Gamepro: System Sellers "The Showdown"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gamepro: System Sellers "The Showdown" (5 pages)

Sure, successful third-party games like Madden are an important aspect of a console's success, but a system's exclusives are its real bread and butter. We match up the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii's exclusive games that are most likely to move consoles from the store right into your happy home. Which console wins? The results might surprise you.

1st place: PS3

With all the negative press lately, it's hard to imagine Sony as the winner here. But when you actually look at how many probable stellar exclusive games it has lined up for the year to come, we have to put the PS3 in the number one slot. So many of these games are surefire blockbusters such as MGS4, Killzone 2, SOCOM 4, Gran Turisimo 5, Final Fantasy XIII, Ratchet & Clank...and the list goes on.

Sure, the recent negative press on the PS3's high price is definitely a factor for consumers, but the probable 10-year life cycle of the system could mean not having to shell out for another console 5 years from now. And it's all about the games, really. Even after losing the GTA exclusive, Sony's list of PS3-only games is a great reason to own a PS3, even if it's not for another 9 months.

The other driving factor about Sony is that its developers are taking chances with new games on the PS3. Look at the amount of new franchises coming to the PS3, and that's a boon for the consumer.

2nd place: Wii

There's no doubting that the Wii has a number of blockbuster exclusive titles, but the PS3's sheer number of exclusive games beats it out...but barely. The biggest hindrance for Nintendo and the Wii is the lack of new franchises. It's all sequels for now, and while the short term success of Nintendo's established products may have the staying power to thrive for a while, everything goes stale at some point.

Look at Gears of War, and the upcoming Heavenly Sword and MotorStorm. These are new IPs that probably will lead to huge success. Nintendo needs some freshness, and it must take chances if it wants to be back on top.

3rd place: Xbox 360

Yes, the Xbox 360 has the biggest first-party game out there, and there's no denying that Halo 3 will be a huge-scale success. It even has Gears of War, one of the most creative and critically-acclaimed new products on the gaming market. But from here, the list gets very slim. Microsoft needs a few more great reasons to own an Xbox 360 because when the PS3 picks up some steam a year (or less) down the road, it's going to be a tough battle.

I would've said:

1st - PS3 (for the same reasons stated in the article)
2nd - 360 (MS is VERY aggressive this time around, and although they won't get them all, they've shown they can at least get them multi-platform)
3rd - Wii (because...well, I don't really care!)

Main article already contains an update because they "forgot" Bioshock and Mass Effect. :oops:

Clearly a comprehensively researched and well thought out article. :rolleyes:

The biggest hindrance for Nintendo and the Wii is the lack of new franchises. It's all sequels for now, and while the short term success of Nintendo's established products may have the staying power to thrive for a while, everything goes stale at some point.
This comment coming right after they named the PS3 sequels? Talk about journalistic boo-boo's. :)

Regardless, it really is too early to tell at this point. If I had to lay my bets on any system it would be the Xbox 360 because it has been out for a year longer than the PS3, and game developers know this. Games that were once PS3 exclusive are no longer in that status.

What a joke - contradictory, uninformed, sensationaliSm at it's best(worst).

Whatever it takes to get a click nowadays. (either that or Sony marketing finally got their buts back to work)

Last edited by a moderator:
The trifecta of MGS, FF, and GranT 5 alone is pretty formidible as these are games that will likely sell 5 million+. But, the article doesn't seem to be too well thought through as pointed out by the posts above. They listed Oblivion and Rainbow Six as 360 exculsives but aren't they coming out for the PS3? Also, if they really think that the PS3 can last 10 years as a primary console, then they don't have a good grasp of how fast technology moves. In 5-7 years, the PS3's graphics will be nothing special compared to the cutting edge.

While I won't argue with the placement, they sure missed some already 1 million+ selling exclusive 360 games since they decided to list some released games. Also, in a sense, almost all Wii games are exclusive since they play differently on it than the other 2 systems. For instance, the 360 and PS3 Madden was critisized for it's lack of depth but the Wii Madden was highly praised for it's contol scheme. It's a very different experience on the Wii than on the other consoles.

