"SONY SHOCK: PS3 PLANS LAID BARE!"

Wunderchu

Regular
Friday 2nd April 2004

SONY SHOCK: PS3 PLANS LAID BARE!

SCEE President drops bombshell: two versions of PS3 planned, broadband distribution model revealed

20:40 SCEE President and COO David Reeves has
made astonishing remarks on his company's plans for the next generation of console hardware, in a revealing interview posted on the official PlayStation website.
With Microsoft having unveiled its software-driven strategy for next-gen at last week's GDC, Reeves revealed incredible plans for the future of PlayStation, setting the scene for a thrilling battle which will see the two rivals fight it out from markedly different strategic positions.

On the subject of PSP, Reeves suggested that games on Sony's forthcoming PSP handheld will be region free - that is, a title purchased in one territory, like Europe, would be playable on a machine from another territory, such as Japan. No suprises there.

It seems that PSP movies will likely remain region protected however, although this is yet to be confirmed.

Speaking on the potential of PSP's movie playback functionality, Reeves said: "I think they [the movie distributors] will come up with quite a few surprises, so that you'd want to buy a movie on UMD as well as having it on DVD. Maybe."

Now for the real meat. Speaking on Sony's next generation home console, Reeves said: "There might be a normal PS3 for gamers, who just want to play the movies and have better games," he commented, suggesting that a "home server" version of the PlayStation 3, "maybe with a hard disk drive", could retail for "whatever it might be, 600 or 700 Euros."

A standalone games machine could obviously be sold at a more competitive price, with Reeves using the example of those gamers who would prefer to "pay 200 Euros for a new generation games machine".

Two versions of PS3? A gaming version retailing for 150, and a 'deluxe' version for over 400, designed to be integrated into a home entertainment set-up? Sweet Jesus, the war is on.

Talking about the coming E3 presentation in May, Reeves hinted that the PSX and PSP might not be the only new products to be showcased.

"Something we haven't talked about, is that we made a change from PlayStation to PSone, so we may, in the course of time, make some cosmetic changes to PlayStation 2 and come out with something that's a little bit sexier, but probably no changes to specs or anything like that."

Sony has already registered "PStwo" as a trademark.

Reeves spoke further on PSP, disputing the comparison between Sony's forthcoming handheld and Nintendo's long established GBA. "It's not, as people have said, a new Game Boy," he said. "There are so many other features that you can add onto it."

Reeves also confirmed that the PSP has had its memory capacity boosted; the PSP "will have 30MB of RAM, now, which it didn't have before."

Talking up the power of the handheld, Reeves suggested the PSP was a potential PS2-beater. "I think what Phil [Harrison - head of Sony's London studios] would say is that people who get an early start - probably someone like Square - will take it beyond PS2," he claimed.

Crucially Reeves also mentioned Sony's "ultimate goal" for PlayStation 3: "To get into electronic broadband distribution". By 2006, when Reeves anticipates that all of Sony's currently in-development hardware products should be available, Sony hopes users will have always available online access along with viable broadband distribution.

"It's going to have to be 2Mb or 3Mb, something like that," he said. "Ken [Kutaragi]'s even talking about 30MB! And when it gets to that, then it is broadband distribution, and people then can just download whatever game they want. But it's got to be secure, and that's where DNAS [Sony's online security protocol] comes in."

This massive statement has huge potential ramifications for the industry at large and is likely to cause a storm among retailers, with the suggestion that Sony plans eventually to sell its games as downloads, cutting overheads, cutting out the middle men and, ultimately, cutting the cost to the consumer.

We suggest taking a long, deep breath and thinking about all that for a moment.

We contacted Sony Europe for clarification of the above key issues: a spokesperson had no initial comment and said they would get back to us, but no response to our enquirires had been received at the time of writing. The original interview, which is believed to have been posted up to two weeks ago on Sony's Irish PlayStation site, has now been removed, fuelling speculation that it was posted by mistake, resulting in a massive leak.

Microsoft says the next-generation is about software not hardware; for Sony the opposite could well be true. Either way, gamers may well have a choice between two clearly disctinct options come the release of Xbox 2 and PS3. The fight is on.

