Sony's content platform and business strategy *spawn

I think Sony needs to come up with a better solution to recover long-term. They've wasted too much time trying to protect their assets from piracy through rigid hardware protection that makes it difficult for average users to comprehend on the Vita as a mobile device. Instead they should focus on making the plethora services and content they have as flexible as possible.

That's something they should aspire to accomplish on all devices going forward. I may not be a PC gamer, but I appreciate what Steam is doing as a service (low pricing, allowing users to gift games to one another). I would love to see Sony take some similar approaches to the digital forefront before anyone else attempts something better. PS Plus is proof they could be on the right track.

I hope that in general we see improvements on consumer's rights in the digital space, but I feel that'll only happen when government interference takes place or some other competition implements those measures (Steam or some other service) to inspire such options.

With a name like brit you'd think you'd know America doesn't equal the world.

Tue original source is not very credible. Imo it's very unlikely that Sony would have already overtaken 360 or that they had shipped 77M LTD in December. They announced 70M in November, well in to the quarter. Not likely that they got another 7M after that.

Tue original source is not very credible. Imo it's very unlikely that Sony would have already overtaken 360 or that they had shipped 77M LTD in December. They announced 70M in November, well in to the quarter. Not likely that they got another 7M after that.

The original source (IDC) is fairly reputable, but they are still doing an estimate based on their projections and the market data that is available to them.

They may not be as trustworth or accurate as NPD, but they are much closer to NPD than they are to VGAchartz. :p

Either way, we'll know for sure when/if Microsoft and Sony release official numbers. If either of them don't then it likely indicates their sales were lower than they'd have liked them to be.

Regards,
SB

The original source (IDC) is fairly reputable, but they are still doing an estimate based on their projections and the market data that is available to them.

They may not be as trustworth or accurate as NPD, but they are much closer to NPD than they are to VGAchartz. :p

Either way, we'll know for sure when/if Microsoft and Sony release official numbers. If either of them don't then it likely indicates their sales were lower than they'd have liked them to be.

Regards,
SB

The problem is Sony no longer separates their PS3 and PS2 shipments in their financial reports. They stopped doing it a little while ago. Similarly they started grouping PSP and Vita sales together, possibly hiding low Vita sales? They did come out in November and stated the 70M though.

The IDC report garnered a lot of attention, which I'm sure pleases them. I have very limited trust in their console predictions and I just don't see the numbers adding up. Does anyone think Sony just had their best PS3 Q4 ever by far? They said they've shipped 70M a month into the quarter and got another 7M on top. This is imo impossible. Their best Q4 so far has been 6.5M if I'm not mistaken. Sales don't seem to be up.

I'm not going to pony up $4500 to read their paper, but I'm curious to see how they came up with their numbers. That section of their report was not the meat of their paper, of course it was the one that got the headlines... The info was published in a paper that was mostly focused on future projections of console sales between 2012-2016.

BTW their previous 2008-2012 paper had this projection based on their market "data".

IDC.png

How accurate :). It makes it way worse that the estimate was done well into the generation had already started.

How accurate :). It makes it way worse that the estimate was done well into the generation had already started.

Well you know, if you account for RROD and the massive amount of repeat buyers of 360 and forgive the timeline a bit (stretch it by 3-4 years) that graph isn't all that far off..
:)

This is imo impossible. Their best Q4 so far has been 6.5M if I'm not mistaken. Sales don't seem to be up.
*cue in imperial march*
No! That's not true... that's impossible!

It depends how they count it. They did say "shipped" and not "sold". Anyway it's clear that they are now in a statistical tie, no matter who you trust. This isn't a winner-takes-all situation, there's practically zero difference in the business sense between 76M and 77M consoles sold (or 70M and 72M). It's ironic that IDC is the one that looks way too high, while vgchartz seems reasonable this time, if we consider the 70M milestones were the correct figures, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
With a name like brit you'd think you'd know America doesn't equal the world.

Many are waiting for the official numbers as the numbers we do know seems to contrast with the article. As you can see, that article with unofficial numbers would seem overly optimistic.

