Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

my girlfriend laughed at me when i showed her the PT demo telling it was scary.
So today i made her try the kitchen demo, thinking she wouldn't mind, but she got pretty scared and could not make it to the end, i had to remove the PSVR lol.

Are all the cables easy to deal with?

Not just the ones which go into the HMD but also for the cameras and mounting it. Someone said it might be a hassle to mount next to Skype or Kinect cameras, presumably in the middle of your flatscreen?

If kinect is in the way... it will have to be put down.:yep2:

Seriously, it doesn't have to be centered on the TV since you're not looking at the TV while playing, it's a virtual space that can be shifted left or right, as long as you reposition yourself accordingly.

iput my kinect on top of a very tall bookshelf on my front-left. It works fine.

i do need to rotate my heading to the left tho.

In my setup the PS4 home screen sometimes drifts so that it's often slightly to the right and very slightly tilted. It's unnoticeable in games but bothers a bit while in the home screen.
Pressing the options button really doesn't help but only shifts the screen even more to wrong direction.
Could be that my camera isn't perfectly level or exactly center relative to my seating/standing position.
I need to do the headset lights calibration again, as when I did it, I did it in a room with very in lighting, so that in the calibration screen I could only see the lights. Might help keeping the headset in correct position if I see it on screen and align with the outlines.
I've read that completely rebooting the PS4 instead of sleep mode could also help with drifting problems.
I think the problems started when I moved the camera position and re-did the calibration for that new position. Also it was more difficult to keep the calibration lights lit white when I did that again.

I wonder what is the lenses made of
Nobody seems to know for sure.

The front is definitely aspherical and AR-coated from what I can see. So it has to be PMMA or Polycarbonate. Glass/Crystal are extremely expensive to make aspherical and they provide no advantage in this application anyway, and much heavier. Any fancy high-index plastics would be a waste of money, so polycarbonate is probably the ideal choice.

My unit seems to give little tilted picture no matter how well I try to sit/stand... not much but few degrees. Have to check camera if it can be adjusted or it is just headset sensors.. I had couple of strong image sailing/drifting/bounching/laggy situations... even camera calibration feed was laggy, long pauses between picture updates. That was fixed with PS4 reboot, just PSVR off-on did not fix issue.

Move controller work just fine if you don't count 1-2cm sailing sometimes, response time is good, move/hand position in VR seems to update without notable lagging.

i moved PSVR from my home to my lodging (rented room? whatever) and BAM! all problems are gone (except now i cant do room-scale, the room is too small)

btw any of you got VR affecting real world perception? i got these in real world
  • woozy feeling when i move my head side to side (or slowly turn left/right at tiny amount), complete with the ugly perspective change that often happen in Summer Lesson.
  • driving my car feels weird, dunno why tho.
  • My arms looks huge!
EDIT:
this happened after last night i played PSVR for 3 hours straigh (playroom vr and summer lesson)

in summer lesson i mess around too much, resulting many weird perspective artefacts and i hit my head (my psvr) to the wall a few times

- Bluriness when you watch fast moving objects (e.g Rigs)

I think that might come from 3d objects updating at 60hz and headset motion and actual screen updates at 120hz. -> Producing "double image"..
If game runs 90fps and screen is also 90hz then blur might be just effect of "hold and modify" oled pixel update.. just bit blurry when things move but different than "double image"

I notice this double image in most PSVR games. (DriveclubVR, SportsBarVR etc..)

Still, that gray fabric/mura effect is most annoying aspect of PSVR :( Oddly it is not appearing all the time.. for example it appear middlle of Rush of Blood loading screen. At first doll head rolls in perfect darkness and then some screenmode changes (doll head keeps rolling) and this static mura or dark grey fabric appears..

What headphones are you using with PSVR? I have 4 sets of over- or on ear headphones and only two of them are really useable with PSVR. All earbuds are just too uncomfortable for me.
From worst to best according to fit:
- AKG K601: not useable at all, the earpads are just too large and the clamping force too loose, the earpads just hang in thin air without covering my ears. Also the cable is too long and heavy
- Sennheiser PX-100 II - the clamping force is too light and also with these the earpads just hang in the air not really pressing in my ears
- Sennheiser Momentun Over Ear - earpads are too large, upper part of the pad goes over the PSVR "crown", so the headphones don't cover my ears completely and are too loose.
- Philips Fidelio NC1 (wired) - sit comfortably on ears, clamping force could be a bit tighter as they are a bit heavy and can fall off your head when looking high up.
- AKG Y-50 BT (wired) - best of the bunch, sit comfortably on ears with good clamping force. These too are a bit heavy and can fall if looking high up, but better than the Philipses.

I'd really like to use the Sennheiser Momentums with PSVR and expecially REZ, as the sound and bass is best on them, but the AKG's are pretty good also, and quite inexpensive.

I just asked something like that on Psvr reddit and there's a list of good fit headphones.

Try looking at my post history in reddit to find the thread. My chrome on android slow as snail when changing tabs :/

I'm using my Shure SE-425 and although the bundled IEMs aren't all that bad, fidelity with the dual-driver SE-425 is on a whole other level IMO.

Nice, seems you have similar experience with some AKGs. Generally, over ear phones are a no fit as they do sit partly on the PSVR headband. Some on-ears with good clamping forse are best fit. I do recommend the AKG Y50, either BT version or plain wired. The cheaper Y45 might be worth a try too.
The Sennheiser PX-100 aren't good either. Before I tried them I thought they'd be my choice of PSVR headphones as they are light and comfortable on their own, but they are just too loose with PSVR as the phones headband seems to hit the PSVR band before the earpads fall on my ears.
It seems phones that have quite thick earcups, strong clamping force and a band thats quite far from the side of your head would be the best fit. And also good sound, obviously.
Or in-ear phones, if you can wear them comfortably and securely.

Last edited:
I haven't had any issues with any of the headphones really. My sennheisers over ear aren't a perfect fit but I can still hear them just fine even if they partly rest on the headset. My on-ear cheap (40 euro) Sony headphones are more than good enough as well and those fit perfectly. Also I play with regular 5.0 surround from my speakers and that works fine too which I like a lot because of a bit less isolation (though it is funny how I can tell from changes in the air movement that my wife approaches me). I had the Wayward Sky demo where you can pickup the radio and I moved it around my head, and sure enough the sound neatly went along with it around my head on the 5.0 sound system.

Either the Sony iems that came with the system - portable audio really has come a long way in terms of value for money. The differences between a 30€ iem and a 300€ iem are an awful lot more minute than one might expect given these massive gulfs in pricing - or my Philips Fidelio X2s if I'm feeling extra fancy. The over ear cushions are a little too big, though.

Gonna get me another pair of the good old Koss Porta Pros soon. Those should be perfect for the headset. They are super light weight and super comfortable, and they sound super dynamic, spacious and punchy. They are less than 30 bucks too and often run circles around headphones which cost 10 times as much.

The Koss Porta Pros might have the same issue as my Sennheiser PX-100 headphones. There might not be not enough clearance between the headphone's and PSVR's bands, so the headphone's band rests on the PSVR band above your ears and might leave the earcups hanging in the air, not resting on your ears (I'm not sure if I can explain that without a picture...)
I thought the small Sennheisers would have been ideal for VR but they just are no match, at least on my head. Only if you had ears above the PSVR band would they fit...

koss-ksc-75-silber-schwarz.jpg

Good point. I still have a broken pair of them. Gonna try them on when I get home.
But hey, if they don't fit I'm just gonna get the Koss KSC 75. Sound-wise they are very similar, and they don't have a band at all.

Back