MS's business future, particuarly in mobile space *spawn

If MS wants a top-end YouTube app, then they just need to move a meaningful number of units and Google will build the app themselves. Until then, they get the same treatment as Blackberry, Tizen, Firefox OS and any other marginal player, and *gasp* they need to follow the same rules.

I dunno , is this how you felt back in the day when IE was the only browser worth a damn ? If ms required such stupid things then google would barely have started.

I dunno , is this how you felt back in the day when IE was the only browser worth a damn ? If ms required such stupid things then google would barely have started.

Are you suggesting that Google used non-standard HTML and MS changed IE to accommodate them?

PS. There was never a time IE was the only choice worth a damn. Without Windows integration we probably would not remember it today.

Are you suggesting that Google used non-standard HTML and MS changed IE to accommodate them?

PS. There was never a time IE was the only choice worth a damn. Without Windows integration we probably would not remember it today.

I'm talking about if MS blocked Google programs from working on windows. Its just the flip side of the coin with google blocking programs from working with windows.

Where would google be today if 10 years ago or whenever google started MS stoped all their users from going to google ?

first of all relax. second of all ms did make exactly the app that google required. then google STILL blocked the app. then google decided that the only app MS could make that would give it access to youtube apis is AN HTML5 app... which doesnt exist for any other environment and a ridiculous request.

As far as your diatribe about trolling android makers MS owns patents and thise makers run afoul of those patents. period. there has been a protracted fight worldwide which google/motorola has been losing.

google exhibits all the trademark aspects of a monopoly yet its only now they are being called on it. Google built itself on windows. people used the windows platform and ie to access and use google search that started it as company and a force. now they are just another piece of crap tech company leveraging peoples personal information for monetary gain.

my personal hope is that the windows 8 os foundation (8, xbox, phone and tablet) continues to grow and eventually grows to match or at least challenge the android ecosystem. i dont hate google but i do think they are a piece of shyt company using piece of shit tactics.

First of all, calm down!? Nothing in my post suggested I was overly excited. And then you accuse me of a diatribe (one sentence long diatribe, really?), before launching into some totally nonsensical rant about Google being a worthless company and monopoly.

You're clearly the one in need of calming. I'd post rebuttal's to your point, but they're all so far out there, why bother. Clearly you have something personal against Google that goes way beyond logic and reason.

You completely lost me when you started defending MS's patent trolling garbage. If going around and extorting smaller companies for cash, is the kind of behavior you want to defend, we're not going to agree on much. If MS is so sure of the validity of these patents, why would they not step up to the plate and challenge Google in court, instead they pick on smaller, weaker companies threatening them with litigation.

This is a pathetic, leeching way of making money. Nothing but a shakedown based on massive chests full of tech patents. If all companies acted this way, the landscape would be a complete disaster. Now that they've bought Nokia it's poised to get even worse. Traditionally Nokia only used patents defensively and did not attack others, now MS has even more ammunition in their strong-arm scare tactics. Yay :/
Rest assured that in all this patent posturing not one shred of customer value will be created, but plenty may well be destroyed, and Android phones will become even more costly and less profitable to produce.
http://readwrite.com/2013/09/04/mic...id-device-manufacturers#awesm=~okuDb3Kix44m8q

First of all, calm down!? Nothing in my post suggested I was overly excited. And then you accuse me of a diatribe (one sentence long diatribe, really?), before launching into some totally nonsensical rant about Google being a worthless company and monopoly.

You're clearly the one in need of calming. I'd post rebuttal's to your point, but they're all so far out there, why bother. Clearly you have something personal against Google that goes way beyond logic and reason.

You completely lost me when you started defending MS's patent trolling garbage. If going around and extorting smaller companies for cash, is the kind of behavior you want to defend, we're not going to agree on much. If MS is so sure of the validity of these patents, why would they not step up to the plate and challenge Google in court, instead they pick on smaller, weaker companies threatening them with litigation.

Google isn't making the phones the OEMs are... Thus your point isn't really a point. Now that google owns Motorola do you think Motorola has been challenged? Look around the world... Motorola has been losing in court. You can't go around using peoples patents cause you want to.

