Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Not quite sure how I feel about the controls, though. You're steering the bird with your head movements only (I'd have prefered regular controls + free head movement).

That's exacly the kind of thing that is recipe for motion sickness.

There really is no such thing as "native" resolution here as the eye render targets get their pixels barrel distorted and spat through another pass of bilinear filtering. You really just have a continuous scale of 'more = better' and 'less = worse'. A 960x1080 render target will end up looking like a below-native/under-sampled framebuffer in the center of the image as your render target pixels will be larger than the screen's pixels.

Remember that the displays for VR have a need for very brief image persistence to avoid motion artifacts on the retina, and preferably a global update to ensure that for the ~2ms that the frame is actually visible you have a complete static image that's not exhibiting any scan-out induced oddities.

With fast LCOS device eg. the type rumored for Magic Leap , successive colors can be only hundreds microseconds apart. Also near-eye displays are special because the brightness requirement is very low.

Noone really saw color break-up on CRT-s yet that has red phosphor lagging behind the other two by hundreds of microseconds. Plasma and DLP projectors on the other hand are problematic because not only the brightness requirement is high , subframes have to be redrawn from time to time to have an appearance of multilevel grayscale.

successive colors can be only hundreds microseconds apart.

Can be or are? I haven't seen any lcos parts that cite >1 kHz internal refresh rates, granted I haven't been looking very hard in the past couple years after VR HMD research shifted from LCoS to OLED.

Can be or are? I haven't seen any lcos parts that cite >1 kHz internal refresh rates, granted I haven't been looking very hard in the past couple years after VR HMD research shifted from LCoS to OLED.
So apparently Magic Leap uses FLCOS microdisplay and supposedly temporal color.
http://www.businessinsider.com/magic-leap-could-launch-product-in-2017-2016-10
a micro projector from Himax that costs about $35 to $45 per unit.
Himax is FLCOS manufacturer , and there is also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forth_Dimension_Displays

4772625.png

Response time != Frame time

If DLP response time is 10 micro second, that doesn't mean DLP is 100,000 fields per seconds.

None of this solves the issue of flashing rainbows during saccadic eye movement.

Last edited:
I have no doubt the something akin to DLP/LCoS-style pico-projectors will be the future of HMD design, if not purely for the sake of their flexible form factor, but there's a reason why all the currently shipping designs are OLED. Perhaps in the future we'll be able to avoid the need for low persistence strobing altogether by having some sort of built-in logic on the HMD to extrapolate and interpolate to 500+Hz frame rates and achieve the same visual clarity that's currently provided by a ~2ms strobe. It would certainly allow for more easily attainable HDR, which right now seems to be at odds with the significant brightness reduction caused by low persistence.

Well, unlike DLP, some FLCOS variants are not only fast , I'd think it can be addressed with multi-level grayscale values (non-binary or non-bistable), they used to call this "V-shape" stability (that's effectively its analog grayscale).
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/252371753_Simulation_of_V-shaped_stability_in_AFLC
Very useful property if you want (true) short-persistence, something DLP is quite ill-suited for in itself.
&
,comparing DLP with a short-persistence V-shape FLCOS in terms of color break-up is not really fair.

Last edited:
I don't think there are any games rendering below 960+1080 per eye at this point, including Driveclub. It's just that in Driveclub, you're naturally focusing on far away points on the road. In most other games you're meant to look at nearby details. The cockpits look marvelous and relatively clean, whereas the road in front of you gets hit hard by the low pixel density of the HMD. There's various methods of anti-aliasing, though. In the case of Windlands and Playroom VR, possibly super-sampling. Windlands in particular reaps tremendous dividends from its pristine image quality as it's another game where details in the distance actually matter.

Robinson looks very clean running on stock first gen PS4 hardware as well, by the way.

Rez Infinite is apparently using sub-1080P on a standard PS4.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/07/how-rez-infinite-shines-brighter-than-ever-on-ps4-pro/
Similarly, those of you who have PS VR hooked up to your PS4 Pro might notice Area X looking a little different than you’re used to—that’s because the image being passed along to each of your eyes is being rendered at a higher resolution (1920 x 1080, instead of 1440 x 810 on a standard PS4), before being passed to the PS VR headset.

Summer Lesson is UE4 and from the video I saw at launch it definitely looks typical of what you get from dialing down the buffer size. I would presume that they had to choose between fuzzy sub-par resolution and having to redesign their art and lighting to hit their performance targets. Getting UE4 to run quickly in VR while retaining the pipeline's bells and whistles is problematic even with better PC hardware.

I'm pretty sure there must be more titles that are sub native. I haven't kept track of that though. And then some titles apparently use lower resolution in the periphery already as at least one game mentions they will not to that on Pro.

That's exacly the kind of thing that is recipe for motion sickness.

For a lot of people it's not. Including me. I'm not asking them to replace one set of controls with a different one. Just saying that having the option to try a different set of controls while also allowing me to disable the hideous black vignettes would be much appreciated.

I'm pretty sure there must be more titles that are sub native. I haven't kept track of that though. And then some titles apparently use lower resolution in the periphery already as at least one game mentions they will not to that on Pro.

Lower resolution in the periphery is definitely being used. I noticed it in Batman (very good implementation) and Robinson (not so good implementation, i.e. a lot more obvious).

sub native

• batman's edges
  • driveclub vr
  • robinson's edge
  • Area X REZ
  • Summer Lesson
  • maybe some scenes in VR Worlds (pretty sure the interrogation scenes are native tho)
  • Project Diva X (people says on reddit that Future live looks sharper)

btw when running summer lesson, sometimes PS4 failed to change the output resolution, so its still in 1080p (the cinema mode home screen looks clear) but the game is lower. some other time the PS4 do change the output resolution (complete with a pop up saying "the resolution has been changed by app: appname") so both the cinema mode and game looks blurry.

i think PSVR software is not mature enough despite the final retail consumer hardware has been produced at or before July 2016.

• the weird and jarring resolution change
  • the shitty drift
  • the gamepad that often goes inverted (easily fixed by banging the gamepad to your other hand like mad).
  • the super hard to do "light calibration"
  • no 3D support despite the headset itself can do it just fine via HDMI to android phone or PC or laptop.

Eagle Flight is surprisingly polished, the controls are insanely intuitive and precise. I hope this will become one of the "standard" controls for creature-based flight games.

They could do a LAIR remake with this. :yep2:
:no:

Last edited:
  • the weird and jarring resolution change
  • the shitty drift
  • the gamepad that often goes inverted (easily fixed by banging the gamepad to your other hand like mad).
  • the super hard to do "light calibration"
  • no 3D support despite the headset itself can do it just fine via HDMI to android phone or PC or laptop.

At least in my case, the shitty drift went away completely once I sat down within the recommended range from the camera, i.e. between 1.5 and 2 meters.

I noticed Playroom has a software 'solution' similar to what I thought would be worth trying, which is to set a threshold for z movement. It's a pretty sturdy threshold, but it does work.

For games that need fast motion response though it mat be better to just leave it.

At least in my case, the shitty drift went away completely once I sat down within the recommended range from the camera, i.e. between 1.5 and 2 meters.

For me the shitty drift when camera tracked also gone when moving to another house and after I totally rearrange my original room.

But when not camera tracked, the drift still as shitty as ever

Back