I could be wrong but I though most of those PS3 games were coming in 2008? I thought MGS4 was the only one on that list a lock for this year in NA? I would say for 2007 in NA the MS exclusives are much better IMO. To me 2008 looks to be sonys year.

I could be wrong but I though most of those PS3 games were coming in 2008? I thought MGS4 was the only one on that list a lock for this year in NA? I would say for 2007 in NA the MS exclusives are much better IMO. To me 2008 looks to be sonys year.
Yeah, but there are some *potentially* killer apps this year as well, with MotorStorm yet to be released, and HS generating quite some interest with it's gameplay etc. Look at how Gears went - that was a big seller for MS, even though it was a new IP.

Fingers crossed that MotorStorm and HS deliver!

Very poorly researched.

I can understand the difficulty in that not everyone has the same tastes, but to toss in a game like Killzone 2 (which #1 wasn't critically received and #2 has no gameplay footage at all) and then leave out big E3 award winners (Mass Effect, Metroid, Bioshock) or other future titles... makes you scratch your head.

I think some people do tend to trivialize the work MS has done on software. First is that they are getting great 3rd party support pretty much across the board. Fall 2006 was pretty poor IMO for exclusives for MS, but they still had Gears of War, Viva Pinata, R6: Vegas, Fear, Splinter Cell 4, and then Lost Planet early in the new year (and stuff like Dead Rising and Saint's Row in late summer). And even with this poor showing they had more than their prime competitor. Not to shabby for 'exclusives' when you also have strong 3rd party support. But the big wins are coming from their alliances to snag titles like Splinter Cell 5, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Alan Wake, Blue Dragon, Lost Odessey, Wolfenstein, and so forth as well as making movement on titles like Assassin's Creed, Virtua Fighters 5, Unreal Tournament 3, GTAIV, and so forth which neutralizes a lot of the competitions exclusives. Toss in Fable 2 (Lionhead), Forza Motorsport 2 (Turn10), Halo Wars (Ensemble), Banjo 3 (Rare), it appears MS has a few cards up their sleeves from internal studios as well.

I can find no fault ranking MS's Xbox 360 3rd. But to list some of their games they do, and comment about MS is slim after Halo and Gears, overlooks some very hyped/critically praised games. Now these games being critically praised could bomb -- but that is the point, so can the others guys. But then again if you mention their sequals then it is "sequalitis". One of the hardest things to do in reporting "objective" news is to put aside your preferences and try to aquire a general feel for market expectation either through past sales and trends, hype from the companies themselves, critical feedback, and so forth. I am not perfect at that, but I tend to dislike a lot of games :devilish: So looking at the strategical practicality of a host of games I hate I have to rely on data other than my own opinion!

I will say this: I think MS has done a good job with software this time around. Beyond neutralizing a number of assumed/past exclusives, MS has games like Splinter Cell 5, Bioshock, Lost Odessey and Mass Effect to sit along side Halo, Gears, and Fable. That may not be compelling to all gamers, but in my guestimation that is a pretty robust lineup MS has assembled.

I also agree that MS has done a better job software wise this time, but it's still far from perfect. The console is out for 1.5 years (soon) and it still lacks a system seller which would imo be a Halo (and not GoW).

I would set it like

1st PS3 (totally agree wit hthe article there about exclusives and what's to be expected this year, esp. after EU launch)
2nd 360
3rd Wii (personal preference)

I was under the impression the 360 had more high profile exclusives on the table. :?:
well, it may seem that way to xbox 360 ******s. it's hard to get a neutral opinion these days. i honestly think the ps3 has a better upcoming lineup, and thats obviously why i bought a ps3. if i thought otherwise, i would have bought an xbox 360.

Sure, the recent negative press on the PS3's high price is definitely a factor for consumers, but the probable 10-year life cycle of the system could mean not having to shell out for another console 5 years from now.

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back