Sony's content platform and business strategy *spawn

The big issue with OS development in Japan, is that there are no "real" OS' built in Japan, as a result you have to hire engineers with little to no OS development experience. Same goes for the people managing them.
There was a huge leap in what constituted OS' in consoles between PS2 and PS3, pre XBox console OS' were much closer to very simple RTOS' than what most would consider a fully functional OS.

If you want to hire experienced OS developers, you locate your development in the Bay Area or in the Greater Seattle area.

Indeed previous consoles OS's weren't much beyond dvd player firmware to get you where you wanted to go and provide an interface off of which to access the hardware for games. The last gen brought an explosion in resources for the OS and what they can do.

The big issue with OS development in Japan, is that there are no "real" OS' built in Japan, as a result you have to hire engineers with little to no OS development experience. Same goes for the people managing them.
There was a huge leap in what constituted OS' in consoles between PS2 and PS3, pre XBox console OS' were much closer to very simple RTOS' than what most would consider a fully functional OS.

If you want to hire experienced OS developers, you locate your development in the Bay Area or in the Greater Seattle area.

While I am to lazy to look up the numbers right now, there are a lot of jap engineers involved with the kernel Linux. Probably other are involved with the BSD systems.

While I am to lazy to look up the numbers right now, there are a lot of jap engineers involved with the kernel Linux. Probably other are involved with the BSD systems.

The linux pool exists world wide and is distributed as such, in SF you have Apple engineers to pull from, in Redmond you have MS engineers.

The other issue I've found hiring the significant open source contributors, is that they come with a lot of baggage, they tend to have very idealistic viewpoints that don't necessarily align with corporate culture.

Yes, I think the Linux foundation is a great start. These people move quickly since they don't have the baggage to support a consumer product. However Sony will still need their own talent pool to customize it accordingly. I know with OtherOS, Sony has a EU team to oversee PS3 Linux. I also like their custom LightPeak work, and their cooperation with IBM. Basically they should find their own ways to piece together a strong team, including their core engineers from Japan and elsewhere.

EDIT:
I suspect companies are already tapping on talents from all over the world. The issue is how to use and manage them. e.g., For PS Mobile, while the SDK is led by Tokyo, the Mono VM is an open source project. Lead is an American or European ? I didn't check.

The other issue I've found hiring the significant open source contributors, is that they come with a lot of baggage, they tend to have very idealistic viewpoints that don't necessarily align with corporate culture.

This raises more questions than it answers. :D

The linux pool exists world wide and is distributed as such, in SF you have Apple engineers to pull from, in Redmond you have MS engineers.

You do not think the MS and Apple engineers have viewpoints that do not align with Sony's corporate culture? And you should know that operating system kernels are being produced by a lot more companies than Apple and MS.

And to be really frank, I do not think the kernel is the problem for Sony. Their problem is integrating and having a shared vision.

I don't think I mentioned Sony's corporate culture specifically.
Big companies are big companies, they all have their issues, sometimes it's just how the weaknesses/strengths align against the product they are trying to deliver, often their weaknesses today are what made them successful in the past.

FWIW I agree that user experience is much more important than any underlying technology but shared vision and the kernel development are orthogonal issues.

I understand what ERP is saying, but there are also open source folks who are not so idealistic. ^_^

And to be really frank, I do not think the kernel is the problem for Sony. Their problem is integrating and having a shared vision.

Yes, there are stubborn people in Google, MS and Apple also.

And yes, management is key to integrating and sustaining these people's contribution.

EDIT: Forgot to say I also like Sony's "overlapped mini-app" support in Android 4.0. Only saw it in action on YouTube video. Will check them out someday.

It's up on-and-off, apparently. But it suggests it should be here officially soon. Should give you everything you can get through the PSN stores on the PS3 and Vita, but on PC through a web interface.

Anyone have any idea why Sony's relationship with the japanese publishers seem to be bad? For example, Capcom has not produced any Monster Hunter Portable 4 on the Vita yet. If Sony can work with Ubisoft to get AC3: Liberation, why couldn't they do a similar deal with Capcom?

Yep. Saves firing up the PS3 to look up new content. Although I do wish Sony would force suitable preview material. None of the dynamic themes have any preview videos. There's no way I'm buying a theme without knowing what I'm getting beyond the icon picture, and in the case of some devs (eg. SMOBILE Inc) they have no web presence or YouTube channel to show their content. Would go for a crackling fire theme if I knew the icons didn't suck and the video didn't skip obtrusively.

Initially they didn't think they needed to do anything, that the Vita version would come automatically. But now it is not clear whether Capcom did a (temporary) exclusive deal with Nintendo or are simply giving priority to mobile (which is currently hot in Japan as well).

Anyone have any idea why Sony's relationship with the japanese publishers seem to be bad? For example, Capcom has not produced any Monster Hunter Portable 4 on the Vita yet. If Sony can work with Ubisoft to get AC3: Liberation, why couldn't they do a similar deal with Capcom?
Maybe because they have a far bigger market with Nintendo? Monster Hunter was a good fit for PSP. Vita has little market and the demographic for MH is probably expected to be more 3DS and Wii based, maybe.

Ultimately it's not about relationships. It's about publishers investing in making games that'll sell and be profitable, which means targeting the platform(s) that'll support a product. Vita isn't being seen as viable at this point.

Maybe because they have a far bigger market with Nintendo? Monster Hunter was a good fit for PSP. Vita has little market and the demographic for MH is probably expected to be more 3DS and Wii based, maybe.

The decision to develop MHP4 on Vita or not must have been taken before the actual retail launch of the Vita. Also, Vita sales in Japan would be quite a bit better if MHP4 (or even MHP3G or something) would be available.

according to an official of sony - orbis be a failure ! ( it can be a hoax)
but kotaku posted it - http://kotaku.com/5971029/sony-empl...a-lot-of-confidence-that-orbis-will-sell-well

Even if it was posted by a former senior manager of Sony, they manage to contradict themselves within five sentences.

"I don't have a lot of confidence that Orbis will sell well as I don't see it selling to the casual audience. They simply don't need it."

"Stop investing in low margin areas where you can't compete, like casual games. Focus on the core gamer. That is your market!"

:???:

Back