They announced 70M in November, well in to the quarter. Not likely that they got another 7M after that.
Based on past announcements from ppl high up at sony where the announced old data, the 70 million is shipped to the previous september quarter & not to the date in november.

Which would still make it need to be their best quarter ever. Considering the weakish US numbers that seems unlikely. Easy enough to wait a bit for official numbers, I'm certain if Sony has confirmation of passing MS we'll hear about it from them.

Which would still make it need to be their best quarter ever. Considering the weakish US numbers that seems unlikely. Easy enough to wait a bit for official numbers, I'm certain if Sony has confirmation of passing MS we'll hear about it from them.
How would Sony know how many consoles MS has sold?

So the only official numbers we have would be:

70M 360 sold on September 30.
70M PS3 sold on November 4.

Is it fair to estimate the gap around 1 million for October sales?
That's still a big gap to clear in a single quarter, it's also Q4 where the 360 traditionally outsells the PS3. ;)

So the only official numbers we have would be:

70M 360 sold on September 30.
70M PS3 sold on November 4.

Is it fair to estimate the gap around 1 million for October sales?
That's still a big gap to clear in a single quarter, it's also Q4 where the 360 traditionally outsells the PS3. ;)

Wouldn't Sony be starting their Christmas shipments in November? Given the fact that the latter is a holiday month and the former isn't for the Xbox 360 it is really hard to put a good estimate on the gap between the two based on the hardware shipments alone. We should know whether or not the PS3 will overtake the Xbox 360 this year by the time Sony and Microsoft release their first shipment numbers for this year.

Wouldn't Sony be starting their Christmas shipments in November? Given the fact that the latter is a holiday month and the former isn't for the Xbox 360 it is really hard to put a good estimate on the gap between the two based on the hardware shipments alone. We should know whether or not the PS3 will overtake the Xbox 360 this year by the time Sony and Microsoft release their first shipment numbers for this year.
No, not really. But I do think IDC is wrong. The important thing is that they're very close right now. Whether they beat them 2012 or in 2013 isn't really important. Also, PS3 will continue to sell well into the next gen, while the 360 will drop like a brick. We know it's only a question of time ;)

*cue in imperial march again*

Based on past announcements from ppl high up at sony where the announced old data, the 70 million is shipped to the previous september quarter & not to the date in november.

This doesn't seem possible. Playstation 3 had official cumulative shipments of 63.9M at the end of March 2012, after that they started to group the PS2 and PS3 sales together. Combined PS2 and PS3 during the following six months were 6.3M, if all of them were PS3s, it would have been at 70.2M at the end of September.

In the first calendar quarter of 2012 PS3 shipped 1.9M and PS2 0.6M, thus PS2 shipments at that time were 24% of the total quarter figure. In order for the PS3 to have been at 70M at the end of September, PS2 shipments would have needed to have been under 3.17% (0.2M) of the total Playstation shipments (6.3M) during the six month period Apr-Sep. I believe the PS2 shipments didn't hold the 24%, but I do expect that it shipped more than 200k in that half year period when they already did 600k in Jan-March.

edit:

Also the wording doesn't imo really leave too much for interpretation. This is from IGN November 15th

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/16/ps3-sales-hit-70-million-worldwide

Sony Computer Entertainment has today announced PlayStation 3 sales have hit 70 million units worldwide as of November 4, 2012. The figure was reached just under six years after the platform launched in 2006.

They specifically state the "as of November 4th", and the announcement was done later than their regular quarter reporting and even the November 4th is later than their reporting day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, from the news it looks like MS shipped 76 million 360 at the end of 2012. So IDC was right on.
When are we supposed to know Sony's results?

INCJ is the government fund that bought their chemicals business.

The INCJ has offered to invest in any firm created by merging Sony's battery division with the Nissan-NEC venture, the Yomiuri said. It is also looking for other potential Japanese buyers, the paper added, citing unidentified sources familiar with the matter.

Founded as a joint venture with Union Carbide Corp in 1975 and later made a fully-owned unit, Sony Energy Devices Corp was a pioneer in making lithium-ion batteries for computers and mobile devices.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/25/us-sony-batteries-nissan-idUSBRE90O01820130125

Kaz trying to get us that 8GB of GDDR5, what a hero :D

Back