Sony PS3 / Sound question

saf1

Newcomer
Hi - hoping this is the right forum section - if not, please let me know and I will move it.

I have a quick question I hope regarding the Sony PS3 and sound. I have the PS3 connected up to a 42" Toshiba LCD - the regza line. I wanted to hook up something a bit better for sound as we are using it to watch movies.

I was thinking of picking up the Bose Companion 5 multimedia speakers. I'm not after anything crazy or expensive. Its something to just provide a bit more sound for those days when I just want to kick it after work and watch a movie before sleep.

I was not sure if it would connect up since it appears to be usb based oddly enough. Size wise it seems like a perfect fit and not too obstructive - fitting on the table below the unit.

What does everyone else use for sound or is it tied to your primary entertainment system? Which is what I'm guessing.

Thanks.

Those speaks require Mac OSX or Windows...it appears it's basically a USB sound card + speakers.

I run my cable, 360, ps3 and wii into a Denon AV receiver to a 5.1 speak set-up. Works great.

Looking at Bose's website, the Companion 5 has a stereo mini-jack for external input (outside of the USB port). A composite stereo to mini-jack cable (such as one you can get from Monoprice.com) should do the trick.

But for $400 you may want to consider something like the Z-5500 from Logitech. One of the few small PC speaker setups that has an optical input and DD/DTS decoders.

What's he going to run that mini-jack to? Isn't the PS3's only audio out optical? I suppose he could run it to the TV...logitech has the encoders even if the speaks probably aren't as good.

What's he going to run that mini-jack to? Isn't the PS3's only audio out optical? I suppose he could run it to the TV...logitech has the encoders even if the speaks probably aren't as good.

From the A/V multi-out. The L/R RCA stereo cables (from a component or composite cable) to a composite to mini-jack adapter. Even if he's using HDMI for video he can still use the A/V multi-out for audio.

Thanks everyone. I've not looked at the Logitech - so thanks. The only drawback to the Logitech is the number of speakers. I was trying to keep the setup small. Although I do like the logitech's optical out...

Let me take a look at that a bit more.

Thanks everyone. I've not looked at the Logitech - so thanks. The only drawback to the Logitech is the number of speakers. I was trying to keep the setup small. Although I do like the logitech's optical out...

Let me take a look at that a bit more.

I use the Logitech 5500 with a xbox 360 and they work great. One nice thing with them is they use speaker wires so if you need more length it wont be a problem.

I'm using z5500s with my ps3 right now and it works like a charm. The speaker quality isn't great but probably on the same level as the bose ones you were looking at anyways.

How "bad" are they FBP? might be a nice rig for my second TV with optical out but no AV receiver.

From what I've read the bass is exaggerated with the Z-5500s. Which given the price point I understand what Logitech was doing sine to audio casuals bass is the equivalent of vibrant mode on TVs.

From what I've read the bass is exaggerated with the Z-5500s. Which given the price point I understand what Logitech was doing sine to audio casuals bass is the equivalent of vibrant mode on TVs.

I'm assuming you can adjust it, no?

Back