SONY's 1st party games as good as Nintendo's!

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
Gone are the days when SONY's 1st party titles used to be...well....joke! But it sounds incredible to me that how within a short span they have produced so many killer games that now it would not be unfair to say that SONY's 1st party titles are as good as Nintendo's with MS not even in picture!

Just consider this list:

Gran Turismo 3
SOCOM - US Navy Seals
The Getaway
Twisted Metal Black
ICO
Jak & Daxter
Sly Cooper And The Thievius Raccoonus
The Mark of Kri
Ratchet and Clank
Dark Cloud
War of the Monsters
Frequency
PaRappa the Rapper 2
Kinetica
Hot Shots Golf 3
and not to forget Syphon Filter Series....

Infact I would say SONY's list is more impressive than Nintendo....

Rightio this is probably going to start into a flamewar so I am going to go first:

You are off ya rockers mate ;)
The Getaway
Twisted Metal Black
Syphon Filter Series
Jak & Daxter

In my mind these are NOT triple A (AAA) games worthy of Nintendo or any other developer, producer of AAA games.

Your choice of games is questionable, excruciatingly so. I will try my best not to laugh too hard because of one fact: Gran Tourismo series of games, but that is only because I have a soft spot for them. ;)

In my mind these are NOT triple A (AAA) games worthy of Nintendo or any other developer, producer of AAA games.

I don't believe he/she mentioned triple A (AAA) titles anywhere in said post. Actually Nintendo produces a few titles that I wouldn't consider AAA titles either (a lot can depend on your criteria). In the end I think the point was that Sony's produced a fairly impressivel line of titles.

This has once been discussed (flamed) on approx 15 pages on Gaming Age forums, and sure, not everyone thinks so, which is natural, but many people felt the way Deepak does. It's not like Nintendo is making worse games than it did, it's just that they are slow as ever and Sony is releasing some of the best games this gen on a regular basis.

The Getaway
Twisted Metal Black
Syphon Filter Series
Jak & Daxter

In my mind these are NOT triple A (AAA)
In your mind perhaps, and many would agree about Getaway and Syphon, but in the minds of many players J&D and TMB are definitely AAA titles. Personally, I think J&D and R&C are as good or better that Super Mario Sunshine - both are very fun, imaginative and technically impressive games.

In MY mind, for example, ICO alone crushes anything Nintendo came up with this gen, or heck - ever, but that doesn't stop me to recognize their games for the quality they are.

I'd also consider the original Parappa more impressive and ground-breaking than the sequel (not to mention irresistable). On that note, I'd also through Vib Ribbon in there for sheer quirkyness and innovation even though it's a PSX title and ancestor to Rez (the PS2 version hasn't come out yet, although it's in development).

Also Operator's Side and Deka Voice are pretty fascinating to me mainly in the manner in which they incorporate USB mics (Operator's Side sort of reminds me of Taito's soccer title from a few years back), so I might add those to the list when they come out...

archie4oz said:

I don't believe he/she mentioned triple A (AAA) titles anywhere in said post. Actually Nintendo produces a few titles that I wouldn't consider AAA titles either (a lot can depend on your criteria). In the end I think the point was that Sony's produced a fairly impressivel line of titles.

mostly mediocre, one or two exceptions, Nintendo is the oppisite, mostly AAA, with one or two mediocre

I doubt there wil ever be a day when the majority wll say that Sony developed games are on par with Nintendo games...its all in the mind. Perception changes everything, even when facts may be present to dispute a point of view. Sony in my opinion has been doing an exceptioinal job of creating quality software that is not only enjoyable and aesthetically pleasing, but also pretty innovative and risque as well.

Despite any of their efforts though, the fact is you'll never be able to change the opinoin of one other... SMS's review scores are arguably inflated merely because of the name itself. Basically, for the same reason mainstream gamers choose the Playstation brand above all else, so too do the majority of videogame 'purists' consider Nintendo's First and Second party to be above all else.

I somewhat agree with the topic.

ICO > anything Nintendo has done in the last 5 years

Twisted Metal Black, Mark of Kri, GT3, and now (from what I hear) Dark Cloud 2 are all great games as well.

Sony's first-party has really improved to the point where I'd say that they're probably the 6th or 7th best developer out there (taken as a whole).

The thing is,

Over the years, Nintendo has build up such a reputation that even if they once in a wile release a so-so game some will be convinced that it is great simply by the virtue of being Nintendo. A person I know is a Nintendo fanatic who simply could not get like Luigi's Mansion, but since he though Nintendo beyond reproach he basically concluded that something was wrong with HIM, preventing him from enjoying the great game.

Sony is exactly the opposite. No one bought PS2 for first-party games, and some people still often scoff at their in-house software.