CVG Staff
[source: http://www.computerandvideogames.co...eogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=103014 ]

Man, that CVG site is the lowest scumm of gaming internet. Right down there with gamedreamz.com and xboxgamers.com ...

The original interview, which is believed to have been posted up to two weeks ago on Sony's Irish PlayStation site, has now been removed, fuelling speculation that it was posted by mistake, resulting in a massive leak.
Removed my ass... Let's mystify and rumorize everything we can, shall we, CVG...

http://ie.playstation.com/features/featureStory.jhtml?storyId=105294_en_IE_FEAT&linktype=FSOF

I was wondering when people would take the OTHER stuff from the post quoted in "PSP has 30MB of RAM" and comment on it. Not that anyone has really commented on it yet... But hey, now we have a place to do it in!

The "multiple models" is something that I'd been contemplating about as a launch (or shortly-after-launch) strategy since the PSX was announced, so I can certainly see it getting some follow-through.

Might Blue-Ray be another feature that could get split between the models? Offhand that would be more unwieldy than no-HD/HD, but it's perhaps an option.

Ps3 plans laid out for all to see.

Sony CEO says "We plan on making it out of plastic and metal. Mabye some rubber too " ;)

I heard from a reliable source that they were going to save themselves some money by using generic Spam, (Smeat), instead.

here's another, less hyped version of the same info

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=3238

Sony set to grow PlayStation hardware line-up - Reeves

Rob Fahey 20:00 02/04/2004
"PStwo" style redesigned console at E3, multiple flavours of PS3 down the line

Market leader Sony is planning to diversify its PlayStation product family significantly in the coming years, with the company set to show a remodelled PS2 at E3 next month and multiple versions of the PS3 on the horizon.

Speaking in an interview on an official Sony website - which has now been pulled, and was apparently made public in error - SCEE president David Reeves strongly suggested that the PSP handheld and PSX home media centre would not be the only new PlayStation hardware devices on show at E3.

"Something we haven't talked about, is that we made a change from PlayStation to PSone," he explained, "so we may, in the course of time, make some cosmetic changes to PlayStation 2 and come out with something that's a little bit sexier, but probably no changes to specs or anything like that."

The PStwo console is likely to follow in the footsteps of the PSone by being significantly smaller, and the redesign would allow Sony to maintain a healthy price point for the PS2 platform going forward. Packing the PS2 components into a small case wouldn't be difficult at this point - after all, the company has effectively done just that to create the handheld PSP.

On the topic of the PlayStation 3, Reeves revealed that the company is considering launching multiple versions of the next-generation console, catering for a variety of different requirements and price points.

A version of the console described as the "home server" version would follow in the footsteps of the PSX media system, with "all-singing, all dancing features with maybe a hard disk drive" and a retail price take of "whatever it might be, €600 or €700."

However, for those just seeking a new games machine rather than a fully fledged home media server, the company could offer a stripped down system catering to the needs of those who "just [want] to pay 200 Euros for a new generation games machine," Reeves said.

Reeves also confirmed that the company is investigating the possibility of electronic distribution of content over broadband for its next generation system - describing the pursuit of this as the "ultimate goal" for the PlayStation 3, and stating that Sony hopes to see always-on network access and viable broadband distribution in place when the PS3 becomes available in 2006.

"It's going to have to be 2 or 3MB, something like that," he said, speaking about connection sizes - which are currently generally at 512k (0.5MB) in most UK broadband-enabled homes. "Ken [Kutaragi]'s even talking about 30MB! And when it gets to that, then it is broadband distribution, and people then can just download whatever game they want. But it's got to be secure, and that's where DNAS [Sony's online security protocol] comes in."

I found the comment about PSP being *effectively* a PS2 put into a small case to be rather interesting. PSP is not exactly as PS2, it's better in many areas, though not quite as 'brute force' as PS2.

30 Mbit sustained is really really hard to do even with VDSL....

Not if your close to the CO, the server that is shuttling packets your way has a ton of bandwidth dedicated just for you, and your line is pretty clean.

