Sony's content platform and business strategy *spawn

IMHO, it's a little rough compared to the more mature Vudu. Both Vudu and Hulu Plus have great UI on the PS3. NetFlix UI is a little restrictive for me.

There is also CinemaNow but it's only "special" if you also buy DVD/Blu-ray movies from BestBuy.

I think Shifty only has iPlayer, LoveFilm, and NetFlix to choose from though.

Yep. They're the only options in the UK at present. NA has loads more streaming options. UK has a few. The ROTW is really underrepresented AFAIK.

Yep. They're the only options in the UK at present. NA has loads more streaming options. UK has a few.

Correction - the US has loads more streaming options. Canada currently only has Netflix, a PC only ad supported spattering of stuff connected to the CHUM empire (Comedy Network, TSN, etc.) and then the pay per play services like PSN.

For subscription streaming to my knowledge Netflix is the only option in Canada and it has an order of magnitude less content than the US service.

Cheers

Right now, I have Mubi on PS3, and the Microsoft video store on 360. They're both fairly worthless, but the 360 store gets an occasional decent movie that I would rent if it wasn't more expensive than getting a much better quality BluRay (and here I'm talking sound as much as image quality) with much better subtitle features (some movies now have Dutch subtitles, but we prefer English SDH by a mile).

They say we should be getting Video Unlimited this summer. May try that just to try it sometime (also watched exactly one movie on 360).

They say we should be getting Video Unlimited this summer. May try that just to try it sometime (also watched exactly one movie on 360).

Heh heh, until they remove the 1 system activation limitation, Video Unlimited will in fact be pretty limited.

Interview with Andrew House on page 19:
http://content.yudu.com/A1w9wi/MCV1...ndrew-house-interviewed-in-the-new-mcv/098001

Talks about PS4, PS Mobile, Vita, and WonderBook.

The statement that surprised me was:

Our group in Tokyo created a PS Mobile SDK that small indie developers can download to their PC and develop games that work on PS-certified Android devices as well as on Vita.

I have already assumed that PS Mobile/Suite is a US or EU effort.

I think I'll wait a few days to see if Sony correct his statements. 8^P

No PS Mobile definitely comes from Tokyo. And yes I was surprised as well, but it makes sense as they probably view this similar to the Vita and PS3 OS.

But it also explains some of the obvious things missibg in initial versions that I think US or EU teams would probably not have missed.

They still need to improve WWS combined dev efforts in some areas.

patsu said:
Heh heh, until they remove the 1 system activation limitation, Video Unlimited will in fact be pretty limited.

It has 1 system ps3 and one system Vita though right? I mean clearly improvements are needed but for me that d be an ok start.

Honestly I think Sony needs to let go of the idea that all their os's and software sdk's need to come from Japan and instead use the best teams not just the homegrown ones.

Honestly I think Sony needs to let go of the idea that all their os's and software sdk's need to come from Japan and instead use the best teams not just the homegrown ones.

You are absolutely right! PS Mobile would be much better if it was based on a Free Software implementation of a Microsoft CLR/VM. The inwards looking japs will never get something like that!

It's nothing with them being japs and everything to do with them being slow and generally not that great at their job. I could care less if they were Tokyo if they were cutting edge and quick from idea to implementation but they aren't and there seems some stubborn side of Sony that doesn't want to let Sony NA, or EU work on it despite the failings. PS1 and PS2 even PSP they were pretty great though some may argue about the SDK quality. However PS3, Vita, and PS Suite they seem lacking. It has nothing to do with them being backwards japs or whatever. It has to do with them waning at their jobs and seemingly unwilling to let other groups within the company help.

It has 1 system ps3 and one system Vita though right? I mean clearly improvements are needed but for me that d be an ok start.

You're right.

Still... my home PS3 is left out of the loop. Come on, iPad is so liberal in video delivery. In some cases, I don't even need an account. Just load the app and play all the movies I want. The same app/website on PC requires registration with Email. My friend looked at the PC version, and went to iPad right away. The app gets downloaded to all our iOS devices automatically too. -_-

No PS Mobile definitely comes from Tokyo. And yes I was surprised as well, but it makes sense as they probably view this similar to the Vita and PS3 OS.

But it also explains some of the obvious things missibg in initial versions that I think US or EU teams would probably not have missed.

They still need to improve WWS combined dev efforts in some areas.

Ah, their western counterparts are not kept in the loop. In many multi-national companies, multiple regions work on the same software 24/7, taking advantage of the timezone differences. The managers stay behind each day to communicate the daily events so teams in the other timezones can take over.

Is that really true ?

PS Home SDK came from EU.

Those tech sharing game SDK came from the ICE team in SoCal right ?

I was told PSP Minis is a SCEE baby. Is that true ?

I do think they need some advance western software thinktank at the top management level though. Just so someone can fight for resources on behalf of the software people. I am not sure how much weight their CTO give to software. During the last interview, all he talked about were system performances like 300fps, resolution, and such.

I think the issue there is those are basically app/game SDKs. It appears the Sony Japan holds tightly onto the system level development and prefers to do it internally without help. System level software is where they have really lagged in the past few years. Like the Vita not playing PS1 games out of the box when the PSP already plays them? It seems just that their is a small group holding on to these tasks that may longer be best suited for the job and refuse to give it up or allow outside help.

I think the issue there is those are basically app/game SDKs. It appears the Sony Japan holds tightly onto the system level development and prefers to do it internally without help. System level software is where they have really lagged in the past few years. Like the Vita not playing PS1 games out of the box when the PSP already plays them? It seems just that their is a small group holding on to these tasks that may longer be best suited for the job and refuse to give it up or allow outside help.

Fuckups happen all the time in software development. The Vita PSOne emulator is a good example of such. I do not see any signs that Sony is less open than the competition (MS), but of course, you can always improve.

It's not necessarily about being open as it is about being competent. You can afford to be closed off as you want when you are at or ahead of the curve when you start lagging behind and are still closed is when it becomes an issue. The problem with Sony of late is they appear to be lagging behind and having more and more fuckups while still remaining very closed.

The big issue with OS development in Japan, is that there are no "real" OS' built in Japan, as a result you have to hire engineers with little to no OS development experience. Same goes for the people managing them.
There was a huge leap in what constituted OS' in consoles between PS2 and PS3, pre XBox console OS' were much closer to very simple RTOS' than what most would consider a fully functional OS.

If you want to hire experienced OS developers, you locate your development in the Bay Area or in the Greater Seattle area.

What was the PSOne fuckup about ? ^_^

I do agree if Sony want to invest in software, they need to be in US in addition to Japan. If they try to save money in core engineering talents, it will be tough to catch up. The Japanese TRON kernel is popular, but can't compare with Android's and iOS's momentum and scope.

Xenus said:
It's not necessarily about being open as it is about being competent. You can afford to be closed off as you want when you are at or ahead of the curve when you start lagging behind and are still closed is when it becomes an issue. The problem with Sony of late is they appear to be lagging behind and having more and more fuckups while still remaining very closed.

I don't think they are remaining very closed. It looks like they are trying to be open. They have Android and WebKit teams too. The Xperia WebGL effort was one of the world firsts (and open sourced by them now ?). PS Mobile certainly doesn't sound closed.

They are coming from a content-centric perspective, whereas the rest are more platform oriented.

Back