect, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Huxley, Too Human, Banjo Kazooie, PGR4.... you want me to keep going?

Same goes to Nintendo. I think its ignorant to think that MS and Nintendo doesnt have much to show @ E3 while Sony will have a massive blowout and steal the show.

Its also ignorant to say "we" know just about everything MS and Nin has to offer, while Sony is hiding a bag full of tricks. Tsk tsk tsk :rolleyes:

Im not aiming to rant or flame(...mods? ;) ), its just im sick of bs statements like this. I know you meant that in a good way, all im saying is look through a different perspective sometime, will ya? :D

Not to judge, but, it sounds like a typical biased statement.

MS has only Halo 3 and everything else we know about? is that so? well, please tell me about Bioshock, Alan Wake, Halo Wars, Splinter Cell 5, Fable 2, Mass Effect, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Huxley, Too Human, Banjo Kazooie, PGR4.... you want me to keep going?

Same goes to Nintendo. I think its ignorant to think that MS and Nintendo doesnt have much to show @ E3 while Sony will have a massive blowout and steal the show.

Its also ignorant to say "we" know just about everything MS and Nin has to offer, while Sony is hiding a bag full of tricks. Tsk tsk tsk :rolleyes:

Im not aiming to rant or flame(...mods? ;) ), its just im sick of bs statements like this. I know you meant that in a good way, all im saying is look through a different perspective sometime, will ya? :D
Could you predict in advance what Sony showed at GDC 2007? That's his hunch, and you are no less biased than him.

Could you predict in advance what Sony showed at GDC 2007? That's his hunch, and you are no less biased than him.
At last E3 they were also the ones to crush the competition... Yet the bad impression they left has impact even today. It's really hard (or even impossible) to predict who will "win" E3 (sorry, E for All).

At last E3 they were also the ones to crush the competition... Yet the bad impression they left has impact even today. It's really hard (or even impossible) to predict who will "win" E3 (sorry, E for All).
At the next E3 they won't announce a new more expensive price, I assure you!

Back