Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Nobody believed me when I told you guys that pentile is unable to accurately display colours.
Guess people now will be claiming that white is not a color, but that's cool. When you move your head you see all contrast edges rain bowing.

HHQituj.jpg

Btw the oculus is also like this, but with blurrier pixels. Looking at white objects they would have the same yellow, blue, red, green tint gradient covering it instead of pure RGB white.
I can't believe how they are going to sell these skimask-prototypes, it will damage PSVR once these first generation devices are thrown in the bargain bin;
"PSVR is 399 with no camera! Oculus is 399 with 5 free games and an Xbox controller as well as a camera! PSVR=teh expesivz!"

Nobody believed me when I told you guys that pentile is unable to accurately display colours.
Guess people now will be claiming that white is not a color, but that's cool. When you move your head you see all contrast edges rain bowing.

HHQituj.jpg
You can take a photo of any RGB display and get subpixel artefacts like that. A 20 megapixel photo of PSVR's screen isn't going to look much better.

You can take a photo of any RGB display and get subpixel artefacts like that. A 20 megapixel photo of PSVR's screen isn't going to look much better.

hmm, my 1080p RGB cardboard did not have that artifact @Egmon83 mentioned in white colours.

the artifact i see is colour aliasing on high-contrast edge. So like.. in a virtual theater, the screen's edges are severely aliased and the aliasing have rainbow colors.

but probably its because my phone renders at 1080p instead of 1.4x1080p ?

Masayasu Ito of SCE admitted to Nikkei that they have a plan to introduce PSVR to PC too expecting broader non-game use in future saying it's possible because PS4's internal is not so different from PC.
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO98760930T20C16A3000000/

on the second page he did not specifically mention PSVR coming to PC, but the way the sentence was delivered... it seems refer to bringing PSVR to PC.

EDIT: ah i missed the intro paragraph on page 1. Nikkei has concluded that sony does plans to bring PSVR to PC.

on the second page he did not specifically mention PSVR coming to PC, but the way the sentence was delivered... it seems refer to bringing PSVR to PC.

EDIT: ah i missed the intro paragraph on page 1. Nikkei has concluded that sony does plans to bring PSVR to PC.
He says it's just a plan and they are concentrating on games right now, but seeing few months after he suggested a tentative plan of PS 4.5 we knew there's even a devkit, I suspect there's good consideration in the overall design of the PSVR spec including the Processing Unit. Oculus Rift will stay over $499 for a while, if a good enough HMD is offered at a cheaper price with a nice Unity plugin or native support it can make a huge sales impact.

Translated on Reddit:

プレステVRは、単なるプレステ4向けの周辺機器にとどまらないのだ。先述の伊藤氏は「今すぐではないが」と前置きした上で、将来的にプレステVRをパソコンと接続して利用できるようにする計画を検討中であることも認めた。「プレステ4は元々、内部パーツがパソコンに近いため可能性はある。今はゲームに集中しているため、何かを発表する段階ではないが、さまざまな分野に広げられるだろう」(伊藤氏)

But PlayStation VR is not just a Playstation 4 peripheral. While Ito warned that "nothing will happen right away," he revealed that Sony was considering plans to enable the use of Playstation VR through connection with PCs in the future. "Since Playstation 4 shares a lot of its internals with PCs, the possibility is there. At the moment we are focused on games and we are not ready to make any announcements at this stage, but I'd say there will be an expansion into various fields."

Btw the oculus is also like this, but with blurrier pixels. Looking at white objects they would have the same yellow, blue, red, green tint gradient covering it instead of pure RGB white.
I can't believe how they are going to sell these skimask-prototypes, it will damage PSVR once these first generation devices are thrown in the bargain bin;

This is the kind of ridiculous FUD that I come to B3D to avoid. Do we really have to read this here?

don't take my word for it; a picture is worth more than 1000 words anyway :)
to be honest; it's a pretty bad picture. There should be more screendoor/black unlit space than green and red pixels.
I am hoping somebody will be able to take a good picture soon

This is the kind of ridiculous FUD that I come to B3D to avoid. Do we really have to read this here?

