Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Other differences I noticed:
- new one comes with headphones, buds that basically hang at earheight. Pretty convenient though abysmal / non-existent basses.
- new one moved all controls to the headset instead of the cable and no longer has a control unit in the cable itself. For power this is ok but for volume it risks moving your headset out of focus so is less convenient.
- the new cable is much thinner and lighter, which is nice. A tiny bit shorter too though but no biggie partly because it is so light.
- the slide to/from your eyes button moved from bottom to top. I liked bottom better and the button also seems smaller but it’s ok.
- the box for connecting the HDMI etc cables no longer has this sliding part and supports HDR passthrough

The Moira effect seems similar. The blacks I don’t know, never noticed. But the screenshot effect, this is the first time I’ve seen it. So Eastmen and we were both correct. I can live with it but it is a shame that Sony didn’t stick with the old display tech with the different led arrangement. I guess it’s just hard to get by cheaply but that was really a better solution for VR.

Will be interesting to see if what and when we’ll get a PSVR2.

Also, I do really hope we get that. I still get that same “I can’t believe we’re already here and how awesome it is” feeling when I play stuff like BeatSaber or Astrobot. Especially combined with the extremely low latency of the controls and display, it’s so ... good!

Do you think PSVR v2 no longer has RGB subpixel arrangement, or it just uses a different (but still RGB) panel with a more pronounced screendoor effect?

Hmm, maybe it’s not RGB. Looks like (v1, at least) uses Samsung OLEDs with hexagonal subpixel matrices. RoadtoVR has this to say:
iFixit suggests we’re looking at a unique hexagonal subpixel layout, but with Sony’s prior statements about using a RGB display (as opposed to the PenTile RGBG approach), we’re not so sure. One hypothesis is that we’re looking at a diffusing mesh of sorts, above a conventional RGB stripe layout, which could be a factor in why PSVR has perhaps the least noticeable ‘screendoor effect’ of all the headsets.

Also, “mura,” “moira” = moiré?

Sony just showed the PS5 and a couple of peripherals that might tell us something about PSVR2:

SW1kLCV.jpg

1 - Stereoscopic camera tells us that PSVR2 isn't coming with an inside-out tracking system (why else would the PS5 need a stereoscopic camera?).

2 - USB-C on the front could be a sign that PSVR2 will use VirtualLink for single-cable connection to the console.

Sony just showed the PS5 and a couple of peripherals that might tell us something about PSVR2:

SW1kLCV.jpg

1 - Stereoscopic camera tells us that PSVR2 isn't coming with an inside-out tracking system (why else would the PS5 need a stereoscopic camera?).

2 - USB-C on the front could be a sign that PSVR2 will use VirtualLink for single-cable connection to the console.

Or maybe just to support PSVR1. Although they could just make the PS4 camera compatible and call it a day. I guess we don't know yet if the specs of the PS5 Camera are any different from the PS4 Camera?

I hope those headphones have better pads than the PS4 ones. The plastic is peeling off mine and I've never had that every before on any headset! they should also be cheaper as there's no need for 7.1 processing - just raw stereo. the mic and comms works very well with the PS4 headset.

Good point. Although it does, as @Picao84 mentioned, still need to support PSVR1, the Move controllers, and DS4 tracking.

Hopefully there will be two PSVR2 headsets:
  • Base. 1440p LCD. Wired. Tracking via the light based solution of PSVR1.
  • Pro. 4K OLED. Wireless. Inside out tracking.
Same refresh rate, same field of view, and each with eye tracking.

Such a base unit would surely be quite cheap to manufacture? It's gyroscopes, a camera, and a fairly cheap screen cellotaped to a baseball cap.

Yup, this bodes well. Although I wouldn't fancy having my PS5 stood vertically whilst I'm tethered to it. How feasible are easy-detach cables? Am I even using the right term? Magnetic cables that detach when any strain is put on them.

I've only ever seen them used as power cables, so I doubt it's possible.

Ars take is rather negative one. Here's the intro teaser with clickbait article header to their review: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020...-a-sad-painful-end-to-the-playstation-vr-era/

Iron Man VR review: A sad, painful end to the PlayStation VR era
Ambitious attempt to recreate the superhero flying experience falls flat.

Maybe it's time for the virtual reality world to give up on the prospect of licensed superheroes.

The best game in the subgenre (faint praise) is 2016's brief-and-cute Batman Arkham spinoff, which let early PlayStation VR users play with gadgets and do little else. The worst example is the 2018 Oculus exclusive Marvel Powers United, a dumbed-down, wave-based brawler with little payoff for its superpowers.

And the biggest disappointment of them all—by a margin as big as Tony Stark's ego—is this week's Iron Man VR. This PlayStation VR exclusive admittedly tries to deliver something new in the VR genre, but it's too hung up on its ambition to concede that maybe, just maybe, it was never a good fit for PSVR's inherent limits.​

Maybe it's time for the virtual reality world to give up on the prospect of licensed superheroes.

The best game in the subgenre (faint praise) is 2016's brief-and-cute Batman Arkham spinoff, which let early PlayStation VR users play with gadgets and do little else. The worst example is the 2018 Oculus exclusive Marvel Powers United, a dumbed-down, wave-based brawler with little payoff for its superpowers.

And the biggest disappointment of them all—by a margin as big as Tony Stark's ego—is this week's Iron Man VR. This PlayStation VR exclusive admittedly tries to deliver something new in the VR genre, but it's too hung up on its ambition to concede that maybe, just maybe, it was never a good fit for PSVR's inherent limits.

Is this quoted from the article?
If so, what's the point in reducing the game to a "licensed superheroes" subgenre? Sounds like the reviewer just has some personal problems against comic book superheroes.

I thought the demo was pretty cool and impressive and my son really enjoyed it and very actively encouraged me to try it.

Minecraft will get PSVR support this month! I had basically given up to be honest, so this is a very welcome surprise! Even more so for my son!

It apparently (eurogamer) is just an update to the regular game that adds PSVR support and gives you two modes, a table like overview and a first person view. Fantastic!

Minecraft will get PSVR support this month! I had basically given up to be honest, so this is a very welcome surprise! Even more so for my son!

It apparently (eurogamer) is just an update to the regular game that adds PSVR support and gives you two modes, a table like overview and a first person view. Fantastic!
Wow, so they finally delivered the MS Hololens presentation ;)

Back