Then again, we won't see 30+mbs connections being the norm for another 10 years. Fiber is the future though, xDSL technology will be phased out by the major tele companies for Fiber(Look at Verizon).

this time, it's 1up.com's take on the same SCEE interview

http://www.1up.com/article2/0,2053,1560808,00.asp

SCEE Boss Spills PSP, PS3 Goods
By David Smith
4/2/2004

In a curiously unpublicized interview on the official European PlayStation website, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe president David Reeves recently spilled his guts on many issues of importance to the future of Sony's games business. His comments addressed not only current hardware, but the PSP in the near future and the next PlayStation further off.
In the near term, Reeves addressed the long-standing rumor of changes to the PSP's RAM capacity. The specifications announced by Sony last fall included 12 megabytes of RAM -- eight megabytes of main RAM, two megabytes for its Media Engine chip, and two megabytes of video RAM for its graphics hardware. However, "it will have 30Mb of RAM, now (which it didn't have before)," said Reeves, although he didn't clarify how that RAM will be distributed around the system.

As for the larger question of how powerful the system might be, Reeves echoed conservative estimates that put it between the original PlayStation and PlayStation 2. However, he brought up the possibility of how much games might improve over the handheld's lifespan: I think what Phil [Phil Harrison, SCEE's VP of development] would say is that people who get an early start - probably someone like Square - will take it beyond PS2. Because it's a small screen, it will just look... there's so much depth and perspective on that size screen, it will look better than PS2."

Along with the PSP's game-playing power, Sony's plans to market it as a multimedia device have raised plenty of questions. In particular, Sony wants to make the PSP's Universal Media Disc a new medium for selling movies and other commercial video release. "Trying to make a successful format is not easy; it's like MiniDisc," Reeves said, recognizing the relative failures of some of Sony's earlier efforts to market new media. "So you've got to have some added extras, and I think they will come up with quite a few surprises, so that you'd want to buy a movie on UMD as well as having it on DVD."

On the related subject of the UMD's region-coding features, Reeves surprisingly said he doesn't expect to see PSP games restricted to one territory or another. "It'll probably be a worldwide launch, so what we can expect, probably, is that games will come out with no regional coding," he said. "But the movies may still have regional coding, but not because of our determination, but because of Hollywood and the timing of theatrical and DVD releases." Now that the PSP isn't in fact launching worldwide at the same time, we'll see if this prediction holds true.

A firm answer will likely come at E3, when we'll also get a look at the PSP's exterior design. The concept Ken Kutaragi displayed at a presentation last fall, as most observers assumed, was merely a concept. "I think it was made of fibreglass or something like that," said Reeves. "I honestly don't know if it'll look like that or not."

Looking ahead to Sony's next console, Reeves mentioned the gulf between the basic PS2 and the recently-released PSX, which combines the PS2's game- and DVD-playing capabilities with much more advanced multimedia recording and playback features. Without confirming anything, he proposed that Sony's next console might come in two similar flavors.

"I think you can probably guess that PS3 is intrinsically linked with PSX," Reeves said. "You could probably envisage having PSX, and that branching out into PS3, which has all-singing, all-dancing features with maybe a hard disk drive. But also there might be a normal PS3 for gamers, who just want to play the movies and have better games. So you might see two versions; one is a home server, the other is for someone that can't afford whatever it might be, 600 or 700 Euros, and wants just to pay 200 Euros for a new generation games machine."

Reeves also mentioned that Sony wants to have its next console on the market in 2006, supporting other estimates of its release date from many sources.

Snapping back to the present, while discussing what Sony might show at E3, Reeves hinted at the prospect of a PS one-style makeover for the PS2. "So I think E3's going to be interesting," he said, "because you'll probably see the PSX again, you'll see the PSP...Maybe also, something we haven't talked about, is that we made a change from PlayStation to PS one, so we may, in the course of time, make some cosmetic changes to PlayStation 2 and come out with something that's a little bit sexier, but probably no changes to specs or anything like that."