I guess be glad that there's not enough of it to steer the discussion into the mud.

In regards to the photo, one needs to be mindful that it's not very representative of what it will look like with your eyes in practice. The camera hides some of the screen door by not being perfectly in focus, and the camera is not positioned in the same spot that the eye would be, so you get unrepresentative chromatic aberration artifacts as you move further away from the center of the lens, both in the form of pronounced rainbowing of edges, as well as a moire effect where the subpixel geometry overlaps with itself producing striping and other patterns.

If you were to isolate the center of this image, imagine slightly better focus with clearer screen door, scale it down appropriately (or look at it from a 10ft away), and factor in that your eyes are constantly in motion relative to the screen when using VR (which produces a temporal antialiasing effect on your retina), then that might be pretty close to what the HMD looks like. Seems like a silly mental exercise though considering these things will be shipping in a matter of weeks and it won't be long before everyone will know someone that knows someone that owns one and will be able to try it for themselves.

Your eyes won't move as much as in real life; because the periphery is more blurry/less clear you are conditioned to move your head more (relative to normally moving your eyes more). The most irritating thing about the screen door is that you notice it the most, when moving your head around. The screen door stays the same, while the subpixels changes colours underneath. Because of the pentile subpixel structure, combined with the screen door effect, moving your head in (arguably the worst case scenario is the picture I posted; monochrome pictures have the highest contrast and thus the most noticeable rain bowing artefacts on edges) would result in the following when looking at a black object against a white or bright background:

Let's take a black object of a few pixels wide, like the stove. on the right edges you have a red shadow, and on the left edges you have a green shadow. '1 pixel' of head movement you have on the right edges a green shadow, while on the left edges you now ave a red shadow. The next pixel of movement it changes again, and again and again. The screen door stays the same. So with high contrast colours against bright surfaces you have a constant changing of edge outline colours, resulting in severe rainbowing. The moment you notice those artefacts, you can never unnoticed them again. At least this is my experience with the Vive pre.
It happens every time you focus on an object; your head is never perfectly still so the outlines are constantly changing colours.

I have not tried the Occulus with the diffuser panel in front, actually that might be a good idea.

PSVR compares to this in the following way: I could not see the subpixel structure. So with a black line against a bright background: the object is actually a black line; no added colours on each side. When you move your head; the same.

Your eyes are always moving because your head is always moving. Eyes counter rotate with your head automatically (even with your eyes closed). This change in perception is why you frequently hear differing accounts of how bad the screen door is on a particular HMD, and why people will often say things like, "i stopped noticing it after a while". When you're moving and engaged with VR, your eyes are fixated on objects in world space, not subpixels in screen space, which means that each spot on your retina is getting peppered with the full available RGB and you don't continually see the subpixel break-up. Where the pentile subpixel spread becomes a particular issue is when you're dealing with small/precise movement like when you're trying to examine text/UI. The fact that we're hearing reports that the Rift somehow has less screen door and better overall picture than PSVR has me really curious as to what they're doing - I'm probably looking forward more to the tear downs than I am using the device o_O

Looking at the corner of a wall, waiting for an enemy... Even if you get killed, at least you got to see a pretty rainbow ;-)

Digital Foundry: Oculus Rift review
Virtual reality check.

Verdict: It's rubbish, wait for PSVR. :yep2:
With your eyes pressed so closely against the panel, it's inevitable that you see the 'screen door' effect, visible here in a kind of diagonal pattern. It's possible to make out the edges of the pixels, but thankfully, not their RGB sub-pixel make-up.
From my experience (and impressions by others who experienced all 3 HMDs) PSVR should be almost free from screen-door effect, but looks softer and blurrier (and more jaggies) than Vive or Rift that use hi-res pentile screens.

Last edited:
Back