I don't care one way or another about google. But them inventing reasons not to support an ms platform flies in the face of their bullshit "do no evil" mantra. I only care about accessing the services of my choosing on the platform of my choice. Google is taking that option away from me so fuck em.

This is a pretty good article, in depth, on this whole Youtube Fiasco:
http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/16/4627342/microsoft-google-battle-over-youtube-windows-phone

Both companies are being childish, but MS is clearly the one antagonizing the situation.

1. Reverse-engineer Google's code, to produce an un-sactioned, ad-free version of Youtube.
2. Ignoring Google's legitimate request to have the App removed, and instead push an update that doesn't even fix the primary issue.
3. Ignore Googles legitimate request for app-approval, instead launching the app immediately and sending Google a copy.

3 strikes and you really should be out. If someone was that careless with my brand, and dismissive of my rules, I would not co-operate with them either. The arrogance is remarkable.

What is Google's incentive for helping MS compete better against Android products?

The exact same incentive for 'helping' Apple compete against Android. Not all Google/YouTube users will have an Android/iOS device. Of course that number is small and you can't argue that but Google seem to be going out of their way to ignore those customers. Their customers.

asked and answered. are you purposely being obtuse? google blocked app based access and instead sends wp devices to the normal website.

what else are you asking here?

Originally Posted by tuna View Post
I do not understand the google maps issue. Was it not possible to use the google maps web site on Windows phones?

Originally Posted by BRiT View Post
Before or after Google blocked Windows Phones web-browser access?

tuna: "I am unsure if Google did that or Google just served up the normal web site for WP devices. Do you know more? "

Could you please post a link to the post where my question was answered. Also, I do not know what you try to gain by insulting me, but it is quite unpleasent.

AFAIK there never was a google maps app for WP devices, but you might know more about that.

The problem for Google is if they start denying these monopolies to competiors in the cell phone market they will get introuble with goverments.

No youtube is going to bring down a lot of heat on them. I'm surprised they haven't been taken to the cleaners by the EU yet.

You can always use these services from the web browser.

The exact same incentive for 'helping' Apple compete against Android. Not all Google/YouTube users will have an Android/iOS device. Of course that number is small and you can't argue that but Google seem to be going out of their way to ignore those customers. Their customers.

Google has said they make money from iPhone.

not well. Not well at all. Try to use youtube from the android browser and its a cluster.

Youtube in my HTC One (S600, 2GB LPDDR2) works well enough with the integrated browser. Plus, I get to watch videos in 1080p, which is impossible with the dedicated app AFAIK.
It's not the ideal interface for a smartphone, though. I give you that.

Google has said they make money from iPhone.

Yup. And it's difficult to believe that Google's ad recoup from the Windows Phone platform wouldn't cover the cost of initial developer and support in bringing a native YouTube app to that platform.

Having done a lot of iOS development and having perused the Windows Phone platform, it doesn't look like a vast amount of work to do a port of an app that is little more than a portal into a web served video stream. Microsoft go the extra mile providing resources for developers wanting to port from both Android and iOS.

Yup. And it's difficult to believe that Google's ad recoup from the Windows Phone platform wouldn't cover the cost of initial developer and support in bringing a native YouTube app to that platform.

Having done a lot of iOS development and having perused the Windows Phone platform, it doesn't look like a vast amount of work to do a port of an app that is little more than a portal into a web served video stream. Microsoft go the extra mile providing resources for developers wanting to port from both Android and iOS.

They don't even have to pay for any dev. MS already built the app and will maintain it. They just need the access that the other google provided apps have...

so you use just the browser on android for youtube and not any app even the default one. I can tell you on my note 2 its a cluster if I choose not to use the app.

That is sad for you. What exactly are your problems? Can't you view videos? Also, which browser do you use? Have you tried any others to see if it works better?

Is there any point?? The YT app works fine, with no limitations AFAIK now (it used to not allow HQ on mobiles). Why would anyone want to avoid using it?

I guess the point would be to a; compare to the WP8 experience. b; see how it works. Ain't you curious?

Back