You can check out the full interview for more odds and ends, although it's a bit behind the times on a few points -- it seems to have been conducted before Sony delayed the North American and European releases of the PSP out of 2004. We'll continue to look out for more details on Sony's plans leading into E3

Bah I heard they were going to make it out of the same tiles they use for the space craft.

The ps2 allowed us to control our own missles .

The ps3 will allow us to send our own probes into outer space :)

anyway enough jokes

Paul said:
30 Mbit sustained is really really hard to do even with VDSL....

Then again, we won't see 30+mbs connections being the norm for another 10 years. Fiber is the future though, xDSL technology will be phased out by the major tele companies for Fiber(Look at Verizon).

Guys, guys... There's a company in Sweden that's offering 26Mbit/s VDSL since many months, and copper tech is still evolving! Why invest in fibre when the phone network still has a lot to offer and already reaches every home?

Guys, guys... There's a company in Sweden that's offering 26Mbit/s VDSL since many months, and copper tech is still evolving! Why invest in fibre when the phone network still has a lot to offer and already reaches every home?

Because copper is an absolute waste of investment, Fiber is the future, it's what everything will come to one day. Companies like Verizon aren't going for faster forms of xDSL, they are taking steps to upgrade right to fiber.

Keep in mind, I'm talking about the USA, I do know that other countries readily have VDSL for purchase.

we here in belgium are are test piloting it since a 6 months and are planning to launch nationwide by the summer.

in the first step it will be 8mb down,1.5mb up stream compared to the regular 3.3down,192up Adsl.

Later on, the speed will be increased to i think 16mbit/s..

(I'm talking about "we" since it's my job )

Paul said:
Because copper is an absolute waste of investment

Why?

Fiber is the future

Why? That just sounds like hype to me. Building up a fibre network to reach every home will be a tremendously costly investment, a TREMENDOUSLY costly investment actually. And, as the copper lines are already there and tech to push ever more data through them each year, why go through all that bother? Nobody needs hundreds of mbits per second of capacity, and no service provider would reliably be able to offer it either. Even 30mbits/s to a couple thousand customers adds up to gigabits upon gigabits of aggregate bandwidth needs, the internet just isn't built to handle that kind of a load.

I myself have 8mbit downstream, 800kbit upstream ADSL, and I have only found a handful of sites capable of delivering even 500kB/s in download speed, much less upwards of a megabyte. My record was 722kB/s from a scene.net file mirror, maybe it could have climbed even higher but the demo I snagged was only like 8MB and it was over in just a few seconds. ;)

Keep in mind, I'm talking about the USA, I do know that other countries readily have VDSL for purchase.

I think a national fibre network is even more unrealistic for a country like the US, it will simply cost too damn much with no practical gain to show for it. xDSL or similar tech will suit us just fine for years and years to come, a decade at least I'd have to say. With 30mbit/s VDSL one downloads an entire standard CD image in less than 3 minutes, I think we can live with that for a while. ;)

My subscription was 512kbit bidirectional originally. I made one phonecall and upgraded it instantly to the new speed, using the very same modem I got when I signed up way back in december 2000. Very neat, very convenient... :) Of course, to use VDSL I'd need a new modem but right now it suits me great.

I thought during the big telcom bust there was billions of dollors worth of laid fiber optic lines left idle as dot coms fell and the stuff is now just considered a sunk cost. Those things are there for the taking it seems.

Meanwhile, back in the UK, we can have bits trickle down our wet-string connection at a rate marginally faster than writing the numbers down on the back of an envelope and posting them.

Funny thing is, doesn't Japan fairly commonly have 50M/s fibre connections to homes these days? Most people I know in Tokyo have insane connections, and they cost less than mine does... It seemed almost impossible to get less than 10-15M/s. Fastest I've seen in the UK is about 6M, and you have to sell a lung to afford it.

I don't really buy all this stuff about the internet collapsing under the weight - the wider connections people have, the more stuff shifts away from centralised servers and (back) over to peer2peer distribution. So long as the telecoms companies own infrastructures can cope, then the internet as a whole ough to survive.

Back