Sony PS3 Q+A (Leaked)

Shifty Geezer said:
No. On Live! some services like messenging and content like demo's are free. Other content like extra levels or games or armour for your horse costs money. Online gaming requires a subscription to MS, and in some cases a subscription to the game, such as MMOs.

On PS3's service, as it's been explained (and presumably subject to change), access to services like messenging and demo downloads would be free. Other content like extra levels or games or head scarfs for your avatar would cost money. Online gaming would also be free except in some cases where a subscription to the game is required by the develop, such as MMOs.

eg. On PS2 you could play CON or SOCOM for free online, or pay a subscription to play FFXI. On PC you could play GW or NWN for free, or pay a subscription to play WOW. You also don't have to pay to play DS or PSP games online. On Live!, you have to pay a monthly or annual subscription to play any online games save some free weekends and other promos, and I think there it's unique.

To be more precise, it is up to the developers (more likely the publishers) what content is free and which content costs on Xbox Live, regardless of whether it adds to gameplay or not. I'm not sure what the split between content that costs money and that which is free, but there is a plethora of non-gaming free content, and more than a handful of gaming/gameplay related free content. But then there's also, Horse Armor :devilish:

Online multiplayer gaming is in fact a subscription for the MSFT platforms. But I think there is a reason that every time someone asks a Sony rep about their online plans the word "Basic" appears within moments of mentioning "free", that is not unintentional, I'm sure we'll here more at TGS.

As far as MMOs on the 360, my friend merely uses the subscription he had for the PC version of Final Fantasy.

On a bitter side-note, I would gladly pay to have a much better online experience for DS online gaming...gladly. WPA would have been nice as well. I can't speak for the PSP yet, but I may be picking one up soon, I need to get a second DS Lite first, hopefully, its better than N*s method.

Q22. Can you enjoy progressive images with PS and PS2 titles ?
A22. Not only does PS3 convert images from SD to HD, it also converts interlace to progressive images (upward conversion is done by the PS3 system).

:cool: cool!

btw, this looks like a fanmade QA for me but anyway...

EndR said:
will Sony make people pay to download game demos? could be...
sounds like sony-phobia. I don't know about other countries, but in germany they even have a site where you can order dvd/umd-demos. they send them to you free of charge. The amount of traffic in question was cheaper than shipment fees + dvdr last time I checked.
Titanio said:
I think the difference here is that Sony sees all of their revenue potential in content/ads whereas MS sees that potential but also wants a bankable subscription fee.
that's what I think too. they really are hoping to make big money with content, they also gave up peripheral market to a large degree by standardising it.
They can, however provide their own media content, so they'd profit in more ways than say ms ever could.

Also I think they'll use this free online service as a argument in advertisements to explain the higher price. Hopefully (for the consumer) that puts ms under pressure to give up their monthly fee strategy.

Titanio said:
Let's not get into the PC vs 'Computer' debate.

If PS3 being a 'computer' means that beyond the core fixed platform I can use standard storage, or standard USB devices (to whatever degree their driver model allows), and brew my own code on it, then this is a good thing. Those are all welcome cross-overs from the PC space, without inheriting the downsides of a non-fixed spec etc. I can't believe people stumble over the 'computer' talk and ignore the quite compelling practicalities of what they're talking about.

Dont want to turn it into a pc vs computer thing, but the reason they may be stressing it as a "computer" could be for avoiding the double taxation this time around.

Last edited by a moderator:
gokickrocks said:
Dont want to turn it into a pc vs computer thing, but the reason they may be stressing it as a "computer" could be for avoiding the double taxation this time around.

That tax law has been terminated not so long ago i think

Shifty Geezer said:
The PR in this industry is just getting worse. Is it like this in any other tech space? eg. In the 'specs' they have a section The Competition? Meh with a link to the MS created Major Nelson breakdown.

Major Nelson's breakdown was in retaliation to Sony's E3 presser with their idealized X360 comparisons. One year later, those comparisons are no where to be found. Last year it seemed like Sony almost broke its neck to one up the Xbox 360 on the specs sheet. These days we can't even get clockspeeds from Sony. Why anyone else doesn't find this the least bit suspect is beyond me.

Are we still settling for the PR line that "final speeds aren't decided yet" when final silicon is being pressed as we speak?

I think the are comminting suicide with the price. They BETTER lower it.

More amazing than the price is to hear some of you guys planning on buying a 600usd console. The ps3 = pc is just a way of justifying the price.

Sony is being too arrogant. Consoles are to play, everyone has a pc back home(except in 3rd worl countries). We don't need another do it all device.

Of course this is all just MHO. Am I loosing my common sense?

Arsynic said:
Major Nelson's breakdown was in retaliation to Sony's E3 presser with their idealized X360 comparisons. One year later, those comparisons are no where to be found. Last year it seemed like Sony almost broke its neck to one up the Xbox 360 on the specs sheet. These days we can't even get clockspeeds from Sony. Why anyone else doesn't find this the least bit suspect is beyond me.

Are we still settling for the PR line that "final speeds aren't decided yet" when final silicon is being pressed as we speak?

