Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

They'd need support from the major franchises -- COD, GTA, etc.

Maybe even something like FIFA too.

Don't think 1st party franchises are strong enough by themselves to get people to spend so much on peripherals.

Fifa would actually be awesome. You'd have a nice overhead view. You could look around at the stadium. You'd be able to judge the trajectory of the ball. Highlights could look spectacular. A side-to-side view or an end-to-end view that didn't turn too much would be ideal. Btw, why the fudge doesn't FIFA have an end-to-end view that is "always up"? Dumbest thing ever. I don't want to play towards the bottom of the screen in the second half.

First person soccer, with a VR helmet, and full body capture... I wouldn't try that anywhere but alone in an asylum padded cell. :LOL:

Well back in the day, there used to be a publisher label called VR Sports, when there was a lot of competition in sports games.

But it cannot transport you into another world. Nothing but VR offers that experience. It's unique, which is why it'll sell.
This. Last year I got the chance to play Elite Dangerous using the Oculus for about an hour and came away a changed man. Unless you've tried good VR, you just can't imagine what it's actually like. I thought I knew what to expect but my expectations were a pale impression of the reality of putting on the headgear and, after just a few minutes, just forgetting that I wasn't really where I appeared to be.

And this wonder and amazement is something common to people, public and journalists alike, who get to experience good VR. I've tried to explain it to friends and colleagues; they nod their head just as I did before I tried it. They think they get it but they don't. It's one of those things that needs to be experienced because no amount of explanation prepares you for the degree in which your senses can be fooled so readily.

Nothing I have ever experienced has changed my perspective on the future of entertainment as much as that demonstration.

Do you mean you can't see those 3D encoded images that you have to cross your eyes at, or do you mean you have no depth perception at all?

i don't see 3D with 3D glasses in general, i can see the 3D effect sometimes when it's really pronounced but most of the time it just does not work for me.

i don't see 3D with 3D glasses in general, i can see the 3D effect sometimes when it's really pronounced but most of the time it just does not work for me.
Unfortunate. I am long-sighted in one eye and short-sighted in the other but IMAX 3D and Oculus both blow me away.

Even after all these years, when in an IMAX cinema I'm reaching out try to grab things like a bloody idiot :yes:

i don't see 3D with 3D glasses in general.
If you see 3D in real life, VR glasses should work. You're seeing two discrete images with no trickery between them. However, perhaps your brain notices the wrong focal lengths for the apparent depth and refuses to play ball? Do you see 3D as plain 2D or with ghosting/image issues?

i have hypermetropia and had an eye surgery at 3yo to correct a strabism, that must be the cause. anyway i'll try it before buying !

I think there still will be a significant sense of immersion with or without 3D. The point is feeling that you are watching from your own eyes not wathcing at something that displays what you should see. 3D depth isnt the only thing that brings this immersion but head tracking accuracy and input that mimics your natural instintcs and movement

New prototype improved the optics to increase the pixel density in the center, less around the edges.
I'm worried that will make any HUD look like crap. I don't know.

It's not pentile, it's full RGB per pixel, but they say the sub-pixel is a "custom configuration". I wonder what they did. "I8" or "III" are the standard. What can possibly be improved here?

Last edited:
Morpheus will sell just fine at $300 , I think once you cross that line it may get to be a tougher sell. The ps4 is $400 right now but if it drops to under $400 in the next year many might feel a bit of hesitation buying a headset that works on one device (that we know of) at a higher price point.

The trick with Morpheus is how you get a consumer to try it. I'm not sure a best buy is the best experience for a first time use of the tech. So I wonder if Sony are going to have booths in different malls like they did with the vita and also higher staff to go out to best buys and demo the units like some other companies have done in the past .

Now obviously the cheaper they get the price the better it will sell. $200 would be ideal. Perhaps $200 without the camera and $250 with the camera ?

Back