Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Discussion in 'VR and AR' started by jayco, Mar 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Tkumpathenurpahl

Regular Newcomer

I bought PSVR a few months before my Pro. Skyrim's probably the biggest difference: it was pretty ugly on the base PS4, with the IQ of an early, low budget PS3 game. On the Pro, it looks like a late PS3 game from a high tier developer.

I've since taken a job that takes basically all of my time, but that will come to a close within a fortnight :lol2:

Time to lose myself to Skyrim! :runaway:

Picao84 and eloyc like this.
  2. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Many first party games the main difference is lower resolution outside the center of view. Third parties can be everything from more upscaling to framerates, but in general Sony is strict on hitting at least 60 which is then upscaled to 120.

I think Ian Highton of Eurogamer often mentions the difference. I personally started on PS4 but switched to Pro fairly soon after. I still have both though.

eloyc likes this.
  3. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

Almost no difference other than things feels "better" when moving head

4. Picao84

Veteran Regular

I got a Pro specifically for VR and it does make a significant difference. Text is no longer blurry for example. No more foveated rendering on the corners of the screen. Image is generally cleaner and less aliased.

5. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

Yeah the clarity boost is really nice.

Btw
    Ace combat 7 still do foveated rendering on pro. Only in the second mission.

Picao84 likes this.
  6. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

Yeah, Sony games adhere to the minimum guidelines. Including the super annoying CAMERA = MUST BE FORWARD.

3rd parties usually will add FORWARD = anywhere you reset the view after they got blasted by users.

As for the performance, some 3rd parties will ignore guidelines while the game is loading (frame drop, static view, etc)

7. eloyc

Veteran Regular

I understand that Pro is obviously better. What I would like to know is if you think that VR is worth even with a base PS4.

Now I have a PS4 but I don't want to buy VR and be very disappointed. :-S

8. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Most great games are still great on PS4 standard with PSVR. But if you are worried I suggest you just google for the details on the games you want to play with PSVR.

Picao84 likes this.
  9. eloyc

Veteran Regular

I would go for Skyrim and RE VII. Normally, I'm not very picky with graphics, even though I obviously like pretty graphics. I usually play old/retro games, so I'm fine with a lower resolution as long as the experience is consistent, but VR is different, I guess, so I have these questions.

I already read here that Skyrim VR on base PS4 doesn't look very good. I wonder if it's just playable and enjoyable, overall.

10. Tkumpathenurpahl

Regular Newcomer

It's still playable and enjoyable, just a bit ugly at times. Things like aliasing in more distant objects, more prolific pop-in. Nothing game breaking.

It's worth saying that I played it on the base model before it had received a bunch of patches, at least one of which was explicitly focused on graphical improvements, so it looks better now than it did when I played it.

REVII looked and played great on the base PS4. I didn't get very far, so maybe there are demanding sections that struggle, but everything I saw ran fine.

I started it up on my Pro just to see what differences manifest. All that I noticed was higher resolution in the periphery.

I think the Pro is a really good upgrade to pair with PSVR, but it's not necessary. If you play retro games and don't mind a bit of aliasing here and there, or instances of lower resolutions, I think you'll be fine.

eloyc likes this.
  11. Picao84

Veteran Regular

I had the base PS4 when I got PSVR and it was mostly fine. Go for it!

eloyc likes this.