To put things in the perspective, how much do you think ICO would have sold if it was released by Nintendo, and how much do you think LM (sans Nintendo characters) would have sold if it was Sony-s first party? In order for Sony to approach Nintendo in the public's minds they not only have to release top-notch titles but also overcome the well-entranced perception.

Sony is exactly the opposite. No one bought PS2 for first-party games, and some people still often scoff at their in-house software.
Well, I for one did (because of ICO) and I know another person who is doing the same just these days because of that same game. Also, *Many* people bought it for GT3.

To put things in the perspective, how much do you think ICO would have sold if it was released by Nintendo, and how much do you think LM (sans Nintendo characters) would have sold if it was Sony-s first party
LM was a poor game. There's hardly arguing about it. I think it would sell even less on PS2 because the owners of that console probably don't car emuch about Nintendo characters.

On the other hand, Edge magazine once said 'ICO is the best game Nintendo never made', which I think says a lot by itself. It would probably sell heck of a lot more if it was 1st party Nintendo game. OK, it's not like Ico was a failure (it sold 500K worldwide) but I think Sony didn't have enough fate to put some serious marketing force behind it. Hopefully their next game will sell better, I know they are taking it more serious this time, expanding the studio, etc.

yea lets not forget about Jumping Flash, Wild Arms or Ape Escape series either, they're quite good. The older I get the more I enjoy Sony games over tendo's lately, it just seems that 'magic' isn't there anymore, chalk it up to age perhaps. And TMB friggin rocks, but the car combat genre isn't for everybody. :?

SMS's review scores are arguably inflated merely because of the name itself

so, so true....but this happens to many popular series imo. MGS2 for example. Oh and take The Getaway and DC off that list, they're complete rubbish! :(

Nintendo is acclaimed for being the most consistent publisher around.. and also gets insulted a lot for their abilities.

Sony's getting much better (games like ICO and Gran Turismo prove this) but everybody is just dying for Nintendo to be beaten. I honestly don't think it's fair the way that they get treated considering how freakin' consistent they are.

Innovation? How about getting the gameplay right, instead of putting out a bunch of half-ass ideas and calling it innovation..

Only a few companies seem to balance "innovation" with raw fun factor. Nintendo is one, Sega is another. Sony's still learning.

I'm no Nintendo fan, but even I would laugh at this one! Only 2 of those games (GT3 and ICO) I would consider in the same league as a 1st party Nintendo game! Every other game listed there is a load of old pap that's been drawn out there for the mass-market appeal of PS2 market place!
They may, however, be comparable to an EA game lineup! EA are the most infuriating software publisher as they are so obviously capable, but just seem to be so lazy and over zealous in getting a game to market! Just how many marginal updates can you make???......but then, I suppose if mongrels still buy it then more power to 'em! :devilish:

LogisticX said:
I doubt there wil ever be a day when the majority wll say that Sony developed games are on par with Nintendo games...its all in the mind. Perception changes everything, even when facts may be present to dispute a point of view. Sony in my opinion has been doing an exceptioinal job of creating quality software that is not only enjoyable and aesthetically pleasing, but also pretty innovative and risque as well.

Despite any of their efforts though, the fact is you'll never be able to change the opinoin of one other... SMS's review scores are arguably inflated merely because of the name itself. Basically, for the same reason mainstream gamers choose the Playstation brand above all else, so too do the majority of videogame 'purists' consider Nintendo's First and Second party to be above all else.

I missed this post on the first pass through the thread... I completely agree.

Personally, I think that MS has come a long way in a short time:

Halo
Project Gotham Racing
Rallisport Challenge
Amped
MechAssault

That's a pretty good list after 14 months in the business.

Sony has improved a lot with:

ICO
GT3
Mark of Kri
Sly Cooper
Ratchet & Clank
Jak & Dakster

I think both are nearly as good as Nintendo now.

At gamerankings.com they're ranked like this:

Nintendo
Microsoft
Sony

Perhaps. IMO, Nintendo´s games usually fail to raise my interest. Metroid for obvious reasons is a game I wanted to play, and maybe if I really wanted to get SMS, I may find fun in that one. Maybe like someone before me said, it´s a matter of age. Nintendo games are certainly very childish to me, and the more I grow up, the more I appreciatte other titles like GT3 and FF.
What is undeniable, though, is that Sony´s games are turning out, much better than before.

archie4oz said:

I am for sure a "HE"... :LOL:

btw your posts are gr8! I wish I could be anywhere near your level... :(

Can anyone post Nintendo's 1st party list?

Regarding Syphon Filter...I think it was an AAA game, becse it was so fast and furious..constant action....innovative targeting scheme....you could shoot while running...huge levels....infact Max Payne/Hitman borrowed heavily from it...

Back