Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

There's eye-tracking? I didn't even know that. Do the other VR headsets have this?

Yeah I saw screenshots of the demo's, I thought it was a bit too good to be real.

They play the demo and they think it is the best looking VR experience for the moment. Not perfect but good looking.

The graphics weren't flawless, you can still make out pixels and interacting with the world through disembodied hands can be somewhat strange, but the level of interaction and feedback provided by the Move controllers and the PlayStation camera exceeds what we're used to from existing VR hardware

Last edited:
I think 60fps with 120fps motion interpolation is a very good compromise (games like CODAW MP could be ported as it's a very solid 1080p60fps game) but I fear traditional motion interpolation will bring an additional input lag, like on TV.

With TVs, you must know the 2 frames before interpolating one frame in the middle, so you have to wait for the second frame before creating the interpolated one.

Are they using a different motion interpolation technology? some sort of predictive temporal re projection could work in most cases.

Last edited:
I think 60fps with 120fps motion interpolation is a very good compromise (games like CODAW MP could be ported as it's a very solid 1080p60fps game) but I fear traditional motion interpolation will bring an additional input lag, like on TV.

With TVs, you must know the 2 frames before interpolating one frame in the middle, so you have to wait for the 2 second frame before creating the interpolated one.

Are they using a different motion interpolation technology? some sort of predictive temporal re projection could work in most cases.

It is software reprojection

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...ys-morpheus-prototype-is-still-vr-done-right/

Ars like the demo VR Time Crisis too

didn't really realize how unsatisfying and artificial this process really was until I played with the latest prototype of Sony's Morpheus virtual reality headset at GDC today. There, in a demo called London Heist, I ducked and dodged behind a solid wooden desk as assailants fired on me from all directions, popping out to aim carefully placed shots by moving and tilting the PlayStation Move controller in my hands.

When the gun ran out of bullets, I realized I had no idea how to reload—the attendant at the demo had only told me that I could fire by pulling the trigger on the controller. There were additional ammo clips sitting on the virtual desk in front of me, but I couldn't just magically pick them up by running over them and/or tapping a button, as I would in most games.

What I could do, instead, was reach out my left hand, pick up a clip with the squeeze of a trigger, then slam that clip into the bottom of my empty gun with a satisfying click. I was doing this in the game, but I was also doing it in the real world, moving my hands and bumping my palms together naturally and intuitively in a motion that I imagine mimics a real quick reload situation quite closely.

Reports:
http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/3/8145577/sony-project-morpheus-london-heist
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-hands-on-with-the-near-final-project-morpheus
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...ys-morpheus-prototype-is-still-vr-done-right/
http://gizmodo.com/sonys-new-morpheus-is-the-best-vr-headset-yet-1689307606
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...ions-vr-inches-closer-to-the-living-room.aspx

The_London_Heist_3_1425419611.0.0.jpg

The_London_Heist_2_1425419611.0.jpg

Visuals look very nice.

The impression overwhelming positive. But only eurogamer mentioned the auto calibration.

Maybe it works so well, other reporters did not even realized it?

So what is actually going to tax the PS4 gpu here? I'm told that showing two different perspectives of the game world isn't actually that taxing, and it's the pixel rendering that would be more of a drain of resources. But the pixels remain the same, so could games that are already running at 60 be a good representation of what we'll be getting?

with the rift I get about 20% less frame rates than the equivalent resolution . So with dk2 its 1920x1080p. But I loose about 20% depending on the game.

So I guess with the ps4 it will be the same thing.

The impression overwhelming positive. But only eurogamer mentioned the auto calibration.

digital foundry reported problems with the framerate dipping .

Engadget mentioned that the head set hurt while wearing it.

The hands on are positive but there are a few negative things sprinkled in

Gizmodo Morpheus Interview with Shu Yoshida and Richard Marks. Talks about reprojection a bit as well:

You talked about "reprojection" in your presentation as a method by which the new headset improves the fluidity of what you're seeing. How does exactly does that work?

Richard Marks (pictured below): Well, there are two ways it's used: one is getting the motion data at the last possible moment to lower latency; and the other is if you have a 60 frames per second game and you want to display it on a 120 frames per second panel. Reprojection fills in the frame gap in-between in real time using new motion data.

SY: On a 60-frame game, you want the frame in between but you don’t have the time to render a new frame. But you can slightly move it – when you move your head this way, you move the image slightly that way…

RM: It's taking real data – the rendering started before, but it’s just not ready to show that next frame yet, so it needs to display another 120Hz frame. It has the motion data, takes the old frame and projects it forward. It's not exactly a pure horizontal shift, it's more than that, but that's the idea.

This is such an important feature to have. I really hope all VR gear gets something like this because manual calibration is too much of a hassle especially if your settings get wiped out

digital foundry reported problems with the framerate dipping .

Engadget mentioned that the head set hurt while wearing it.

The hands on are positive but there are a few negative things sprinkled in

Framerate dipping is on the gaming and sofware side of an unfinished demo, it could be corrected.

Only Engadget tells the headset is uncomfortable other said it is the most comfortable VR set and other think it is very comfortable:

The new version of Sony's Project Morpheus is the most comfortable virtual reality headset I have ever worn.

And it is not the final version of the product. They can ask to Engadget journalist what he didn't like and correct the final product for example.

Last edited:
Gizmodo Morpheus Interview with Shu Yoshida and Richard Marks. Talks about reprojection a bit as well:
Looks like they are using "physical timewarp", slightly moving the entire last frame in the needed direction si that they can create interpolated 120fps stream. Hopefully it will work good because I don't see for example Project CARS working at 120fps in 3D mode on PS4. :)

Framerate dipping is on the gaming and sofware side of an unfinished demo, it could be corrected.

Only Engadget tells the headset is uncomfortable other said it is the most comfortable VR set and other think it is very comfortable:

And it is not the final version of the product. They can ask to Engadget journalist what he didn't like and correct the final product for example.

and I believe engadget , If you have a larger head its going to cause problems. Its an issue I've faced all my life with hats . Same person tried the prototype and complained of the same thing last year

and I believe engadget , If you have a larger head its going to cause problems. Its an issue I've faced all my life with hats . Same person tried the prototype and complained of the same thing last year

It is not a finished product, they can correct it for big head people. ;) They have at least one year to do it... I think Engadget journalist is not the only one to have big head in the world...

If it was a finished product, yes nothing can be done... It is probably better to receive the feedback now than a few months before release...

In FPS games they have to start by making movement speed 1:1 and get rid of sticks to input movement. Pointing "move" to the physical direction you want to walk is a way better solution. You could even use left hand "move" to point movement and right hand "move" to hold gun and shooting. The dissociation between your brain and movement (that causes nausea) would be far less this way because at least you would have your movement pointing arm as a physical clue to your brain of where are you walking to, decreasing dissociation.

Back