Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

to me quest is a superior experience to PSVR because of screen resolution and a lot better controller tracking, even if graphics are a lot less detailed, the fact that they are a lot sharper makes a big difference for immersion.
(that's a lot of lots)

Would VR adoption be greater if the graphics were much better than the PS2/PS3 level that PSVR games seem to have?

I don't think people mind the simpler graphics that much and I even still I wouldn't call them PS2/PS3 level. They are more like PS3+ territory.

i think the comfort (in various aspect) is really important.

Yes, I tried the Quest 1 and found really uncomfortable. Tempted for Quest 2 and elite strap, but I'll wait to see if eventually Facebook is forced to drop the mandatory Facebook account as there are already legal proceedings against it at least in the US.

Yes, I tried the Quest 1 and found really uncomfortable. Tempted for Quest 2 and elite strap, but I'll wait to see if eventually Facebook is forced to drop the mandatory Facebook account as there are already legal proceedings against it at least in the US.

The elite strap still hugs your face and less comfortable than PSVR according to reviews.

Probably China will make halo strap mod in no time haha

bought that game today, it's a nice mario kart in VR with wii level graphics :LOL:

but we have to keep in mind that quest games have to run at 2x 72fps (with a new 2x 90fps option for Quest 2 soon)

Last edited:
I don't think graphics are the be all end all. I think the actual resolution and field of view need to be better. That to me is the best at keeping motion sickness in check. Oh and good controllers. The move controllers are horrible.

They're not everything but you're playing with 4K HDR graphics on a big screen and then you put on these big goggles which cost several hundred and you are relegated to 20 year old graphics?

They're not everything but you're playing with 4K HDR graphics on a big screen and then you put on these big goggles which cost several hundred and you are relegated to 20 year old graphics?

20 year old graphics? Graphics and image resolution are very different things like eastmen said on the post you are replying to.

Here you come again with your weird opinions about VR. Say, have you tried it yet? Because the last time you were talking about it without having tried.

Exaggeration.

Never heard of rhetorical exaggeration?

You can't deny the difference in graphics is stark.

If you need to use it in a conversation, it means a lot about your non-open mindness to the discussion. Which is nothing new as you insist to bash VR every time in this forum.

The difference in graphics is so stark that you have non VR exclusive games with full VR modes like Resident Evil 7 and now Star Wars Squadrons. Again, resolution and graphics are not one and the same. Plus full blown VR games with graphics rivalling AAA games like Asgard's Wrath or Half Life Alyx. There is no inherent limitation to VR at all, it's more a case of how much studios want to invest versus the size of the market. Even Quest 2 with its modest hardware already has very high resolution screens.

Of course VR has high requirements for frame rate and per eye rendering so it is taxing on hardware but at the same time, I think in many ways it makes even the highest res game on a 2D display look like a game from 20 years ago, as being able to move your head in any direction independent of your controller, being able to control actual hands, having proper 3D depth perception, a near full field of view and freedom to look around, it all combines to feel positively like you’re in the future!

For me Beat Saber is the game of the generation and something like creating in Dreams in VR is also really something else.

Hmmm. I’m hoping that it means they’re not entirely sure yet about their strategy.

I would expect one of two things:

It could be they are considering requiring PSVR2 on PS5 only games, as it is likely that the next VR headset will support room scale and haptic controllers that harness DualSense like functionality (various patents have pointed to this). In that sense, their policy would match the existing policy on DS5 controllers. It works with the PS4 VR only titles insofar as you can play those fine on the PS5 using all the existing equipment, but this strategy breaks down temporarily for all titles that have VR features added to the main game and are cross-gen like Hitman and such.

This would make the most sense to me, but is also what I am hoping for most.

The other option is that they are completely unsure in what way to proceed with VR. They will be continuing their research but do not have concrete plans yet, and they may change their minds and create PS5 drivers for the existing hardware after all in the new OS rather than just providing them only through backward compatibility as they are doing now.

Either option may be true, independently of each other, and it may just be a matter of not having either solution ready yet, or the decisions not having been made, and in the worst case scenario the decision could be to just abandon all investment for VR support in PS5 titles altogether until further notice.

Could also be that they will create something like Oculus Quest 2 that works both standalone and can link to the PS5 wirelessly with WiFi 6 streaming. Personally I think that could hold a lot of promise too. Their remote play knowhow is in good shape.

Meanwhile Microsoft could, something I would recommend, just start supporting third parties, perhaps starting with Oculus Quest 2.

Back