Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

I guess my question would be, why can't they use a dual PS4 setup? At least for demanding games/content. That then can get them thru this gen.

They're going to spend a lot of time talking about morpheus at GDC this week...
http://vrfocus.com/archives/11117/sony-providing-update-project-morpheus-gdc-2015/
http://vrfocus.com/archives/11791/sony-holding-project-morpheus-event-gdc-2015/

Fingers crossed for an oled screen... or if they stay with LCD I hope for something fancy like a short pulsed backlight.

I guess we'll have the final specs for the processor box, there's still a lot of unknown, last time they talked about it, they weren't even sure if they'd let the PS4 do the processing instead.

I thought Sony sold their oled interests ?

Wonder why no one is talking about Vive. Or is there another discussion topic somewhere?
I posted it in the motion control thread in the console forum .

I think the headsets are so similar at this junction considering what we know that there isn't much to talk about. I think the 3rd they are doing more on the htc valve stuff and mr fox of course posted the sony dates.

We will also get hololens stuff

It looks like every major player is moving toward fresnel for the optics.

Allegedly Morpheus was using a fresnel or hybrid on the first prototype, Oculus Crescent Bay recently moved to a fresnel doublet, and from the images the Vive is also fresnel based.

I'm sad. I hate fresnel. Please give us magical optics.:cry:

I thought Sony sold their oled interests ?
Where did you hear that?

They stopped developing large TV OLED panels, as it's more cost effective to partner with LG. They still use their super-top-emission for high-end professional monitors as it's the best technology for that purpose (but expensive).

They are pooling their patents with Panasonic and JDI in a joint venture, backed by the Japanese government, which has a huge potential. It could be too late for Morpheus at launch, but help with cost reduction later.
http://news.oled-display.net/joled-the-new-japanese-amoled-giant/

But I think an LCD with a pulsed (Quantum Dot?) backlight might still be a good solution. We'll see tomorrow I guess.

They definitely stopped their effort to make large TV panels in the old joint venture with Panasonic. That production method wasn't cost effective. Panasonic sold their assets to JDI. But unless I missed the news, Sony haven't sold their OLED assets as eastmen claims.

Sony still produce broadcast monitors at their Nagoya OLED plant, they launched a new model this month.
http://www.pro.sony.eu/pro/lang/en/...nal-monitors-oled-monitors/bvm-x300/overview/

They still have their production of oled-on-silicon and supply many HMD visors and viewfinders for mirrorless cameras.

The JOLED joint venture is a recent one, and Sony and Panasonic are minor partners, the major partners are Japan Display (JDI) and mostly a government fund. They are focusing on small to medium panels.

http://www.oled-info.com/tags/companies/japan-display
Jan 06, 2015 : Today the company was finally officially established and began operating.

JOLED (Japan OLED) was launched in August 2014 by Japan Display, Sony and Panasonic with an aim to become an OLED medium display producer (focusing at first on OLEDs for tables, laptops and signage). Today the company was finally officially established and began operating.

According to reports from Japan, JOLED is headed by Orbotech Japan former president, and employs around 260 people. JOLED is owned by INCJ (75%), Japan Display (15%), Sony (5%) and Panasonic (5%). The company's current plan is to focus on 10-20 inch OLEDs and to begin pilot production in H2 2016 and mass production in 2H 2017. JOLED will mainly target laptops and tablets. It will great to finally get an OLED laptop, but hopefully we won't have to wait till 2017...

The company reportedly will mainly use Sony's WRGB OLED technologies, but it will also develop Panasonic's printing technology and attempt to produce flexible OLEDs.

But who cares, the goal is to have low cost panels. It could be from LG, why does Sony have to make the panels if a Korean company can sell them for less money that it would cost them to setup a new plant in Japan?

Where did you hear that?

They stopped developing large TV OLED panels, as it's more cost effective to partner with LG. They still use their super-top-emission for high-end professional monitors as it's the best technology for that purpose (but expensive).

They are pooling their patents with Panasonic and JDI in a joint venture, backed by the Japanese government, which has a huge potential. It could be too late for Morpheus at launch, but help with cost reduction later.
http://news.oled-display.net/joled-the-new-japanese-amoled-giant/

But I think an LCD with a pulsed (Quantum Dot?) backlight might still be a good solution. We'll see tomorrow I guess.
thanks for the info , I just remember them selling their oled stuff to focus on that other tech they had. If it was just the larger panels then that is cool.

ps3 used to do that on E3 or something. 4 ps3 on etherrnet for Gran Turismo

Don't think it was at E3, but they did demo it for showing both 240hz and 4k resolution. I do remember that somehow the Cell processor was really well suited for this, but no doubt modern CPU/GPU should be able to do it just as well?

But yeah, while I doubt they will actually do it (just buy a second ps4 and a vr headset), it's the solution I'd WANT them to implement, because it would be possible to enable almost any game for VR then without too much loss of framerate or resolution. But I do have my doubts.

Or they can just have a breakout box with the Liverpool SoC in it.
Not enough bandwidth on an interconnect, so you'd need at least 8GBs RAM in the add-on and HDD. To keep bugs out, probably need a complete PS4, sans BRD. This discussion has been had at length in the 'upgradeable console' discussion, if anyone wants to revisit it.

Not enough bandwidth on an interconnect, so you'd need at least 8GBs RAM in the add-on and HDD. To keep bugs out, probably need a complete PS4, sans BRD. This discussion has been had at length in the 'upgradeable console' discussion, if anyone wants to revisit it.

You could probably replace the HDD with 32 or 64GB of flash & still have a small enough box that it could make sense I guess.

Or you could do a PS4x2 or PS4VR or whatever with 2 APUs and 8 or 16GB memory. Heck by xmas 2016 you could sell that for $499 and make decent money on that.

I'd prefer the modularity of two independent consoles, both for redundancy and for the ability to spread the PS4s around the house when I'm not playing with VR.

They will already have a big challenge to reach critical mass with a $300 peripheral, and convincing other studios to develop games for it. They are currently hesitant on 2 out of 3 custom ASICs in the external module, so I think they aim for a low price. Additional GPU power in an external module is wishful thinking, and a second PS4 hookup is impractical and extremely niche. (not that I don't want it, but chances are slim)

That's why 2*PS4 seems a lot more feasible than an external GPU. External GPU would need low latency, large bandwidth and additional CPU resources.
Replicating the same game and same scenes through a simple viewpoint shift would require a much simpler synch.

I honestly can't tell if some of you are serious or not. I know Shifty's trolling because that's what he does best ( :p), but for some others I'm not sure. :runaway:

Back