Well..the console hasn´t launched yet and SONY wants to surprise people (in a good way) right before they launch the PS3. Untill there isn't any confirmation about some downgrade then it's ok.

3roxor said:
Well..the console hasn´t launched yet and SONY wants to surprise people (in a good way) right before they launch the PS3. Untill there isn't any confirmation about some downgrade then it's ok.
Is that the new line now? Sony wants to "surprise" people. Okay.

IMO marketing this as a computer is a big mistake.

If you compare the PS3 to other consoles, it's the best of the bunch in terms of hardware, and available software (let's assume the library's will be of similar volume to last gen).
However, comparing it to a PC? Laughable. How many games run on the PS3 operating system vs. Windows? How configurable are they? Can I get mods? Can I burn music? Can I download and watch movies? The list could go on forever.

In terms of being "a computer", it's at best, an extremely limited computer that isn't upgradable. Like a Mac, but with less features and more games.

PS3 was in a prime position to win the console war. IMO Sony are stepping out of their comfort zone here by quite a way.

Personally, this is really frustrating. I want a great games machine for a console which has "console-y" games, like the FF's, racing games, fighting games, etc. I am more than happy with a PC, thanks Sony. I don't want another one that does nothing my current PC does except play PS3 games. Not only that, try convincing my girlfriend why we need "a new computer"!

"So what can you do on it that you can't do on the one we've already got?"

"Play PS3 games?"

"So get the Xbox instead and spend the difference on more games."

Just release a PS3 without the extra next-to-useless functionality and give me a games machine. Thanks :cry:

one said:
Does your current PC play BD-ROM video?

Mine does not, it does however play all of my captured HD content through Media Center to my 360. Technically, everything is on my Intel iMac --> Parallels with a Windows MCE install --> 360.

PARANOiA said:

Just release a PS3 without the extra next-to-useless functionality and give me a games machine. Thanks :cry:

The issue at hand, IMO, is that Sony isn't marketing or even attempting to create a gaming console with the PS3. Sony is trying to leverage two new techs, Cell and Blu-Ray, with the PS3.

They keep saying 'Its a computer' and are going to offer certain functionality because they really want some people to use it that way. They know most people won't, but they aren't focused on 'winning the console war' with the PS3. They are focused in getting Cell and BR out and established. So in 10 years they have no BR competitor and Cell will be competing with Intel and AMD, either in the private sector or the business sector (or both).

Robert.L said:
Arsynic how about you wait till TGS and smimer down until then. okay
In order to simmer down, I would have to be worked up. I'm not.

Wait till the Spring Conference, wait till E3, wait till the Playstation Conference, wait till TGS. I won't hold my breath. Neither should anyone else.

PARANOiA said:

If you compare the PS3 to other consoles, it's the best of the bunch in terms of hardware, and available software (let's assume the library's will be of similar volume to last gen).
However, comparing it to a PC? Laughable. How many games run on the PS3 operating system vs. Windows? How configurable are they? Can I get mods? Can I burn music? Can I download and watch movies? The list could go on forever.

In terms of being "a computer", it's at best, an extremely limited computer that isn't upgradable. Like a Mac, but with less features and more games.

PS3 was in a prime position to win the console war. IMO Sony are stepping out of their comfort zone here by quite a way.

Personally, this is really frustrating. I want a great games machine for a console which has "console-y" games, like the FF's, racing games, fighting games, etc. I am more than happy with a PC, thanks Sony. I don't want another one that does nothing my current PC does except play PS3 games. Not only that, try convincing my girlfriend why we need "a new computer"!

"So what can you do on it that you can't do on the one we've already got?"

"Play PS3 games?"

"So get the Xbox instead and spend the difference on more games."

It's a gamble, I'll give you that much. But you have to understand that Sony as a company (lets ignore the PS brand) has a lot to gain if BD is a success. They'll make more than the PS brand could ever make them.

However, I do believe that both next gen disc formats will be huge failures because the market isn't ready yet. From a mass-market standpoint, DVD just hit critical mass.

RancidLunchmeat said:
They keep saying 'Its a computer' and are going to offer certain functionality because they really want some people to use it that way.

Actually I'd say it's even simpler than that. I THINK if they can make a strong case that it qualifies as a computer, they are entitled to a reduction in import taxes. Witness the case they just lost over the PS2 and trying to call that a computer - they have to pay some extroidinary amount of back taxes now.

PARANOiA said:

Yeah I don't think Sony will do that post launch. They are saying it's a computer because it has computer traits and you can buy computer parts for it. The word "game console" also no longer describes PS3's functionality adequately.

Like MS and Nintendo, Sony will most likely market Playstation using the exclusive franchises, built-in applications, Blu-ray content and online goodies because that's what sell the box. Once those pieces are in, I believe they will start to hype the Playstation brand again.

It's a Playstation... another kind of computer (The same old "opposite-of-workstation" story). Ken's vision hasn't really changed, has it ? It just took him frigging 10 years to get here.

one said:
Does your current PC play BD-ROM video?

How long till it plays?

Anway to make things easier I cant work on it and once PC is primary a working tool I think it is wrong to market it like a PC, it can be a really great machine but it is not a PC or cant replace it (in its current form).

Back